IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Erythrina humeana seed

Marius

@Marius, did you get the seeds I sent you a while back?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 hours ago, Marius said:

The same plant in flower now. One of its three branches died from frost this past winter. 

481EBD7D-7E6D-4867-B3E2-0F4E804DC837.jpeg

spectacular!

9 hours ago, yeye said:

What is your min temperature last winter Marius ?

The minimum at my house was about -2 deg C

if anyone is still trying to germinate these, I kicked the seed coat on mine, soaked for a day and them planted in soil using bottom heat. i had sprouts the next day. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

if anyone is still trying to germinate these, I kicked the seed coat on mine, soaked for a day and them planted in soil using bottom heat. i had sprouts the next day. 

@Josue Diaz 

Does “kicked” equal “knicked” :rolleyes:??  Thanks for the advice friend.

jimmyt

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jimmyt said:

@Josue Diaz 

Does “kicked” equal “knicked” :rolleyes:??  Thanks for the advice friend.

jimmyt

lol yea, I don't recommend kicking the seed

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gerard said:

Yep .in the Netherlands too

Touche to you as well Gerard!

I am hoping that mine do the same :greenthumb:

I’m very happy that you’re getting great results. Thanks for the feedback. Keep updating us 

• 3 months later...

Marius,

Curiously, do you have to scar or nick your erythrina seed to get them to germinate?  I had the seed you sent in seed starting soil on a heat mat, under grow lights for 2 months without a budge!

Unpotted them and they looked like the day you sent them.  So I took a set of fingernail clippers and nicked through the seed coat away from the radicle.  Then soaked them overnight in water.  The next day they were fat and swollen with water.  I replanted them and a week later they are germinating.   I had almost given up. :36_14_15[1]:

jimmyt 

Hi Jimmy. 

I don’t know. I just plant them. Maybe nicking them helps. I don’t really worry that all germinate as I have a yearly seed supply. I’m glad that you got them to germinate. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marius said:

Hi Jimmy. 

I don’t know. I just plant them. Maybe nicking them helps. I don’t really worry that all germinate as I have a yearly seed supply. I’m glad that you got them to germinate. 

Agree w/ Marius.. Many Legume sp. seed are easier to germinate when freshly collected. The longer time has passed post-harvest, the seed coats typically harden more, often requiring being soaked in warm water, nicked, scratched or rubbed w/ sandpaper / over gravel before they will start absorbing moisture and germinate. 

That said, some are hard as rock right off the tree and require treatment regardless of age after harvest. Some can be scratched or nicked, and still refuse germinate until conditions are right.  A few sp. have thin seed coats or a short shelf-life after collection and have to be sown right away or the seed goes bad.

I usually scratch up / nick seed of all species, regardless of how fresh the collection of seed is  when sowing.  Like Jimmy's experience, Have had seed sit in their pots until i scratched them.

• Upvote 1

I will nick/scar seed if it has a hard coat, not usually if it has a “soft” coat. I hesitated to nick these seed from the start as they are fairly small. Then I became brave and nicked them.  My Eythrina crista-galli seed does not need any help with germination except water and warmth. Thanks for the advice fellas!

jimmyt

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Here's how my 9-ft tall E. humeana is blooming this (relatively warm) week in November.  BTW, the privet, juniper and dead branch in the background are in my neighbor's yard. ;)

Erythrina_humanea2019.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

@Hillizard   Yours looks great.  :greenthumb:  Mine is still in the germination pot and is less than 1 foot tall.  It took a hit from the surprise freeze at the end of October.  Killed all the leaves on the largest seedling but did not kill the stem.  The too smaller ones did not defoliate.  The temp reach down into the mid 20's (25) by surprise.  They are now protected in the heated Greenhouse.  :(

jimmyt

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

@Hillizard   Yours looks great.  :greenthumb:  Mine is still in the germination pot and is less than 1 foot tall.  It took a hit from the surprise freeze at the end of October.  Killed all the leaves on the largest seedling but did not kill the stem.  The too smaller ones did not defoliate.  The temp reach down into the mid 20's (25) by surprise.  They are now protected in the heated Greenhouse.  :(

jimmyt

As soon as the stem gets a bit more woody, yours should resprout each spring, even after a hard frost, at least from the below-ground parts. I now cut mine down several feet each spring since the stems grow 6-8 ft each year and get too close to the overhead wires.

That would be great if I could get that kind of growth down here in BFT!  My Erythrina crista-galli freezes down to the ground each year and regrows to about 6 ft!

jimmyt

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Marius,  

Bumping this old thread a bit.  Just thought I would show you my Erythrina humeana that I grew from your seed here in central Texas.  It is really starting to put out the flower bracts and get some size. It likes our hot summer weather. 

Thanks again,

jimmyt

6B03F431-EF15-4299-AA1D-9BEDC037EBB2.jpeg

D5DF9F01-6465-4782-854D-8947E222D6D3.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Hey Jimmyt. They look great!! Im happy that they are doing well. Thank you for sharing with me. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Marius for the seeds. Nice plant even though it has thorns. I have mine in a pot and bring it in during the winter. It looks like a skeleton by the time Spring rolls around. It made a healthy recovery after a few weeks of more sunshine. will update after more flowers appear. Good Day, ZenMan 1

Also, here's one I grew from seed over 20 years ago.

South African Iris.jpg

Edited by ZenMan 1
miss-spelled word
  • Upvote 1

My E humeana too are reduced to dry sticks in winter. I’m able to plant and leave them outside Year round. They are now starting to sprout again. 

D007269C-299D-48C2-B5E2-E218D054D49F.jpeg

96EF7E6D-EED3-4D70-947E-0363B5AD2154.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great not- so- massive Coral Tree sp.. and takes a good amount of cold also as Marius said.. Some good sized specimens around Vista ( northern end of San Diego County )  Going w/ my experiences, does not like the low desert, at least here in/ around Phoenix.. Had both the species, and var. "raja " before our heat sent them to an early grave.. even when kept in shade. Replacing both asap.

Mine is now producing seed pods!  Whoopee!  I guess either the hummingbirds or hawk moths pollinated the flowers.  I hope there is enough time for the seed to develop before cold weather sets in.  First day of Fall in the Northern Hemisphere is September 22nd!  

• Upvote 1

Mine are getting ready to bloom, soon, I think for the first time.

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.