IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Erythrina humeana seed

Marius

Free seed of Erythrina humeana, a South African native. Small tree - I cut mine back to grow as small shrub (about 60cm tall) as it does on the coast. It also encourages more flowers. 

Pic of the mother plant. 

image.jpeg

• Upvote 5

I agree that is a beautiful plant. Those flowers are definitely an eye catcher. 

Thanks Mark

Edited by Mostapha
  • Upvote 1

I would like to try them. I have another couple of erythrina species. If you still have some seeds let me know and I will send my address to you.

What's the word on this in the States?  A-Okay, or invasive? 

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Yes Gerard

Erythrina zeyheri  is beautiful.  I have one that I planted 2 years ago.  It should flower this year & hopefully seed (flowers very similar to E Humeana).  This Erythrina has a thick fleshy underground trunk (root) and goes completely dormant in winter.  No trace of it above ground.  Then in spring it grows quite rapidly.  It has huge leaves and stems that ramble along the ground.

IMG_1601.JPG

IMG_1601.JPG

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

:greenthumb: Great :greenthumb:

Thanks for the pictures of the  Erythrina zeyheri  .

I have several from south African seeds at the same size 3-4 years old ,fingers crosst.

Addicted for some nice plant ,hopefully its flowers soon.

At the moment it,s almost autum ,so at the moment I have some Swamp hibiscus / hibiscus palustris seeds riping on these plant.

So spring almost starting in South Africa ,I have  some fresh seeds straight from these plant for free availible .

A nice great white  flower .winter and frost no problem.

after the winter frost season it wil grow fast,full sun even better for faster flower 

10 cm water ore more .at the moment only in a bucket,no problem .

Have a nice day 

Regards ; Gerard 

hibiscus_palustris.jpg

• Upvote 1

No problem guys.  It seems that it is going to take 2 - 3 months to reach you.  Apparently a customs backup on SA side.  Hope they arrive sooner.

Thanks Marius.   Winter coming here in North America so seed starting may wait until early spring.  Unless they need to be germinated right away.   Erythrina crista-galli can be stored for several years and remain viable.....

jimmyt

8 hours ago, Marius said:

You're welcome Jimmy. Storing the seed until Spring won't be a problem. 

Excellent news Marius!  I will let you know when the seeds arrive—just for historical puposes.

jimmyt

• Upvote 1

Good Day Marius, Thanks for letting us know that they're on their way. I have seeds coming from Down Under and Asia also. Should be interesting which ones arrive first. Happy Springtime to you!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Marius, the seeds arrived here today (Tuesday). I'm really looking forward to growing them come springtime.

Sincere thanks

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.

Good Day Marius, I just wanted you to know that I still haven't received the seeds yet. My guess is that the post office damaged the envelope by running it through the bar code scanner. The seeds,if they are not in another sealed plastic bag they will escape through the hole in the bottom when the machine makes the tear. Had that happened before and the post office sent the torn envelope in a sealed plastic bag without the seeds. It'll probably be a good idea to tape the seeds near the top on the inside to prevent the scanner from running over them, just a suggestion. In the meantime could you please send another batch, deeply appreciate this and thank you. Patiently awaiting, ZenMan 1

By the way, Seeds from Downunder came in 2 weeks ago, still waiting for the ones from Asia, being held up in New York state as of today. They were supposed to have been here last week. Have a great Spring!

A Good Day Marius,

The  seeds have arrived as of today. Cancel my request for another batch. Not needed and somebody else could use them.

Thank you very much, ZenMan 1

Mail.jpg

On 10/30/2018, 4:04:00, David York said:

Marius, the seeds arrived here today (Tuesday). I'm really looking forward to growing them come springtime.

Sincere thanks

Hi David 

It is great news that you received the seeds. Best of luck with them. 

Gerard and ZenMan, let me know how they do for you. 

Jimmyt and the other people that I mailed seeds to. I trust that the rest of you will receive them soon. Keep me updated please. 

My three plants in the garden have leaves already and are growing strong again. I have two seedlings thus far from last season’s seed. 

Regards

Marius 

• Upvote 2

My Erythrina humeana (?) has become a monster, but I doubt it will ever get tall enough to block the view of the wires and telephone pole I can see from my backyard.:unsure:

Erythrina_humanea.png

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marius 

:greenthumb:Super fresh alway's the best..:greenthumb:

:yay:they start to germinate after a few day:yay:

:badday:One bij one they start op in warm water:badday:

:interesting:a little bedtime story and a lullaby does wonders.:violin:

:drool:Marius, your plants are multiplying all over the world.:floor:

Succes for everyone and thanks to Marius.