IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

cycas panzhihuaensis x debaoensis

JubaeaMan138

I imagine this cross would be similar to revoluta x debaoensis, but this cross doesn't have the bifid leaflets like the revo x deb. Nice cycad! I need to make it down to Kevin's place soon. It's been about 2 years since I was there last.  

They are much floppier than rxd.  Our largest one has around 8" caudex and will cone in 2020 if it doesnt next year. 

Yep josue your right no bifid to them he had some others that I think he had some that had bifid leaves I remember him saying I just picked out the biggest droopiest looking one I could find 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Yep josue your right no bifid to them he had some others that I think he had some that had bifid leaves I remember him saying I just picked out the biggest droopiest looking one I could find 

I guess it could develop bifid leaves later. It's still a really cool plant. 

10 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

I guess it isn't surprising that there would be some variation in the plants depending on how much of one versus the other parent they take after.  I had a Cycas tropophylla x micholitzii which I lost to rot before putting it in the ground and every new leaf was bifid.  I ended up trying again, and the new plant flushes some leaves bifid and others without any splits.  This year the pups put out a couple of leaves with one leaf bifid and the other not split.  So you can get some variation.  I'm watching the current flush on mine to see what the main caudex does this time.

I guess since the debaoensis cross that I will be most interested in seeing is if anyone can do a C cupida or C cairnsiana cross to see if a blue colored bifid cross can be attained. 

20180920-104A0654.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I have the Revoluta x debaeoensis as well which is pictured. Has a lot of the bifid leaves. I really like the floppy leaf look of the panzhihuaensis hybrid. 3AE76EC1-7844-4BCB-A34A-A2BAD0F949D4.thuI also think it will be a more attractive hybrid than the Revoluta hybrid as they get bigger. 

EFC67B2D-D104-437F-8FE0-5AE7E8BF90FD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

• 2 years later...
On 9/21/2018 at 12:29 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Just picked this guy up from mr weaver nice 5 gallon plant . Anybody got any big mature specimens of these to show off?

EAE252CC-30FB-4130-A3A8-2E5062B7EE29.jpeg

How’s this puppy looking?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 4 weeks later...

I crossed Revoluta with Multifrondis last year and this year.  Of the hundred or so germinated only a couple have have bifid leaves.  May have to plant these up and keep them growing to see how they develop.  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I did eventually get one of these from Kevin Weaver. It takes cold and sun without so much as flinching. It's hard to get a good picture of it, but hopefully these pictures show the droopiness of panzhihuaensis x deboaensis. 

20211203_145916.jpg

20211203_145902.jpg

20211203_145834.jpg

20211203_145733.jpg

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

hopefully these pictures show the droopiness of panzhihuaensis x deboaensis. 

It's timely that you posted this.  This hybrid just came up in a conversation this morning when  a friend was over, and he was mentioning that his plant of this same cross is proving to be a great looking plant .  Thanks for sharing he updated post Josue!  I can now visualize what he was describing.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

51 minutes ago, Tracy said:

It's timely that you posted this.  This hybrid just came up in a conversation this morning when  a friend was over, and he was mentioning that his plant of this same cross is proving to be a great looking plant .  Thanks for sharing he updated post Josue!  I can now visualize what he was describing.

Glad it helps! I like this hybrid a lot