IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spreading the love of palms

Josue Diaz

I've read threads on here about spreading the love (read obsession) of palms with friends and neighbors.

Today, a success story from my neighborhood: after seeing palms slowly take over my front yard, my neighbor across the street asked about planting one in her front yard. I was super happy to plant this parajubaea for her. Here she is, happy palm, happy palm owner.

20180916_155806.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 19

4 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I've read threads on here about spreading the love (read obsession) of palms with friends and neighbors.

Today, a success story from my neighborhood: after seeing palms slowly take over my front yard, my neighbor across the street asked about planting one in her front yard. I was super happy to plant this parajubaea for her. Here she is, happy palm, happy palm owner.

20180916_155806.jpg

That’s awesome Josue, as well as very generous. That palm will be a monster someday. Hopefully others in the neighborhood will catch the palm bug. 

So kind of you. Beautiful palm and your neighbor looks happy indeed.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 years later...

Sad to say, this palm was removed over the weekend by the new homeowners to accommodate a bounce house...

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Sad to say, this palm was removed over the weekend by the new homeowners to accommodate a bounce house...

Wow. Some people have zero taste...? Yikes. What a bummer. :(

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

I'm surprised no one at that house offered to give you that palm? I know the feeling when that happens. I've revisited properties where I lived in the past and was disappointed to see which trees (incl. palms) the current owners had removed or were neglecting. I'm enjoying my own garden while I live here. It's over-planted but it'll be decades before that's an issue... and by then it may be someone else's problem to deal with. ;)

• Like 1

Never assume that your gifts will be appreciated by others as much as yourself.

I grew from seed five palms of Ceroxylon parvifrons, the best ones from a seed lot of 100 seeds.  I donated these five, the pick of the whole seed lot, as fat, vibrant 5-gallon palms to the SF Botanical Garden with explicit instructions about the species requirements, only to see my donation mistreated and poorly utilized.  :(    Never again.

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

19 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

You should give these new homeowners a thorny Bougainvillea...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

It’s sad in a way, that some of the stuff we find fascinating, and have a great love for, is just a bunch of weeds to most homeowners.   But then again, their sports car is just “a car”, to me too.     So I guess we have all have our specific wants and likes.  

I try to think way head with stuff....  I think out 20+ years...   I spend so much time right now correcting what previous owners lazily made “the next owners problem”, that I refuse to leave a mess for the next guy....  whether it be plumbing, electrical, drainage, wood quality....  or palm plantings.    It just isn’t in my nature.

But I guess someone might still come along someday with a bulldozer and create a nice open lawn again.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darold Petty said:

I grew from seed five palms of Ceroxylon parvifrons, the best ones from a seed lot of 100 seeds.  I donated these five, the pick of the whole seed lot, as fat, vibrant 5-gallon palms to the SF Botanical Garden with explicit instructions about the species requirements, only to see my donation mistreated and poorly utilized.  :(    Never again.

But in some cases they are. The two rare Ravenea seedlings gifted to me by Darold are healthy and ready to be moved to 5 gals, and eventually to prized locations in my garden. Thanks again Darold.

• Like 4

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

That's great news, Dean.  Congratulations !  :greenthumb:

San Francisco, California

2 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

SF Botanical garden bungled your gift? That’s very disappointing and somewhat surprising. 

On 4/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, Fusca said:

You should give these new homeowners a thorny Bougainvillea...

lol

On 4/6/2021 at 11:43 AM, ExperimentalGrower said:

SF Botanical garden bungled your gift? That’s very disappointing and somewhat surprising. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:36 AM, Darold Petty said:

I gifted the SF botanical my 3 biggest and healthiest fernaldia pandurata for their Mesoamerican cloudforest. I don't think they ever made it into the ground.

• Like 1

Birds have gifted a couple neighbors some palms of mine (seeds) that they surprisingly let grow. Luckily they were Sabals so they survived the Texas Freeze of Feb 2021. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I gave a pretty nice (small 2 gallon) Kentia to an employee. Her little sisters friend got bored after school one day and cut all of my employee and her mom's plants down with scissors. 

tumblr_m2lvqc7EVb1ru3ss4o1_250.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

lol

I gifted the SF botanical my 3 biggest and healthiest fernaldia pandurata for their Mesoamerican cloudforest. I don't think they ever made it into the ground.

Even after they confirmed they would take them for the garden? :/

This is a new plant to me. Very interesting.

1 hour ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I gave a pretty nice (small 2 gallon) Kentia to an employee. Her little sisters friend got bored after school one day and cut all of my employee and her mom's plants down with scissors. 

tumblr_m2lvqc7EVb1ru3ss4o1_250.png

Grounded for life! Lol what child does this???

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ExperimentalGrower said:

Grounded for life! Lol what child does this???

Really makes me wanna get a vasectomy.