IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona Nitida in zone 8?

Swolte

21 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

@Joe NC where did you source that from? Sorry if you mentioned it already in the thread, I just skimmed through

Ebay.  I think the seller was Texas Cold Hardy? I'd have to go back and check.

2 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Ebay.  I think the seller was Texas Cold Hardy? I'd have to go back and check.

Well I hope it's not because i think that's no longer an option

6 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

I haven’t seen him here in awhile? Is he no longer selling palms?

8 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Good news, it was not TCHP.  Bad news, it was Palm_flora a seller from CA, and they don't seem to be selling anything anymore.

• Like 1

@Joe NC nice growth!! What a beauty!  here is an update pic of mine.  Hopefully it will make it thru this winter as well. I just love the super fast growth!!

Ldecora921.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, RJ said:

I haven’t seen him here in awhile? Is he no longer selling palms?

I think that freeze really f*ed him up

14 hours ago, Joe NC said:

Good news, it was not TCHP.  Bad news, it was Palm_flora a seller from CA, and they don't seem to be selling anything anymore.

Damn, well that's too bad. Thanks for looking :shaka-2:

15 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@DAVEinMB - I’m fairly certain Phil has these available at JM 

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have been wondring about this particular palm as it seems it is being heavily used  here in FL for larger scale landscaping  in condo / apartment / housing developments as well as on higway  / road berms / medians / shoulders.    Can anyone here positively ID these as Livistona Nitida? 

Screenshot 2021-09-10 125524.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 125616.png

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DCA_Palm_Fan said:

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I have been wondring about this particular palm as it seems it is being heavily used  here in FL for larger scale landscaping  in condo / apartment / housing developments as well as on higway  / road berms / medians / shoulders.    Can anyone here positively ID these as Livistona Nitida? 

Screenshot 2021-09-10 125524.png

Screenshot 2021-09-10 125616.png

These are Livistona decora (ribbon palm).

• Like 2

Jon Sunder

1 hour ago, Fusca said:

These are Livistona decora (ribbon palm).

That's what I thought and why I asked.  The trunk markings are very similar, but the trunks themselves seem thinner on Decora.   Thanks! 

• 4 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 6:21 PM, DAVEinMB said:

@Joe NC where did you source that from? Sorry if you mentioned it already in the thread, I just skimmed through

Texas cold hardy.

Also, it didn't like 19 degrees and .25 inches of ice....20220206_164335.thumb.jpg.877c975094049cbf75d16b3fe87274b2.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 10:31 AM, Joe NC said:

I'll give this thread a bump.

I planted one (too) close to a SE facing wall of my house in Z8a. It was mostly just an experiment, and my thought process was that it would die eventually some cold winter before getting too large. It has only been planted out for 1 very mild winter, but since being put in the ground it has taken off in growth.  (maybe 1.5' tall last year at this time, now at least 5') 

Now, I'm kind of scared that it might actually make it. (and I wish I had planted it a couple feet out from the wall)

If it makes it to trunking size, it will develop a lean away from the house... right?

20200802_100743.thumb.jpg.76c0c5d6e4e7f5d47a02dc254f0e686f.jpg

I recently ordered one from Lowes and I've been waiting till I can be pretty confident we won't have anymore low 20s temps for the season before I plant it. But I have about a 3' wide space between the east wall of my house and my AC unit. That's where I'm planning to plant it. I'm in Raleigh so I don't expect to have an experience like yours where it REALLY takes off :) I anticipate mine will die back each winter and resprout each spring. But it'll be interesting to see how it goes. 

On 2/24/2022 at 8:29 AM, knikfar said:

I recently ordered one from Lowes

Hold on... Lowes carries L Nitida?

• 5 months later...
On 2/6/2022 at 6:10 PM, Joe NC said:

Texas cold hardy.

Also, it didn't like 19 degrees and .25 inches of ice....20220206_164335.thumb.jpg.877c975094049cbf75d16b3fe87274b2.jpg

Has it recovered? 

10 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Has it recovered? 

Yes, and probably gained a couple of feet of overall height.  Maybe 10 or 12 new leaves? It grows fast.

I think probably 75% of the damaged fronds eventually completely browned and were pruned away.

Don't mind the assorted vines that need to be pulled out of that spiny mess. (Yes there is a cucumber in there)

20220730_091717.thumb.jpg.d828ac164539e7c15233182619308414.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Joe NC said:

Yes, and probably gained a couple of feet of overall height.  Maybe 10 or 12 new leaves? It grows fast.

I think probably 75% of the damaged fronds eventually completely browned and were pruned away.

Don't mind the assorted vines that need to be pulled out of that spiny mess. (Yes there is a cucumber in there)

Right on, definitely looks happy/healthy. I just picked up a small one and I'm trying to figure out where the hell to put it. My protected canopy area is pretty much all used up. I do have some real estate against the house on a somewhat south facing wall but there's zero canopy

33 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

Right on, definitely looks happy/healthy. I just picked up a small one and I'm trying to figure out where the hell to put it. My protected canopy area is pretty much all used up. I do have some real estate against the house on a somewhat south facing wall but there's zero canopy

I have one planted against a west facing wall. It has no cover over it. Seems to be doing well, but slow growing for me. If I can do it than you’re more likely to have success than me with your overall warmer climate. 

Fronds are always flawless after winter unlike Livistona chinensis. 

Edited by Chester B
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I have one planted against a west facing wall. It has no cover over it. Seems to be doing well, but slow growing for me. If I can do it than you’re more likely to have success than me with your overall warmer climate. 

Fronds are always flawless after winter unlike Livistona chinensis. 

I have an l. Decora that's been in the ground through 2 seasons and it seems to be pretty happy so far. I guess if their climate preferences are similar the nitida should enjoy its new home as well

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:25 AM, Joe NC said:

This is making me a tiny bit nervous. I planted one right up against my foundation, under the eaves. I’m in Raleigh so I’m expecting it to behave like a die back perennial and never really gain much height. I’m zone 7b but really close to 8a and also in an urban area. So I’m thinking right up against my foundation is a solid 8a. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knikfar said:

This is making me a tiny bit nervous. I planted one right up against my foundation, under the eaves. I’m in Raleigh so I’m expecting it to behave like a die back perennial and never really gain much height. I’m zone 7b but really close to 8a and also in an urban area. So I’m thinking right up against my foundation is a solid 8a. 

You do not have to worry much if you are going to let it die back every year. Most importantly is sun, the more sun the faster they grow. I do not think they are any more hardy than Washingtonia Robusta.. and not as hardy as a Washingtonia hybrid.

I planted many palms along the foundation, they all bent outward, but not enough for one queen that hit the gutter, but it  was a ENE planting, so It bent back toward the sun ( house) eventually.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

It seems from the reports above that, prior to the 2021 Great Texas Freeze, L. nitida fared better in the slightly drier Texas cold than they did in my garden in wetter southwest Mississippi. I'm curious, what was the outcome after the Texas freeze of '21? I don't recall seeing any reports of L. nitida's success in recovering throughout Texas. Though of course there are many Washingtonia robusta and W. x 'filibusta' that came back in astoundingly cold spots. Does anyone have any success stories? It would be interesting to see where in Texas the "survival line" was for this species, as well as for L. chinensis, L. decipiens/decora and L. saribus, as a point of comparison to Washingtonia.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

1 hour ago, mnorell said:

It seems from the reports above that, prior to the 2021 Great Texas Freeze, L. nitida fared better in the slightly drier Texas cold than they did in my garden in wetter southwest Mississippi. I'm curious, what was the outcome after the Texas freeze of '21? I don't recall seeing any reports of L. nitida's success in recovering throughout Texas. Though of course there are many Washingtonia robusta and W. x 'filibusta' that came back in astoundingly cold spots. Does anyone have any success stories? It would be interesting to see where in Texas the "survival line" was for this species, as well as for L. chinensis, L. decipiens/decora and L. saribus, as a point of comparison to Washingtonia.

Here are some Livistona stumps and a couple survivors from NW Houston. I think the one tall one that left is a Decipiens, but not sure….  This area only stronger Hybrid Washingtonia survived. More than 50% died. 

A few Chineses of mine survived 4F, but just recently in the last couple weeks one died. Personally, I had bad experience with Saribus and Decipiens, and their thorns that I took them out long ago. I had a Mariae that I loved I lost to either 17F or 15F. 

E133D2AC-6ABD-45D2-B6B0-416C872FB961.jpeg

9807A961-A95B-44BF-901F-648E7ABA8DB1.jpeg

6BE28267-35F9-45A5-9AFD-D79E92CCD896.jpeg

02720ED1-A5F1-4F3F-BC7F-BD89621D3713.jpeg

F2D18A43-1007-4F96-945A-C4B26469E570.jpeg

E8B0F743-EF6B-4CE4-BA29-85074AB3C298.jpeg

63A57706-234F-41C4-A677-44E44B89171F.jpeg

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Thanks for posting those, Ryan. I'm surprised to see even those L. chinensis with aerial trunks having survived. The tall maybe-decipiens mystery species seems a little odd-looking in the crown but it's very impressive that it made it. Who can blame it for looking a little out of sorts even a year and a half later? At least those Rhapis and Chamaedorea are on their way back. And aside from those strong-willed herbaceous materials (Musa, Hedychium, Curcuma, Colocasia, Alocasia) pictured, I also notice Jatropha integerrima and some sort of Bauhinia in the one bed. I had observed Jatropha's ability to rebound strongly from the roots after I planted some in my old Natchez garden and they popped right back year after year. It's always refreshing to see those resilient, fast-growing materials that help diffuse the devastating losses. Do you know what temps and duration were experienced in that Houston garden?

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)