IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sad day - blue crownshaft palms succumbed to SO2

Justin

Today was my first day back in Leilani Estates since mid-June.  I was here right after the eruption started, and for the first week or two, the garden looked perfect, not even a hint of damage.  I had to leave for a couple weeks, but then came back in late May and stayed until the second week of June, and during that trip there was noticeable damage to a couple palms, including the Wettinia and the Mauritellia.  Several other plants also looked damaged and/or stressed on that trip.  So when I came back this time, I was hoping for the best and expecting the worst, but not really knowing where on the spectrum my garden would fall.  Overall, the garden looks pretty good, considering it was pelted with tephra, Pele's hair, and acid rain for three months. 

But unfortunately, of the deceased, three of the palms that succumbed just happened to be three of my favorites, and coincidentally all with blue crownshafts.  The Socratea, the Wettinia, and one of my two Dictyocaryums are no more. :(  I have one remaining Dictyocaryum that actually looks pretty good - I can only assume it's spot underneath the Banyan tree saved it from some of the gases and/or rain.  If anyone knows of any sources with any of these three species, I'd be happy to know, as I'd like to replant ASAP.

I lost a Lemurophoenix as well, but it was declining earlier this year before the eruption started, so I can't fully blame the volcano.  My other Lemurophoenixes are all much worse for wear, but I am cautiously optimistic, as they each have one green frond and one emerging spear, so hopefully they're on the road to recovery.

Dypsis species all range from little damage to no damage.  The same goes for the Pinangas.  Most of my dicot trees don't appear to have any damage at all, and if anything have shown increased growth (although that could have just been because it was summertime with more sunlight).  The bamboo doesn't seem to have skipped a beat either.

So I know I should be happier, but it just sucks when the victims are not easily replaceable.

• Upvote 4

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

On one had I want pix, on the other hand...I feel your pain. Sorry Justin.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Justin,

Yeah, that's unfortunate with all the ones that have major damage or have simply died. I have a similar experience with many of mine. Larger Lemurophoenix seem to be hanging in there but I have lost five smaller ones (about two ft tall). I have about ten Dictyocaryum, all roughly 8-13 ft in overall height. All have major damage and many are in all likelihood dead. A few are pushing a new spike, though. Size seems to matter with many of the palms that show damage - larger specimens much less damage while smaller ones are typically dead. Smaller slender Dypsis in many cases have simply lost their crowns.

I am surprised about your Mauritella comment. The one in the photo is not mine - it's on Luana Street, about 300 yards or so directly south of Fissure 8, and it's clearly a survivor. Took the photo Sunday Sep. 2nd. (There are other Mauritiellas close by - next time I get a chance, I will inspect them).

Bo-Göran

DSC_0422.JPG

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

7 hours ago, bgl said:

DSC_0422.JPG

The photo really shows the devastation with so little green remaining. 

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

On one had I want pix, on the other hand...I feel your pain. Sorry Justin.

There will be no photos.  My hope is to replace them ASAP and forget what they looked like yesterday.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Sad report, but very consistent with my experience closer to the impact zone. I too notice that palms with some overhead protection fared better than those out in the open. I have 2 Orania sp. -- one palm in the open is a little crispy, but holds one green leaf and is pushing a spear. The palm close to the fence with plants overhead spilling onto my side looks almost normal. My little Geonoma schottiana was fortunately sheltered by a Michelia alba tree; it had been perfection, holding dozens of fronds, but lost so many of the lower fronds. If it hadn't been sheltered by the tree, I'm sure it would be dead.

The Dictyocarium lamarckianum seem to be extremely sensitive to the acid rain. I hope Floribunda will come to the rescue at some point with seedlings. Only 2 of my 6 show an attempt at a new green leaf.

Still, when we consider the massive extent of the flow over a fairly long period, we are very lucky our gardens even exist, and that so many palms fared so well.

I notice some things actually appreciated the acid treatments -- bamboos, full-size citrus trees, and Hibiscus were beneficiaries. Even the baby Ohi'a trees look really happy.

I heard another person mention her Mauritiella were damaged and she is not even in Leilani. (Bo - how far is Mary Beth from the fissures?) Tracy, I think the green leaves in the Mauritiella photo are newly emerged after the flow paused.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I am so sorry Kim, Bo and Justin for the loss of your treasures.

I knew little about the potential for toxic gases damaging plants with volcanic eruptions before Hawaii's recent tragedy and all the excellent but tragic coverage posted on PT.

I do hope the worst is over and Pele will rest for many years.

Cindy Adair

Sorry to hear about these losses Justin.  I hope you can find replacements for them soon and if I see any around I will let you know. 

Sorry, have been off line for a couple of days (side trip to Tallinn, Estonia, but no palms there! :( ). Unfortunately, Dictyocaryum "replacements" are very unlikely. I don't believe any have been available since the most recent batch, some 5-6 years ago (at least) but of course it never hurts to check with our #1 supplier: Floribunda Palms! :)  And Kim: Mary Beth's place in Hawaiian Paradise Park must be around 7-8 miles north of the recent volcanic eruptions, and of course with the prevailing winds going in the absolute opposite direction so her damage is really surprising. Presumably very limited.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm