IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 20th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- October 5th, 6th, 7th – 12th, 13th, 14th 2018 -●●- S. Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. &

The Rainforest Collection ®

presents...

The 20th Annual Fall

Plant Extravaganza!

October 5th, 6th, 7th - 12th, 13th, 14th

The summer seemed to fly by, as the intense heat and constant supply of rainfall has made every palm and plant grow with vigor and purpose. In the time since the Spring Extravaganza, the selection of plant material at the nursery has exploded. There are new species and varieties available across several plant families, including the ever important palm family. The Spring 'Ganza was a riot in regards to attendance, as we saw new faces mixed with familiar ones, including those from far and wide. You know who you are... :-)

The Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganzas have become exciting plant sales and a great way for IPS Members, Palmtalk Forum Members and fellow tropical palm & plant enthusiasts to come together and meet in the South Florida area. The events have always been a great way to spend a weekend in the company of those who share your passion for gardening and collecting tropical ornamental plants. To describe the events as just mere plant sales would be an understatement; as they have become much more in the form of social events for our friends and family. Forum members, friends and fellow plant collectors have all come from far and wide to attend and we are continuously surprised in the distances they will cover to share in the event. In regards to the following details, I have tried to include as much information about the upcoming Fall 'Ganza as I could. If you see something that you know should be included and it is missing, please post the idea(s) here or contact me, Jeff Searle or the nursery with the methods listed below and let us know...

DSC_0177.thumb.JPG.8ad35d87b7449fc6301e2DSC_0217.thumb.JPG.969be6bd98628fcbb78d0DSC_0635.thumb.JPG.64deba31c2705de3bcb14

South Florida Location:
Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.
6640 SW 172nd Avenue
Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331
Western Broward County
*see Map below...

Fall 2018 Schedule:
Friday, October 5th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, October 6th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM 
Sunday, October 7th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

also the following weekend...
Friday, October 12th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Saturday, October 13th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Sunday, October 14th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Barbecue Lunch:
Our Famous Weekend Free BBQ Lunch
First Weekend: (Saturday 11:00AM - 2:00PM) & (Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM) (or until supplies last)

DSC_0373.thumb.JPG.a6abbd54c22629c5999fdDSC_0384.thumb.JPG.f7d71a2559547260f9c92DSC_0378.thumb.JPG.8fba053b8095f9e60991d

Contact List:
Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681
Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750
Nursery Website: http://www.rainforestcollection.com/

Jeff Searle: phone #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com
Private Message - Jeff Searle: Jeff Searle PM
Ryan (Palmarum) Email: palmthetree@yahoo.com or PM me a message through the Forum

Directions:
The map below is a general street map of western Broward County, Florida showing the location of the nursery (Palm tree symbol). Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west through the area. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or I (Ryan). When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines as they run east and west above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance. If you intend to arrive early before sunrise (and many usually do) be wary of hard-to-see speed bumps along 172nd Avenue and there is a possibility of a speed trap as well. There has been considerable construction along I-75 so the exits near Sheridan Street and Griffin Road have been changed slightly since earlier in the year. Express lanes have been added to I-75, they may or may not make the trip faster. 

scan0004.jpg.a087170a6917d9c5ed3ac57fac3

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability including a copy of the ever-growing list of palms, cycads and other information regarding which plants and species will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). The plant selection process has already begun and will continue right up to the last day before the first morning of the Extravaganza, (sometimes even on the mornings of the event if the need applies.) The sale lists for palms, cycads and crotons will be made available as soon as they are completed. Special selections might be pulled for sale as requests, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species, varieties and cultivars that will only be available in limited quantities. These rarer plants will likely sell out quickly in the morning hours, so be sure to arrange your wish list accordingly. Plant groups may have been moved around the sales area, relocated, or added in with others. In order to speed your way to your favorite plants please ask a nearby staff member or volunteer as to their location.

Like with previous events, I will be able to provide preview photos of the actual plants for sale. They will be posted in this topic for those who are interested. Send me a message or an email with the names of the plants you would like to see. Sale booklets or sale lists will be made available at the Extravaganza. They will include the list of palms, cycads and crotons for sale. Brochure holders along the main shade house sidewalk will have the booklets/sale lists on display. As soon as I have a basic draft list of species and varieties for sale, I will be able to email or PM it to anyone who would want a copy. Each plant will be priced with either a lavender tag or will have the price written on the pot.

DSC_0253.thumb.JPG.5f39d15dbb8efd818214bDSC_0280.thumb.JPG.785060d4a562a5ea5095f5b94131d84ead_DSC_0493(2).thumb.JPG.58d9DSC_0608.thumb.JPG.c36e105c9cceb1a08223b

Featured Plant Groups:
The plant selection at the Extravaganza is constantly growing and changing. The largest and most diverse group is by far the Palms, of which there will be over 300 species available in various different sizes. The plant selection will include genera, species, hybrids, cultivars and varieties from around the world. A large amount of Crotons will also be on display as their demand has increased production to new levels. There are always new plants to be added to the selection, as the demand for new signs is constant...

Palms:

Aroids: - Bromeliads:

Butterfly Plants: - Cycads: - Crotons:

Cordylines: - Ferns: - Heliconias and Gingers: - Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees, Shrubs, & Vines:

Landscape Ornamentals: - Tropical Fruit Trees:

Rare and Hard-to-find Exotics:

and many more:
There is always a chance a new & exotic species of tropical plant will make its way into the sales area.

The Sale Flyer:
The nursery will soon mail out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send a message to Jeff or myself with your address.

Ganza_flyer_F18_b.thumb.jpg.2be98530eedc

Plant Carts:
We do provide a limited number of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. The carts do go quickly in the morning of each day, soon after the gates open and customers make their way to the sales area. During the day when they are returned from the holding area or from the parking lot, they are placed back on the concrete pad across from the register area or near the holding area along the main road.

DSC_0415.thumb.JPG.09fa0bed8fe7e69f67b27DSC_0495.thumb.JPG.4ea658e25ec6bb76375a0DSC_0498.thumb.JPG.06c048400c58c3107f760

Accommodations:
A comfortable Hampton Inn is located within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers, volunteers and family members in the past who travel a long way to reach the 'Ganza and who require a comfortable place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. (see map above...) If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines - Fort Lauderdale West
Link: http://www.hamptoninnpembrokepines.com/

Previous Extravaganza:
The Spring 'Ganza from earlier in the year was immortalized in a Forum topic made a few months back. It was a great sale and it was wonderful to have so many in attendance. We had visitors from all over the county. I have included a link to the sale topic from last Spring, showing the action from the event...

Link: Spring Extravaganza 2018

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/56130-the-20th-annual-spring-ganza-sanford-does-it-again/

DSC_0205.thumb.JPG.24b27b05d7360102b0a36DSC_0387.thumb.JPG.c9364ecaaf42df36cee01DSC_0460.thumb.JPG.7aadbaacd2652ae798957

Information and Invitation:
If you need any more details regarding plants, directions, or anything that I have not included above, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. Feel free to post any messages, questions, etc. in this topic. Jeff Searle, I and all the family members and volunteers look forward to meeting everyone including new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at the upcoming Extravaganza. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other Forum members at the event as well, possibly walking right past you down an aisle or grabbing for the same plant. The entire Searle family and the mass of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant.

We hope to see you there!

Ryan

╠══════════════════════════════════

• Upvote 3

South Florida

A brief update on the sale prep: The palm list is being assembled and plants are being pulled continuously. The list is a little ahead of schedule and as soon as I have it, I shall post it, send it out, etc. There will be a vast selection of plants. Certain plants, species, etc. have never been offered before. I was walking through the first shadehouse on my way to the back to take photos for sign cards when I stopped to photograph the growing palm selection along the sidewalk:

DSC_0229.thumb.JPG.5d74c7cb90bcedaf2773aDSC_0230.thumb.JPG.649908908549b75b5ff69DSC_0231.thumb.JPG.6e9c0f00469eaa1749078

These palms represent one or two of the first pulls of material for the shadehouse. Most of it are the larger-sized palms that come from the first shadehouse, i.e. those that do not have to travel that far. It had just finished raining so the palms were quite happy.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

I'm in Florida 3 times year but never when you have a sale. Maybe I will get lucky some day a it one of your sales. Too bad you're not open to the public more often. Have a great sale.

On 9/19/2018, 1:08:23, DALION said:

I'm in Florida 3 times year but never when you have a sale. Maybe I will get lucky some day a it one of your sales. Too bad you're not open to the public more often. Have a great sale.

The next time you are in S. Florida you are more than welcome to visit the nursery. Give Jeff a call and make sure he is around before making the trip. The only difference is that the nursery would not be set up like it is for the sale. The Palms and plants are not pulled, tagged, arranged in groups, etc. and the signs are not out; everything is back in its growing location scattered about the nursery.

When the first Extravaganza was held some twenty years ago, it was once a year. When it was held for its second year, it was so popular that people wanted the nursery to hold the event every month. This would have been impossible, so they compromised to having it twice a year. It takes a little more than a month just to get one 'Ganza ready.

I have the first draft of the Croton list available for viewing. It has been posted over at Palmpedia:

Link - http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-20th-annual-fall-searle-ganza-●●●-october-5th-6th-7th-–-12th-13th-14th-2018.5964/

It is in the mirrored topic, in the second post. A (.pdf) version of the list follows the posted list.

Ryan

South Florida

The first draft of the Palm & Cycad list is up and ready for inspection. It has been posted over at Palmpedia:

Link to Post - http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-20th-annual-fall-searle-ganza-●●●-october-5th-6th-7th-–-12th-13th-14th-2018.5964/#post-61375

It has been posted in a different format, in a series of images showing the list in order. The list stands at around 298 species and numerous more size groups. The first draft was finished a bit earlier than usual, so there is definitely time for more species to be added in the next two weeks. I can almost sense that I walked past one or two palms on the sidewalk that were not part of the draft list. As soon as I find any new species I will add them to the list.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Paul Craft - Book Signing

The Palms of Cuba

Friday, October 5th, 9:00AM - 2:00PM

The long anticipated book, 'The Palms of Cuba' is coming to the 'Ganza! Author Paul Craft (FM. Licuala here on Palmtalk) will be on hand to sign copies of his book during the first day of the Extravaganza, Friday Oct. 5th, from 9:00AM in the morning until 2:00PM in the afternoon. You can bring your copy to have it autographed or you may purchase the book for $39.95, or until quantities last. We are not sure yet where in the sales area Paul will be stationed, but it will be under cover somewhere near the side-road or the intersection. Follow the link below to the Forum topic that Paul started back in May:

Book Topic: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/56582-the-palms-of-cuba-book/&do=findComment&comment=847194

The topic goes into detail about the book including numerous captured images from several pages. I received my copy about two months ago (autographed of course) and it is a masterpiece of information about the Cuban palms we all adore and idolize. I have read through it twice and there is a ton of material to incorporate into anyone's palm library. It was great to read about some of the more obscure species that we palm fanatics had only dreamed about for years. Every 'Palm Nut' should have a copy.

5ba95e8dad5f6_Palms_of_Cubabook.jpg.e296

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

Great to hear I can get my book autographed! 

Yes, I'll be there first thing on the first day. Looking forward to it!

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

On 9/28/2018, 5:56:37, Cindy Adair said:

Great to hear I can get my book autographed! 

Yes, I'll be there first thing on the first day. Looking forward to it!

Wow Cindy! So nice to hear this. Board members, past president and even rumor has it the current IPS president will be here. I look forward to seeing you all.

Jeff

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff and am delighted to be seeing familiar faces.

I was still in post hurricane shock when I showed up briefly last year, but will be relaxed this time. 

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

A few more photos featuring the set-up of the 'Ganza taken on Saturday...

- One shot looking towards the tables, while standing in front of the white tent. The tables are getting full as the different species are being arranged. Some are moved off the tables, while others are moved on, etc. It is a balancing act. A view looking westward towards the shadehouse entrance about halfway down the sidewalk.

DSC_0312.thumb.JPG.8d3c1c018f257a5a1f715DSC_0325.thumb.JPG.48b43eeddb398617dd28e

- Outside on the main road, the full sun palm section begins to take shape. Half on one side, half on the other; to the left out of frame.

DSC_0328.thumb.JPG.847f3e3be829fe82262ddDSC_0327.thumb.JPG.14132c441afe4f5235c15

- Looking in through the side-entrance to the shadehouse, the first photo shows where the full sun palms blend with those of the sidewalk. Further in, a shot of the tables from the south end. There is still a little more re-organization to do and some more pulling of plants.

DSC_0329.thumb.JPG.88c6c4929b393dfc0dca9DSC_0330.thumb.JPG.af57bc077be8609dc239a

Ryan

South Florida

One early request I was able to get to...

- Beccariophoenix fenestralis - 3 gal. $35.00 - 15 gal. $150.00

DSC_0320.thumb.JPG.f1fa0386677fd17f79480DSC_0324.thumb.JPG.8ae348a50f0a623e33455DSC_0323.thumb.JPG.42adfa5317c5beb62c2d2

- The three-gallon plants fighting for space.

DSC_0322.thumb.JPG.93fe5678d036350122c3c

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

On 9/24/2018, 6:47:35, Palmarum said:

... We are not sure yet where in the sales area Paul will be stationed, but it will be under cover somewhere near the side-road or the intersection. ...

I have a bit more info on the book signing, Paul will be located inside the shadehouse, just past the side entrance on the right side as you enter, or opposite of the tables. We are still working out some of the details, but this is where the book signing will be set up.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

On 9/30/2018, 10:17:08, Palmarum said:

I have a bit more info on the book signing, Paul will be located inside the shadehouse, just past the side entrance on the right side as you enter, or opposite of the tables. We are still working out some of the details, but this is where the book signing will be set up.

Ryan

I am looking forward to seeing y'all there and will have plenty of books available!;-)

• Upvote 1

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

I made it through the majority of the palm selection today and I have some changes to the Palm list. I have posted the additions, changes and redactions to the topic over at Palmpedia, via the link below:

Link to post: http://www.palmpedia.net/forum/threads/the-20th-annual-fall-searle-ganza-●●●-october-5th-6th-7th-–-12th-13th-14th-2018.5964/#post-61392

Many of the additions were some of the landscape species that were not pulled by the time the draft was made. A few of the others were some last second additions, odd and ends that found themselves on the sidewalk sans tag. There could be more, I will post them if I have time. Otherwise they will be hiding in the selection along the sidewalk or in among the tables.

Ryan

South Florida

I was able to get one set of photos today seconds before the sprinklers came on...

- Attalea cohune - 7 gal. $75.00 - 15 gal. $150.00 - I left the card in the photo as scale.

DSC_0506.thumb.JPG.da310a581969caa91b5d9DSC_0507.thumb.JPG.225527bd13bd36e3b3cf0DSC_0508.thumb.JPG.80766c2d741804a1a5002

Ryan

South Florida

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018‎ ‎6‎:‎47‎:‎35‎, Palmarum said:

Paul Craft - Book Signing

The Palms of Cuba

Friday, October 5th, 9:00AM - 2:00PM

The long anticipated book, 'The Palms of Cuba' is coming to the 'Ganza! Author Paul Craft (FM. Licuala here on Palmtalk) will be on hand to sign copies of his book during the first day of the Extravaganza, Friday Oct. 5th, from 9:00AM in the morning until 2:00PM in the afternoon. You can bring your copy to have it autographed or you may purchase the book for $39.95, or until quantities last. We are not sure yet where in the sales area Paul will be stationed, but it will be under cover somewhere near the side-road or the intersection. Follow the link below to the Forum topic that Paul started back in May:

Book Topic: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/56582-the-palms-of-cuba-book/&do=findComment&comment=847194

The topic goes into detail about the book including numerous captured images from several pages. I received my copy about two months ago (autographed of course) and it is a masterpiece of information about the Cuban palms we all adore and idolize. I have read through it twice and there is a ton of material to incorporate into anyone's palm library. It was great to read about some of the more obscure species that we palm fanatics had only dreamed about for years. Every 'Palm Nut' should have a copy.

5ba95e8dad5f6_Palms_of_Cubabook.jpg.e296

Ryan

I got mine. Lots of others did as well :D

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I finally (after years) had a chance to attend today. I purchased many nice palms and tropicals. Great selection and prices. Jeff, Andrea and staff were very helpful. Enjoyed lunch as well. Well worth the trip. Hope to attend again!

• Upvote 2

Got there early Friday morning and picked me up a Licuala paludosa and Coccothrinax borhidiana.  Lots to pick from...

Wish I stayed longer to meet and chat with fellow palmers but was on a mission.  Long drive from the west coast but worth it.  Picked up a Ptychosperma schefferi a few years back that is doing fantastic!  Until next time...get there if you can.  One weekend left folks!!

• Upvote 3

On 10/7/2018, 7:35:10, Cape Garrett said:

.... Until next time...get there if you can.  One weekend left folks!!

We are in the restocking phase between weekends and there is still a lot of material to choose from for the second weekend of the 'Ganza. The palms and the rare oddities were thinned out fairly well. If you are looking to attend the second weekend and are looking for something specific, send me a message or post it here and I will find out if it is still available. Certain groups like the landscape ornamentals and the Bromeliads are usually able to be restocked, whereas some of the more unusual flowering trees, gingers/heliconias and specific Croton cultivars were only available in small numbers.

I saw a lot of familiar faces and it was great to see them once again. Paul Craft arrived early and the book singing was a very popular event. The weather cooperated mostly except for periods on Saturday, but the rain didn't last long. I met a lot of first timers to the sale, and it was nice to see their reaction to the selection. I took what photos I could, but when it got busy, the camera had to rest. I will post what I took after the second weekend.

Ryan

• Upvote 1

South Florida

• 4 weeks later...

Posting a connection link to the main 20th Annual Fall Extravaganza topic, now in progress:

Link: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58383-the-20th-fall-ganza-palms-plants-bursting-at-the-seams/

This helps keep the topics together, as in the future when I try to search for both of them, only the For Sale version seems to come up for some reason.

Ryan

South Florida