IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Royal Palms of Hollywood, Florida by Drone

GMann

I owned two homes in that neighborhood. Magical place to live, for sure. Those royal palms are mostly from the 1920s. Prior to Manuel Diaz Farms growing them in quantity in the 1980s and 90s, that was by far the biggest grove of royals in Florida

• Upvote 1

Beautiful place.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Beautiful! Broward County really has a special place in my heart. I am planning on relocating there after I finish up schooling. 

• Upvote 2

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Forgot to say, nice job, GMann. Another interesting palm in the video, at the 12-second mark is the corypha utan on Harrison street with the perfectly spiral cut leaf bases. 30 years ago, that tree had a massive head and was the most spectacular palm in the entire neighborhood. It's way past it's glory now. It's interesting to see that it's still there, and just how long a monocarp can live.

• Upvote 2

Nice video! Brings me back; I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale in the early 2000s. Those big fronds can be a hazard when they fall - you do NOT want to be in the line of fire!

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018‎ ‎1‎:‎39‎:‎13‎, kurt decker said:

Forgot to say, nice job, GMann. Another interesting palm in the video, at the 12-second mark is the corypha utan on Harrison street with the perfectly spiral cut leaf bases. 30 years ago, that tree had a massive head and was the most spectacular palm in the entire neighborhood. It's way past it's glory now. It's interesting to see that it's still there, and just how long a monocarp can live.

I lived in the neighborhood for 5 years and always admired it. So naturally I wanted to include it in the video, but at the time of filming the leaves were looking really unhealthy. I included it in the video anyway. But I think just 1 year prior it was looking a lot better.

• Upvote 1

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

17 hours ago, edric said:

Great work Gareth, what kind of quad-copter did you use? thanks, Ed

I am using a DJI Spark. DJI is an amazing company, the Spark is one of their cheapest drones but it works great for my purposes. I have crashed a few times and the last crash actually broke the drone. DJI replaced it for free even though I did not have their insurance policy. With the replacement I got their super cheap insurance policy this time. But generally it makes sense to get a cheap one because they are very easy to crash or lose.

PalmSavannaThumb.jpg

31 minutes ago, GMann said:

I lived in the neighborhood for 5 years and always admired it. So naturally I wanted to include it in the video, but at the time of filming the leaves were looking really unhealthy. I included it in the video anyway. But I think just 1 year prior it was looking a lot better.

Those leaves happen to the royals around here too. Apparently it's caused by the royal palm bug, and the damage is just cosmetic.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Breathtaking, @GMann!

Bravo.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Screamed obscenities into the elevator shaft in the Dark Tower.

Scared the guards . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.