IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

So Cal Bentinckia Condapanna update (6 years)

Jastin

Hey guys, 

Its been a looooooong time! I’ve been in the garden lately and decided to do an update. I thought this palm deserved a separate thread. I got this from FB on the second batch around 2012 (planted one from the first batch Jeff put out and it’s still the size of a 1 gal). This was 3 palms put together (1 one gal, two 4”) and unfortunately one of them still looks like a shrimp. I caged it, amended the soil and have it on drip one time a week (2x in summer). It’s planted on the west side of the house and gets around 6 hours plus of sun now that it’s over the roof line. Total height is around 10 feet, 6’ where the spear starts. I also haven't fertilized in about 4 years.

Happy growing :)

F451C9F7-2447-40BB-AE96-0FEC7CBD329C.jpeg

4F822BE0-7E95-4E7D-AA0F-DBFA1B8B9C46.jpeg

4952CC5C-035A-4A73-B2D0-B1E23E465012.jpeg

80240B47-F347-4CD6-8917-C657C10F3326.jpeg

Edited by Jastin
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 20

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

What an absolutely hideous rious palm. You should be embarrassed posting that here. 

Jealousy is an ugly thing. 

Your benny is the biggest and best looking one I’ve seen in California. Congratulations on this one buddy. 

Edited by Stevetoad
  • Upvote 4

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I suspect witchcraft, or sorcery . . . . :bemused:

I can't recall anything anywhere near that size here in that short a time! :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Really nice, I planted three out about the same time, at a clients garden. Only one left and it isnt near your medium sized one. Funny supposed to grow fast, but slow for me here in East Oahu. Maybe the consistent hot dryer weather compared to wet side Big Island.

aloha

• Upvote 1

Looking robust and fantastic, Jastin! 13 rings of trunk is the most I have seen in so cal, by far.

• Upvote 3

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

35 minutes ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

Looking robust and fantastic, Jastin! 13 rings of trunk is the most I have seen in so cal, by far.

Thanks Brett! You see that palm to the right of it in the second picture?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jastin said:

Thanks Brett! You see that palm to the right of it in the second picture?

Oh yeah!  That is the L. Decora you transplanted from my driveway. Looking real nice!

• Upvote 2

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

4 hours ago, Jastin said:

You see that palm to the right of it in the second picture

Which raises the question as to how much additional shade does it get from the Livistonia?  It looks like you also have a Archontophoenix to the left.  Just to confirm the orientation, the house is east of all three, and Livistonia and Archontophoenix are north and south of the Bentinckia?  It looks great :greenthumb: , so I'm trying to gauge how much of that sunlight is filtered versus direct.  I considered trying one but never did.

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Wow, Blessed genetics! Just beautiful.

-Randy

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Which raises the question as to how much additional shade does it get from the Livistonia?  It looks like you also have a Archontophoenix to the left.  Just to confirm the orientation, the house is east of all three, and Livistonia and Archontophoenix are north and south of the Bentinckia?  It looks great :greenthumb: , so I'm trying to gauge how much of that sunlight is filtered versus direct.  I considered trying one but never did.

Yes you are correct on the orientation. I’ll keep an eye on it tomorrow and let you know for the lighting. 

Beautifully grown Jastin, by far the best example of one I’ve seen in SoCal. The best ones I’ve seen (including mine) are growing in partial shade, but like yours, then search out as much sun as they can.  Great shots!

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

very nice...!

it is actually a blessing to have them slow down a bit, they are so dang fast here in Hawaii and dont look nearly as cool when they're fully grown (in my opinion)

awesome pachypodiums, as well!

• Upvote 1

Funny post here Jastin, when I first popped on tonight, I went to notices to check your reply on my "history" thread. The next thought I had was "Cool that Jastin replied, I should harass him to post a pic of his condapanna"!  Lol, and here you are!! I often tell people you have the best Bentinckia condapanna I know of in So Cal and here is proof! Stellar! I am still trying to figure out the secret to what they like and have concluded they "suffer" from the old phrase that Dypsis Dean and I know as the "Hedyscepe complex". It has had more failures than successes, BUT when you find the superior example, they seem to work in a moderate to wide range of environment.  I have seem decent ones in shade, half day sun or more, clay or loose soil. If you find the good example it seems to work no matter what you do. (I will concede decent growers will get even more from the superior ones! Mark McGinnis also has one doing exceptionally well too.

Well done Sir! (and welcome back)

• Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Jastin, it's great to see you post here and thanks for updating us on this incredible palm!  Hope to see more of your garden on here. 

• Upvote 1

Sweetness. You and Gary Levine have done great with these. Wish mine looked like yours. 

• Upvote 1

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

22 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I am still trying to figure out the secret to what they like and have concluded they "suffer" from the old phrase that Dypsis Dean and I know as the "Hedyscepe complex". It has had more failures than successes, BUT when you find the superior example, they seem to work in a moderate to wide range of environment. 

I agree completely.   

nicely done!!!! I have 3 in the ground now at my nursery. maybe someday they will grow up to look like yours.

• Upvote 2

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Thank You Jastin for showing us here in Southern California what is possible.  Here are pictures of mine planted out straight away from a FB 1 gallon. Two Winters in ground third upcoming.

P9120742 (Large).jpeg

P9120743 (Large).jpeg

P9120744 (Large).jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

looks great! I kinda regret turning mine into a triple because i feel like it would have been fatter as a single.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Time for a bump / update jastin how's that beautiful Benny doing. Or anyone else's in a not so perfect climate 

15 minutes ago, akamu said:

Time for a bump / update jastin how's that beautiful Benny doing. Or anyone else's in a not so perfect climate 

Your right! I’ll let him know the masses are requesting an up date. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I’ll post one tomorrow! One of the 3 didn’t grow so I cut it out. It will be crowding the walkway to the front door for the next 15 years. My irrigation was accidentally turned off for 2 years in that planter...still haven’t fertilized. I wish it was fatter but still beautiful and alive! 

1 hour ago, Jastin said:

I’ll post one tomorrow! One of the 3 didn’t grow so I cut it out. It will be crowding the walkway to the front door for the next 15 years. My irrigation was accidentally turned off for 2 years in that planter...still haven’t fertilized. I wish it was fatter but still beautiful and alive! 

Not good enough. Get out there and update us now. Your neighbors don’t care that you’re in your scooby doo underwear. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

While we are waiting for Jastin to change out of his Scooby-Doo underwear. Tom J do you have any updates on your Condapana and what cultural conditions it's growing in orientation, sun exposure, soil, etc. I am getting ready to plant a 2nd one 8 miles inland .

Wow! That’s pretty impressive. They have really grown. 

Tim 

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

What a beautiful specimen, I love those colors...and your house and garden looks to me like it is in Key West! Great job...on what I think is a difficult genus. Obviously you have done everything right and are in a "sweet spot" (it must love that "zone 23" land). I had a six-foot Bentinckia nicobarica in the Keys that I got from Jeff Searle...a very nice specimen but once planted was just never happy. It was slow, hated the limestone and was endlessly chlorotic. It was also under a very spreading Delonix regia and I think it wanted more sun...Finally hurricane Irma finished off that sad, straggling memory of its one-time self. 

And about the triple-planting issue...I have a friend in the Florida Keys who planted a triple of Jamaican coconuts. One grew like a bolt of lightning, another did "okay" and the third sat there like a sad puppy. For various reasons, the biggest one was removed, then the middle one started growing faster but eventually hit the chopping block (I think that was from physical damage during Irma)...now he says that littlest sad critter is racing for the moon! So it just goes to show that sometimes a party like that isn't fun for all involved! Resources, resources, resources.

And love your kitty-cat...

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

3 hours ago, Jastin said:

89CC3F49-C07C-406D-AADD-8B4E3148C763.jpeg

AF8F2060-ADAA-4A68-8CE5-F48A086390C1.jpeg

A2DBB5FC-071B-4A59-87D1-79338197D117.jpeg

011BEA66-B1FA-417C-B4B6-329E9F7B31DE.jpeg

She’s a beauty. 

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Jastin thanks for updating this post  your Bennies are looking fantastic . So the irritation was off for 2yrs did you do any supplemental watering ?