The7thLegend

North Florida Queen Palms, zone 9a expanding

Gator

I grew up inland South Georgia....zone 8b.....and when I go back to visit my family...i am shocked at all the queen palms.

It looks very much like the Lake City Fla pictures.

I agree these palms may be on borrowed time.  But seeing multiple mature queen palms in Georgia definitely confirms

that winters are more mild.

• Upvote 3

Jcalvin
5 hours ago, Gator said:

I grew up inland South Georgia....zone 8b.....and when I go back to visit my family...i am shocked at all the queen palms.

It looks very much like the Lake City Fla pictures.

I agree these palms may be on borrowed time.  But seeing multiple mature queen palms in Georgia definitely confirms

that winters are more mild.

I agree. I live in SE Georgia as well. Queens everywhere. The 2018 freak storm came through and killed a few of them, but most of the ones in Brunswick, Saint Simons Island,  Jekyll Island

and even further inland are still there. The coast around Georgia is comparable to Jacksonville. 

Here are a few in Waycross that have been there for awhile now. The one on the right didn't survive 2018, but the one on the right is still kicking. 

Screenshot (9).png

Edited by Jcalvin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The7thLegend

@JcalvinI've seen Queens In Jekyll and Saint Simmons but wow that's an impressive one in Waycross!

• Upvote 1

Teegurr
On 6/9/2021 at 8:56 PM, The7thLegend said:

Of course there's weather anomalies that come once every so many decades or whatever but if palms were planted based on extreme lows there wouldn't be Sabal Palmettos in Lake City (7), W. Robustas in Orlando (18) or Royals in Miami since a low of 30 is zone 9b.  Who's really safe?  

But all three of those palms can pretty easily survive those lows.

Is your point that those lows happen on extremely rare occasions so palms that cannot usually survive those temps do because they don't happen every year?

If a robusta was exposed to 18f every year, but no lower, it could survive pretty easily.

A royal wouldn't blink at an annual low of 30.

Sabal palmetto would be the only one that would be a stretch.

Edited by Teegurr

Gator

My uncle in Douglas has 3 mature queens like that one in the picture in Waycross.

All 3 made it through the 2018 freeze

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The7thLegend
15 hours ago, Teegurr said:

But all three of those palms can pretty easily survive those lows.

Is your point that those lows happen on extremely rare occasions so palms that cannot usually survive those temps do because they don't happen every year?

If a robusta was exposed to 18f every year, but no lower, it could survive pretty easily.

A royal wouldn't blink at an annual low of 30.

Sabal palmetto would be the only one that would be a stretch.

All 3 of those palms/respective cities would be considered Zone pushing ( UF/IFAS ) if you selected palms based on extreme lows because you were worried about the next weather apocalypse.  Yet it's absurd because all 3 of those palms thrive in each of those cities.  Yes eventually a bad weather event will come, nobody is safe and the lows prove it.  In the meantime zones are zones for a reason and a great tool when selecting plants/palms so we'll have Queens in Lake City, Coconut palms in Orlando, Hurricane Palms in Miami, etc.

• Like 1

NBTX11

1985 - Southern Georgia 0F. Lake City Fl 6F

By the way Texas was much warmer (relative to this), with Houston “only” dropping to 20, and San Antonio 19. The coldest air can move east of Texas in freezes. It doesn’t always pour into Texas first.

58423EE3-8C35-45A6-8986-1B508ABB62ED.jpeg

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 1

JLM
4 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

By the way Texas was much warmer (relative to this), with Houston “only” dropping to 20, and San Antonio 19. The coldest air can move east of Texas in freezes. It doesn’t always pour into Texas first.

58423EE3-8C35-45A6-8986-1B508ABB62ED.jpeg

Will probably be a very long time before we have another extreme freeze like that. Wouldnt be surprised if we dont see a few dips into the teens in northern FL though over the next 10 years. With this La Nina/Cool Neutral ENSO phase we are in right now we are bound to go into an El Nino within the next 5-10 years if not sooner, much sooner. This winter is currently looking like a cool neutral/La Nina winter again though.

• Like 2

The7thLegend
8 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

That's Live Oak FL at 6 degrees, not Lake City.

• Like 1

Jcalvin
22 hours ago, Gator said:

My uncle in Douglas has 3 mature queens like that one in the picture in Waycross.

All 3 made it through the 2018 freeze

Here’s another one in Waycross I forgot about. Just happened upon it because my daughter has a soccer tournament here. 

Douglas is a little further inland. I go through quite a bit. 

It’s been here since 2008.It is on the south side of this building near a blacktop surface.  They added the Filibusta’s about 5 years ago. 

7572D1C3-4953-4EB7-8DA7-0F01D91641A7.jpeg

Edited by Jcalvin
  • Like 2

Jcalvin
4 hours ago, The7thLegend said:

That's Live Oak FL at 6 degrees, not Lake City.

Lake City is a little warmer than Live Oak. There’s a ice 9a microclimate on the  west side of the city. 

0A6619B8-7599-4717-BA4E-18EE8D6CB94D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

NBTX11

Haha, I am not trying to discourage y'all from planting queen palms.  Go for it.  I was just offering a dose of realism.  It's gotten cold there before.  Could happen again.  May never happen again in your lifetime.  Might happen next year.  In the mean time plant away.  As someone who also is in a borderline 8b/9a climate (where I am is on the same latitude as Gainesville), I have seen tons of queen palms come and go.  People are already replanting them from the Feb freeze.  They might be alive for the next 20 years, who knows.  Go for it.  They are so attractive, they are worth the risk.  I am not going to do it, because I don't take a lot of planting chances, but a lot of people do, and are successful.

Edited by NBTX11
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Jcalvin
4 hours ago, NBTX11 said:

Haha, I am not trying to discourage y'all from planting queen palms.  Go for it.  I was just offering a dose of realism.  It's gotten cold there before.  Could happen again.  May never happen again in your lifetime.  Might happen next year.  In the mean time plant away.  As someone who also is in a borderline 8b/9a climate (where I am is on the same latitude as Gainesville), I have seen tons of queen palms come and go.  People are already replanting them from the Feb freeze.  They might be alive for the next 20 years, who knows.  Go for it.  They are so attractive, they are worth the risk.  I am not going to do it, because I don't take a lot of planting chances, but a lot of people do, and are successful.

I agree. It might be twenty or thirty years from now, it might be this winter. It’s eventually a matter of time for the queens here. 

• Like 1

Gator

Bout 15 years ago...i planted about 10 citrus trees. Nice 9a microclimate ( South Ga)  Next to a lake. They did great for a season......

and then we had a "normal winter...with about 2 weeks with lows in the  mid 20's

EVERY STINKIN ONE of those citrus trees croaked.   

I learned.....the freeze doesnt happen every year....but it happens   

Edited by Gator

Laaz

You must have planted the very tender citrus trees. I have about 30 in my yard that I've had for years. I had more, but cut some down because I couldn't use all the fruit.

Edited by Laaz
  • Upvote 1

Jcalvin
8 hours ago, Laaz said:

You must have planted the very tender citrus trees. I have about 30 in my yard that I've had for years. I had more, but cut some down because I couldn't use all the fruit.

Agree. I've lived in SE Georgia pretty much most of my life, and I haven't seen one citrus tree die back. 

• Like 1

Gator
On 6/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, Laaz said:

key lime seedlings.

They were about 2 foot tall.  I also planted them in the fall ( they were on sale ) 

Xenon
1 hour ago, Gator said:

key lime seedlings.

They were about 2 foot tall.  I also planted them in the fall ( they were on sale ) 

Key lime is the most tender of all commonly cultivated citrus 

• Like 2

Gator
4 hours ago, Xenon said:

Key lime is the most tender of all commonly cultivated citrus 

i thought i was being so smart..... they were on fall clearance for $15 at Lowes

so I bought all 10 and planted them in a row. 

Laaz

Nope, if you want a substitute for key lime, get Eustis limequat.. Super hardy & taste almost the same.

• Like 1