IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia baileyana seed germination

kbob11

I was just wondering what the typical germination time frame is for Copernicia Baileyana.  I have not found much information online, RPS etc.  I have an 8'' community pot with 6 seeds in a plastic bag at room temperature (70-85F).  Would these benefit from a higher heat?  

Thanks!

P.S.  I would really appreciate pictures if anyone has them

Kirk

Worcester MA z6a

Edited by kbob11

Assuming Fallaensis and Baileyana germinate at the same speeds (I've only germinated Fallaensis), they are moderately fast with germination. Did you crack the outer shell and remove seed before the start of germination? 

All I did to germinate the Copernicia was crack shell, remove seed, soak for 24-48-hours, put into 100% lightly damp perlite and they popped a tap root within a month.

Hope this helps...

Higher heat. I germinated mine in full blazing FL sun and summer heat that exceeded 90F for months.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

• 2 months later...

The last Copernicia Baileyana seeds we purchased  300 seeds from RPS. Very familiar with this seed, germinate them all the time, NOT ONE seed germinated. All were rotten, obviously very old seed. But, typically baileyana’s take about a month to germinate we have found. Pictures attached of our rotten baileyanasEF8E87C9-3A57-427E-8BED-7B912F5FE1EF.thu

How are your seeds doing now? I saw you posted this a few months ago. 

1A1FA8DA-029B-45F8-A38A-F8AA472E0F93.png

E92BF86A-8986-4F4C-9056-8358978F9690.png

269A6CD6-5A14-4159-9AD6-8DB605590E2A.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PalmMom007 said:

The last Copernicia Baileyana seeds we purchased  300 seeds from RPS. Very familiar with this seed, germinate them all the time, NOT ONE seed germinated. All were rotten, obviously very old seed. But, typically baileyana’s take about a month to germinate we have found. Pictures attached of our rotten baileyanas

BUMMER!!!!!!! :crying: Hope you were able to get a refund for that order. :rant:

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

5 hours ago, Missi said:

BUMMER!!!!!!! :crying: Hope you were able to get a refund for that order. :rant:

Ouch! No excuse for bad seed for this species.

• Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have yet to get a response or a call back from Tobias at RPS. I have called and called, my husband got ahold of a woman in the office in Germany and she then gave us another email to send our issue too. And...no response still! We just would like a credit on our seed that was obviously bad and old!!! We spent over $1,000 on our first order with them (big risk) but they had somewhat of a good rep and unfortunately he doesn’t have any competition that carries that variety of seed. But, something has to change! I can’t stand bad customer service! No reason or the low germination rate with our controlled propagation chamber, as well as greenhouse! I attached pics of the borassus too. We are new to trying to germinate them, but we had almost half of them that were super light and I cut open one to see Rot!

A0CD1147-BF84-4641-937D-927BA9EC9FB7.jpeg

10041EA5-8974-45A3-9AE3-A60752D37493.jpeg

284AF8F8-90FB-48DC-8055-CA6578D2A48A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, PalmMom007 said:

I have yet to get a response or a call back from Tobias at RPS. I have called and called, my husband got ahold of a woman in the office in Germany and she then gave us another email to send our issue too. And...no response still! We just would like a credit on our seed that was obviously bad and old!!! We spent over $1,000 on our first order with them (big risk) but they had somewhat of a good rep and unfortunately he doesn’t have any competition that carries that variety of seed. But, something has to change! I can’t stand bad customer service! No reason or the low germination rate with our controlled propagation chamber, as well as greenhouse! I attached pics of the borassus too. We are new to trying to germinate them, but we had almost half of them that were super light and I cut open one to see Rot!

A0CD1147-BF84-4641-937D-927BA9EC9FB7.jpeg

10041EA5-8974-45A3-9AE3-A60752D37493.jpeg

284AF8F8-90FB-48DC-8055-CA6578D2A48A.jpeg

As i think i'd mentioned somewhere on here in the past, your experience, among a few others has been a big *cause for pause* when considering ordering from them again. While results from seed i bought in the past were mostly positive.. I also place high regard regarding overall customer experience well above a list of seed i might be looking for, that might only be currently available through RPS. 

I'd rather see things like * seasonally un-available at this time, can be placed on a *notice of availability * list / available in the spring or X season only / Listed for a short time only, due to short seed viability / etc. next to X seed availability rather than see seed listed that i know has been listed for over a year or more, particularly regarding stuff i know from personal experience / detailed research, looses it's shelf-life rather quickly once harvested.  Some stuff, Legume-type seed especially,  will generally germinate well, even if 2-4 years old.. A lot of other stuff (many lilies, Plumeria and other genera in the same family, other tropical type plants, etc, can rapidly loose viability and be far more challenging or impossible to germinate once received / planted.  Even stuff which retains it's life longer can sour if not stored, or inspected correctly / regularly.. 

For me, i know when the time comes, i will list what seed i might have to share with points made above in mind.. Even going so far as to add something like to any potential e-mail sent out.. " Attention all..  Fruit of Guaiacum coulteri starting to ripen at this time, please reply if interested in seed.  Requested seed will be sent first, as it is harvested"  "Any requests made well after X seed batch  has been harvested / processed may experience lower germination rates due to short viability / shelf - life. You may choose to pre-request seed from forth-coming harvests."

To me, this is something important i'd like to know when ordering from X place, why shouldn't i treat my potential customers with the same respect?  It shouldn't take repeated phone calls  or a Fax / E-mail chase to get some answers and resolution to any possible problems.  

Like many, i also await news of a new vendor, with just as vast of species inventory.. and to see what they might do different / improve upon if you will.... 

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit

On 11/21/2018, 12:58:44, PalmMom007 said:

How are your seeds doing now? I saw you posted this a few months ago. 

Sorry for the late response.  I have a 0% germination rate with these seeds from RPS.  I ordered them 6-7 months ago and have had them consistently 85 degrees.  In the same order I had a small packet of Hyophorbe verschaffeltii with only 1 germinating.  It is doing well but a little disappointed in my turn out.

@Silas_Sancona you hit it right on the head! My husband and I were talking about what should be done. As we know, it takes a lot of time and work, but seeds have a “shelf life”. They need to be rotated etc, upon if they don’t sell. Maybe discount ones that are about to go bad, but not keep selling non-fresh seed. Honestly, we need to do our due diligence I guess. What has sat on the list for sale for a while we need to know probably won’t germinate and is old seed, but why would a business do that? It is almost a scam, honestly! This was our first time placing an order, we know better now! Also, a chamber with controlled temps needs to be put in place for holding the seeds and storing until sold. I hate how many suppliers RPS has, and they just keep sending them seeds to sell when I’m sure great viable seed is wasted just sitting and going bad. But, thanks for the response. :)

• Upvote 2

@kbob11 I am sorry to hear, but not surprised sadly. We found a reputable supplier out of Thailand for our Baileyana seed we bought after our attempt with 0 germination rate with RPS. Do you have any Copernicia right now? We have some falliensis seedlings and bailey’s if your looking

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I ordered 20 C. baileyana from RPS. I received 24.

I soaked them for a day, cracked the outer shell, and removed the seed from inside. After soaking them again I geriminated them in a zip lock bag in vermiculite in partial sun here in Uganda. They would get about 2 hours of direct sun. About 16 germinated which I potted up in loose free draining material. 

I have ten shoots immerging so far. 

Also I ordered C. Macroglossa from Faulkner's Palms and used the same method (and the same vermiculite!), 8 out of 11 seeds germinated and were potted on last weekend. Now I am waiting to see the first shoots. 

Edited by Mvule
  • Like 2

I have germinated two batches of C. baileyana. The first batch was from RPS, the second was habitat collected. In both cases, germination began in about two months. Here, the summer climate is not particularly hot, so they might have germinated faster elsewhere. Growing the RPS-supplied seeds, the plants turned out to be the blue form (I was thrilled by this). I'm not sure the seller even knew that.

Getting seeds from seed sellers is a crapshoot, and I have bought my share of duds. Imagine the quality control problems faced by a seed seller! And small orders are not their main revenue source. Just the same, I wish they would do better.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 5 months later...

I stopped buying seeds from RPS since they would send a lot of rotten seeds and seed pieces, and the germination rates are very low or none. Now I hunt for seedlings and live palms only. Last time I bought from RPS I paid with a credit card (just in case) and only bought seeds that were marked as new (50% rotten ones were enclosed) and another kind of seeds that were advertised as germinated, and they were mostly germinated at least 70% of them were reasonably germinated (that one can't cheat on). My idea or advise would be:

1. Pay only with a credit card.

2. Only buy germinated seeds.

3. At least buy only fresh seeds that are marked as new (if they still mark them as new).

4. Make sure you use the correct techniques to start seed germination.

I am looking to buy the following germinated seeds or seedlings or palms:

Copernicia fallaensis

Areca catechu

Carpoxylon macrospermum (only a palm of 1 meter tall or taller as smaller ones are too hard to raise here)

Some others (open for offers)

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown

UPDATED / EDITED post:

I stopped buying seeds from RPS since they would send a lot of rotten seeds and seed pieces, and the germination rates are very low to none. Now I hunt for seedlings and live palms only. Last time I bought from RPS I paid with a credit card (just in case) and only bought seeds that were marked as new (50% rotten ones were enclosed) and another kind of seeds that were advertised as germinated, and they were mostly germinated at least 70% of them were reasonably germinated (that one can't cheat on). My idea or advise would be:

1. Pay only with a credit card.

2. Only buy germinated seeds.

3. At least buy only fresh seeds that are marked as new (if they still mark them as new).

4. Make sure you use the correct techniques to start seed germination.

5: Read RPS terms & conditions closely:

They include the following sentence:

"All information is given without guarantee and may be incorrect."

"2) THERE IS NO RIGHT OF CANCELLATION IN THE CASE OF ORDERS FOR SEEDS UNDER THE EXCLUSION CLAUSE ABOVE."

"Goods remain in our ownership until full payment is made." - interestingly, once you pay for the seeds, they keep YOUR PROPERTY for another month or so before shipping it to you, in many case simply destroying the seeds' viability by not shipping them right away?

"Your credit card will not be charged until the goods have been prepared for dispatch. " - when I ordered the seeds they waited about a month to charge my card. There was no shipping notification so I was not informed when my seeds were dispatched. All the seeds that arrived did not germinate at all, not even after a couple of years.

If they don't change their business model and customer service level I doubt there will be any customers left for RPS.

My idea of a seed seller business: All old and expired seeds should be discarded into a compost pile and not sold to customers. No mater how painful it is to discard "money" I do that all the time, with food, into a compost pile and thus reusing it again, for creating compost soil and using for growing plants in it. Expensive compost, but quite satisfying, knowing that most people just throw their compost materials away into the trash. Your (bagged) potato peels etc. are welcome at my front door.

P.S.: I am looking to buy the following germinated seeds or seedlings or palms:

Copernicia fallaensis

Areca catechu

Carpoxylon macrospermum (only a palm of 1 meter tall or taller as smaller ones are too hard to raise here)

Some others (open for offers)

• Like 1

Average day temperatures: +17°C in the winter and +24°C in the summer. Typical Summer: 68F to 77F (20C to 25C). Typical Winter: 55F to 64F (12C to 18C). Record Low (past 5 years): 45F or +7.7C (once a winter, some winters). Record High (past 5 years): 83F or +28C (some days only). Elevation 140 m (459 ft.) to 160 m (525 ft.), latitude 38.54º. Sunset Zone: unknown