IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Play Pick Three!

Cindy Adair

Potted palms at a Nursury in Darwin's rural outskirts ( Humpty Doo ) Arnhem Nursury is a green shady oasis in an otherwise sunbaked and seasonally drought afflicted landscape about 25 miles inland from Darwin. Brutal heat and humidity at this time of the year....locals call it the "build up" ie build up to the impending monsoonal wet season. Also known as the 'silly season' and many people also suffer from 'mango madness' ( its also mango fruit season about now ).

In any case the silly season and mango madness seems to have some relationship with the spike in cold beer consumption at this time of the year.....

Arnhem Nursury has a magnificent shaded area provided by some huge old African Mahogany trees and the temp actually feels 15* cooler when you enter.

Can't believe there is a market for these..... lol.... common all over the city, easy to pick up sprouted nuts along the foreshore

nyplGUvh.jpg

Nice Verschaffeltia Splendida..... and only AU$45.00 !..... ( note to self, "resist the temptation.... " )

uzCGitdh.jpg

And Royals.... 10 bucks and 35 bucks for this size.

O7rkn5dh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I've been enjoying all the pick three "entries" while traveling. Thanks! On my return to Puerto Rico these are the 3 that first caught my eye.

Calyptrocalyx sp. Puah which always looks nice but the red leaf shouts for attention.

DSCN9340.thumb.jpg.f0a0221b66ddc08bc7583

Licuala khoonmengii flowering again. Maybe seed this time around?

DSCN9346.thumb.jpg.94f212049fad3f912ddcc

I guess I need to remove some of the Episcia I planted as a ground cover before it engulfs the Licuala. Its surface roots makes that easy and plenty of places to use it elsewhere.

DSCN9343.thumb.jpg.4bb8e8726a0bf1dc9627d

And here is Chamaedorea adscendens, one of three. I find it hard to photograph. In real life it is not variegated, but has a velvety bluish color.

DSCN9347.thumb.jpg.924a2ffb43524031a23d0

• Upvote 4

Cindy Adair

How about 3 more?

Chamaerops humilis Vulcano - doubled in size since last year.

5bbfafb44e115_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano015bbfafc149447_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano025bbfafd29f4b9_ChamaeropshumilisVulcano03

Coccothrinax argentata - FL native silver palm

5bbfb02b59203_Coccothrinaxargentata0110-5bbfb06520cdc_Coccothrinaxargentata0310-

Pseuodophoenix sargentii v Navasana - loaded with seeds

5bbfb0fa613b8_PseudophoenixsargentiiNava5bbfb108a5072_PseuodphoenixsargentiilNav5bbfb119eb945_PseudophoenixsargentiiNava

Bonus palm: Tahina spectabilis

5bbfb197e4695_Tahinaspectabilis0110-11-1

• Upvote 8

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Lol the last 2 leafs were stunted and now it is throwing out a good size lead. I taught this lamour was a gonner

Today's "pick three" comes from my recent trip to the wonderland of Palms - Floribunda nursery! 

Dypsis Mananjarensis

IMG_1231.thumb.JPG.8c2f31786f274a2a7fb9f

Dypsis Pembana (solitary)

IMG_1235.thumb.JPG.d27143c4b53fc1cdaef5f

Dypsis Leucomalla 

IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.d7e8459d641f2d33b5c27

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hilo Jason said:

Today's "pick three" comes from my recent trip to the wonderland of Palms - Floribunda nursery! 

Dypsis Mananjarensis

Dypsis Pembana (solitary)

Dypsis Leucomalla 

IMG_1239.thumb.JPG.d7e8459d641f2d33b5c27

Primo place for palm-spotting, and that Dypsis leucomalla is to be envied! Awesome, thanks for posting these pics.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I've been weeding 60 minutes each weekday this week and capped it off with a full day today.  My pick 3 are the coconuts now that their beds are weed-free:

First up, my two Jamaican Tall coconuts (in the ground 18 months):

0000_Jamaican_Talls_1600.jpg

Second in line, my Maypan coconut (also 18 months in the ground):

0001_Maypan_1600.jpg

Bonus?  The elder statesman of the coconut palms on my property; a Green Malayan Dwarf grown in half a day of shade for 7 years:

0002_Green_Malayan_Dwarf_1600.jpg

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Today’s pick 3 are….

Pinanga maculata, Areca vestiaria and Beccariophoenix fenestralis

IMG_8230.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8513.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Very stylish display cm005! Great to see so many palm lovers in a variety of climates. Thanks!

20 hours ago, BPK Palm Addict said:

Today’s pick 3 are….

Pinanga maculata, Areca vestiaria and Beccariophoenix fenestralis

IMG_8230.jpg

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8513.jpg

Beautiful palms, beautifully grown and photographed! Thanks!

Cindy Adair

kinzyjr, nice coconuts!

And an excellent idea to weed an area pushing to clear three palm trees and then post the results when completed!

For so many coconut palms were our gateway palms that led us to full fledged addiction involving a move to the tropics for some. I plead guilty. Hmm, I wonder how many of us here would admit they were partly or even largely influenced to live where favorite palm trees grow better? Could be an interesting survey topic.

Jason, Tim and Jason your Hawaiian palms and those at Floribunda look picture perfect and make us all forget about your recent disasters. Such happy trees.

Meg it was so good to see you and Tim at Mounts! I wish we could have chatted longer. I always enjoy your posts and your recent lovely photos make me nearly forget how Irma nailed you last year. The Dypsis sp. Malagasy from you years ago should be part of a future Pick three (or Dypsis) post since it is now in sufficient sun on my new farm and growing fine.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

• 1 year later...

Bump!

My three — Wodyetia, Veitchia, and a Wod-Veitchia (aka Foxy lady). I thought it was a clever planting on my part.I’ve been surprised that the Veitchia has grown so well in SoCal. I’m not sure the species, but it came from Mark in Oceanside (to give a little plug to a cool guy with great plants!). 

0EB2ECC5-BF02-41CB-9F0D-1B6C02C55680.thumb.jpeg.f9b348ba93bf98a76272fb2079930531.jpeg

• Like 1

I was tired after digging and clearing this afternoon so decided I'd "pick three" palms. 

First is a Iguanura tenuis whose new leaf is nearly black.

DSCN1542.thumb.jpg.dff3d0659c774a388f8d0550058d0707.jpg

DSCN1543.thumb.jpg.50607bbca4a1d70bb99c1ae90c3ad1b9.jpg

Next Calyptrocalyx polyphyllus

DSCN1545.thumb.jpg.e7da5fdb4b31ee0b5c88d95932fe8109.jpg

DSCN1547.thumb.jpg.8b73494e50422194b3020b215352cb00.jpg

And a long awaited new leaf on my only Welfia regia

DSCN1550.thumb.jpg.efa9cd9492a75be33ec2cfd0e0d9ef67.jpg

Feel free to add more photos of your three picks of each day, no rules.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Areca macrocalyx, no photograph enhancements. The intensity of red varies from time to time. Been a bit dry lately and the color is off the charts. 

Calyptrocalyx sanumb

Joey magnifica

Tim

IMG_5181.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I am so impressed with these!

After a full day of less than glamorous work mostly in the hot sun, it is lovely to remind myself of future palm possibilities!

Thanks!

Anybody else care to play?

Cindy Adair