IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why are the people on CityData.com so ignorant?

NC_Palms

Has anyone noticed that the users of City Data.com are lacking some extreme basic knowledge when it comes to palms, ecology, and climate?

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

I notice that people on other forums not dedicated specifically to palms and other tropicals tend to post ignorant things about palms etc. But I don't blame them, because they are probably not palm addicts like 99% of the members on this forum. So they tend to know only basic knowledge of palms and also tend to get palm names and other facts about palms mixed up. But like you said with lacking extreme basic knowledge, I have seen a few of these (typically people confusing Sabal minor and Saw Palmetto, things like that) posts there. But on the other hand, I have seen some posts about palms that seem extremely accurate (from what I know). 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
Typos
  • Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

Some of it is intentional...the weather forum is filled with trolls and people with hidden agendas.  Can be quite toxic haha

• Upvote 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Never been to citydata.com. Is it worth it? I mean, besides the palm ignorance and trolls? 

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 9/24/2018, 11:13:11, PalmTreeDude said:

I notice that people on other forums not dedicated specifically to palms and other tropicals tend to post ignorant things about palms etc. But I don't blame them, because they are probably not palm addicts like 99% of the members on this forum. So they tend to know only basic knowledge of palms and also tend to get palm names and other facts about palms mixed up. But like you said with lacking extreme basic knowledge, I have seen a few of these (typically people confusing Sabal minor and Saw Palmetto, things like that) posts there. But on the other hand, I have seen some posts about palms that seem extremely accurate (from what I know). 

Nah I have seen much worse than someone just mixing up species. For example "palms can only be grown in Florida and California" is a common one. 

On 9/26/2018, 8:31:20, Missi said:

Never been to citydata.com. Is it worth it? I mean, besides the palm ignorance and trolls? 

I think it may be when trying to find a place to live or when you want to compare living standards in cities and states. But still lots of trolls in that section too. 

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC