IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus species?

Marius

Hi Everyone

I need this Syagrus species identified please.  I tried under the "Cold Hardy" heading, but got no replies.  All inputs will be welcomed.

Thank you

syagrus1.JPG

syagrus2.JPG

syagrus3.jpeg

syagrus4.jpeg

syagrus5.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Sooo hard at this size to tell apart. Could be a queen, as it's gone pinnate pretty early & the leaflets are getting a plumose look. A similar looking palm at this age is S. picrophylla. Based on the larger Syagrus I'm growing, I think you can rule out botryophora, amara, psuedococos & kellyana; they just have different "looks" at this stage. Hopefully that narrows it a bit...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

A few South Africans --- Adrian Van Rensen Mark Bradshaw ---Bernard Fischer travelled through Brasil Bolivia Columbia--- in the 1990'----I followed by my self ---- but they collected S. coronata ---S. picophylla---S. macrocarpa  and a few other species ----they also did collecting in Venezuela before  the Biennial there -----  alot of seeds were collected and  distributed to folks in the SA palm society ----some of these trees are mature in SA---- it sure likes like S. picophylla but also S. kellyana or S. lorenzinorum (S> picophylla was the species then but Dr. Noblick studied it further and split this species into 3    S. picophylla, S. kellyana, and S. lorenzinorum -----  all of these are beautiful palms -----seeds and flowers will tell for sure ----- unless you have a way to prepare a then section and look at it under a lited microscope at about 50X.  I hope this helps 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, gyuseppe said:

looks a little like my syagrus coronata

It looks a lot like my S coronata too, except it is much chunkier and not greyish. 

12 hours ago, quaman58 said:

Sooo hard at this size to tell apart. Could be a queen, as it's gone pinnate pretty early & the leaflets are getting a plumose look. A similar looking palm at this age is S. picrophylla. Based on the larger Syagrus I'm growing, I think you can rule out botryophora, amara, psuedococos & kellyana; they just have different "looks" at this stage. Hopefully that narrows it a bit...

Thanks. I also suspected that it might be picrophylla. 

7 hours ago, edbrown_III said:

A few South Africans --- Adrian Van Rensen Mark Bradshaw ---Bernard Fischer travelled through Brasil Bolivia Columbia--- in the 1990'----I followed by my self ---- but they collected S. coronata ---S. picophylla---S. macrocarpa  and a few other species ----they also did collecting in Venezuela before  the Biennial there -----  alot of seeds were collected and  distributed to folks in the SA palm society ----some of these trees are mature in SA---- it sure likes like S. picophylla but also S. kellyana or S. lorenzinorum (S> picophylla was the species then but Dr. Noblick studied it further and split this species into 3    S. picophylla, S. kellyana, and S. lorenzinorum -----  all of these are beautiful palms -----seeds and flowers will tell for sure ----- unless you have a way to prepare a then section and look at it under a lited microscope at about 50X.  I hope this helps 

I guess I’ll plant it out into the garden in a sunny sheltered spot and we will see. I hope it’s picrophylla. I have 5 smaller picrophylla from another source. When their leaves divide I can compare them. Thanks for the information. It’s much appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, Marius said:

It looks a lot like my S coronata too, except it is much chunkier and not greyish. 

Is there a bright green form of coronata or are they all greyish green?