IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda / Red Sealing Wax / Lipstick Palm Panama Costa Rica

davidkinzie

Hello! We are trying to find some Cyrtostachys renda / Red Sealing Wax / Lipstick Palm seed to have sent to us in Miami FL. Any help locating it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very kindly! Dave & Daniela.

DK

• 2 months later...

I got some fresh seeds from Costa Rica and the seeds never germinated so I decided to buy a small lipstick palm from Sherwood Forest Nursery in Miami. Their prices are very reasonable for lipstick palms and my tree is now over 8 feet tall. I also live in Miami-Dade county so I recommend that you take you lipstick palm inside your home anytime the temperature goes below 58 degrees. They also must be inside during a Hurricane as they cannot handle high winds. They also need a lot of water. They grow slow for the first 3 years and then they really start to grow well. Remember, No cold weather, No high winds, and lot's and lot's of water. By Gregg L. Friedman MD.

• 3 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 1:54 PM, Gregg L. Friedman MD said:

I got some fresh seeds from Costa Rica and the seeds never germinated so I decided to buy a small lipstick palm from Sherwood Forest Nursery in Miami. Their prices are very reasonable for lipstick palms and my tree is now over 8 feet tall. I also live in Miami-Dade county so I recommend that you take you lipstick palm inside your home anytime the temperature goes below 58 degrees. They also must be inside during a Hurricane as they cannot handle high winds. They also need a lot of water. They grow slow for the first 3 years and then they really start to grow well. Remember, No cold weather, No high winds, and lot's and lot's of water. By Gregg L. Friedman MD.

Hi Gregg, I am very curious to get some more info about your experience with C. renda. I just bought one from a nursery in Homestead. I was told semi shade with filtered light, but I have quite some issues providing that. Its either going to be full shade or morning soon until 2pm. 

I would love to see some pictures of yours and your experience with it.

• 8 months later...

06 November 2019

Hi,
I just received at bulk order of Cyrtostachys renda seeds from RPS(Germany). I am sowing 2/3, selling 1/3 of the lot.  They are plump and not dried out, less than a week to get here to Florida. I sell them at $25/100 seeds, plus $7 shipping priority mail. ($12 shipping usual 1 day Express Mail). Freshly rinsed (physosanitary process upon German export) upon receipt.  If you are still interested let me know. Shipped in a plastic bag with damp vermiculite, usually 1-2 days VB to MIA.

ONLY 1000 seeds available (10 packets).  Shipping is the same for one packet or all ten.

I will sell these at this price for the next 30 days only. Thereafter, as freshness has declined, they are half-price. 

Bob

Vero Beach FL

• 3 months later...

Hi,  I wanted to update my post and answer some questions with what I have learned from trial and error with my lipstick palm/red sealing wax palm. After several failures I spent a lot of time observing where these palms were doing well and under what conditions. I have seen them doing great in Singapore, Cairns Australia, St Lucia, Costa Rica, and the Northeast Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii. All of these places had one thing in common, a lot of rainfall. These Palms are denizens of low elevation swamps in Malaysia and love to have their feet(roots) wet at all times. They like an acidic soil with a nice amount of mulch to retain water in the soil. They hate windy conditions and shutter at any temperature below 58 degrees. I had heard that they could tolerate 40 degrees fahrenheit and I did not believe it until recently.  My tree is now 14 tall in a 100 gallon pot so bringing it inside is no longer feasible. I had an outdoor heater which decided to break on the coldest night in 10 years. The temperature fell to 41 degrees F. I had to improvise so I watered the soil around my tree with water heated to 170 degrees. I also stung some old school incandescent lights on the tree. I am happy to report that my tree survived with minimal damage. I did need to give it a treatment with a non-copper based fungicide.  Several of you have asked me where I got my Lipstick Palm. I purchased it from Sherman Forest Nursery for only $25 at the Fairchild Tropical Gardens Palm Show. This show is held every April on Palm Sunday. Unfortunately I think that Sherwood Forest Nursery may have closed. I cannot reach them which is a shame since their prices where very reasonable.  There is another fellow named Steve Stern's Exotic Palms in Homestead. He has some very nice Lipstick Palms but they cost more because they are much larger size trees. Mr Stern also seems to have found a variety that is more cold hardy.  He has a lot of other very rare palms for sale. This tree is one of the most beautiful palms in the world and it is well worth the effort. I hope that this information is helpful. I am still learning just like all of you by trial and error. By Gregg L. Friedman MD

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I forgot to mention that my Lipstick Palm as been in Full sunlight since it was a baby. By Gregg L. Friedman MD

I live about 100 kilometers south of Cairns.. And mine do take quite an amount of wind at times, but maybe its ok because of the extreem humidity here, so the winds arnt so drying .... yes full sun is a must, they stop growing altogether in shade and yes they need constant moisture .. All the big lipsticks down the ceter of the main road into Cairns got horribly burnt a week ago... temps got up to 40 c and most of the fronds turned yellow and brown... It was also 40 c where I live and mine are well watered around the nursery but they to showed signs of the same thing.. so extreem heat is another thing you can add to your list.  Ive see some growing in a public park south of here in a pond, they were in pots that were half submerged.   I have around 20 that would be over 20 foot high and have been growing them in my nursery business since 1990 

• Like 1

Concur ^^...... they are a fairly common exotic in the Darwin region. They do best in full sun but must be well watered. We have a 6 month 'dry season' with little or no rain so it is imperative to keep up the water to have them looking the best.
69030341_2870750552941695_3338649508505452544_o.jpg.876cc11e8bb746165b179fa61cdc96bc.jpg
20200124_143127.thumb.jpg.318b43af8ff69347bae597ccc4506d0c.jpg
This is what happens when not watered in the dry season....
68354944_2870751522941598_5054486031269625856_o.jpg.49fe1d243e0a96255b1991ffa97f67d1.jpg
68469463_2870752359608181_8699245718751150080_o.jpg.0e8b8b6154933247bf38520ed21c80d4.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

Dundee and greysrigging,

Will those toasted lipsticks recover? They don't look so well! :crying:

What happened was the tenants of the building moved out, and then it sat empty for 12 months whilst it was put up for sale.
Eventually all these palms were removed and nowadays there are hardier drought tolerant plants growing in the same spot.
Was a real shame to see the perfectly happy and healthy palms die off due to lack of care. I had a chat with a local 'Talk Back Gardener' radio show guru about the whole situation and he was appalled, saying in his own nursery he would retail that size healthy lipstick for 2 or 300 dollars each !

• Like 1