IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Seedlings and LED tape grow lights

Si

I have an LED tape(blue and red spectrum) set up on three levels within my shed nursery. Looking for positive comments  from other members who are also doing this and how it has affected growth. Also are you using a timer plug or running 24/7? Thanks!!

10DF3456-C6D7-493C-AA5C-17873BF9D895.jpeg

E6E6C548-53C7-4848-AA5A-F1C37798F523.jpeg

• Upvote 2

@Si Hello, I tried many LEDs and most of them wasn't good at all. It depends on LED chips and watts. I have a very good contact to seller with excellent LEDs for a fair price. Where did you buy it and how much watts does it have? I recommend you to get additional light, it seems to be very dark to have a healthy and strong growing rate. You can also download apk called "light meter", it will show you how many luxes your light has and you can tell us +/- your number. Everything bellow 2000 lx is not enough. Especially for full sun subtropical palms.

Happy growing,

Vojtech P.

• Upvote 1

I’m not using led strip lights. But actually full spectrum led lights from amazon. I’ve had huge success with very healthy seedlings so far

818D543B-ABAF-4537-93F8-D40C76EF337A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2018, 12:11:43, Rickybobby said:

I’m not using led strip lights. But actually full spectrum led lights from amazon. I’ve had huge success with very healthy seedlings so far

818D543B-ABAF-4537-93F8-D40C76EF337A.jpeg

Amazing those are passively cooled. The one I purchased from Amazon has fans, which actually heat up my closet nicely for when I started my peppers last winter.Here is the one I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Spectrum-Greenhouse-Flowering-Growing/dp/B0183Z7Z56

KNG Grow light.jpg

4 hours ago, RJ said:

Amazing those are passively cooled. The one I purchased from Amazon has fans, which actually heat up my closet nicely for when I started my peppers last winter.Here is the one I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Spectrum-Greenhouse-Flowering-Growing/dp/B0183Z7Z56

KNG Grow light.jpg

Nice ! Even though mine are supposed to be 45w. They get pretty warm. And I use them to warm the room up. 

600w wow. Only issue is power usage. And not being worth it to pay the larger monthly bill for palms you can’t get much money for.  I’m 50/50 keeping some for hobby and selling the rest

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Rickybobby said:

600w wow. Only issue is power usage. And not being worth it to pay the larger monthly bill for palms you can’t get much money for.  I’m 50/50 keeping some for hobby and selling the rest

That's incandescent light equivalent, it actually draws about 150w running. Much like how 60w LED bulbs actually draw a fraction of 60w but produce the equivalent of a 60w incandescent bulb in terms of lumens. Hope that makes sense ;)

P.S. Do you get your electricity from Hydro Quebec? I have friends outside of Montreal and they pay some of the cheapest electric rates I have ever seen. 

Edited by RJ

2 hours ago, RJ said:

That's incandescent light equivalent, it actually draws about 150w running. Much like how 60w LED bulbs actually draw a fraction of 60w but produce the equivalent of a 60w incandescent bulb in terms of lumens. Hope that makes sense ;)

P.S. Do you get your electricity from Hydro Quebec? I have friends outside of Montreal and they pay some of the cheapest electric rates I have ever seen. 

Lol I’m in Ontario and Kathleen Wynne completely screwed is for hydro. That’s why she had a record low vote for election and should have resigned.  Had less than 13 percent votes. Totally ruined the province. Unfortunately our hydro comes from Niagara fallsFalls

have you had any leave scorch with your leds? I'm trying my hand at Macarthur palms and all the small fronds are bleached now. Yet my other tropicals are fine. Might need to setup some sort of shade