IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rain every day

metalfan

I am really tired of summer this year. Usually I really enjoy summer. But this year, it has rained EVERY DAY except maybe two. Some days it rains for hours. Some days its just a couple passing showers. But our ground is so saturated here, there is standing water everywhere, the mosquitoes are horrendous, and I am just waiting for a tree to fall over onto the house. Almost one year ago, on September 11, we took a direct hit here by Hurricane Irma. Last summer was wet too, and the ground was soft and saturated already when a 100 mph gust knocked three truly huge trees over on our property from pretty far out into the woods at about 2 am during the height of the storm. Two fell on the house on top of my bedroom. The other fell behind the house. If we get another Tropical Storm or hurricane here, it will be pretty awful because we are already swimming.

IMG_1401.JPG

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

@metalfan

It's been the wettest year on record so far up here.  We set a record for the month of May and a record for the first 7 months of the year already, and are well on the way to setting a record for the year.  The mosquitoes here are insane this year as well.  It's a sprint to the car at night, and I have to watch the shaded parts of the lot in the morning since they seem to lie in wait back there.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

LOL kinzyjr my husband and I have mosquito suits. We bought them off of Amazon.com. They are mesh suits that cover you head to foot. Even have little gloves. But they are HOT. You wouldn't think mesh would be but it is. But its better than wearing DEET 24/7

I take it these are the suits?: https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Repellent-Ultra-fine-Protective-Gardening/dp/B01I5AX9UO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1536201768&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mosquito+suit&psc=1

Maybe I need to invest in one.  If I ever need a blood transfusion and they ask my blood type, I'm just going to tell them mosquitoes love me.  That should be enough information.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

Hmmm, not bragging , complaining ... it hasn’t rained here in California ( non desert) for about 4 months.... never does.

i wish it would rain at least a couple of times midsummer. We rarely see a cloud.

Usually we stop raining in late April/early May and don’t see a drop until late sept... or early oct...

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

We live on 5 acres in a temperate hardwood hammock. There are areas of completely dry land surrounded by lower bits of land that are seasonally wet. So it resembles a swamp when there are periods of heavy rains. We have a creek behind our house that drains the property but right now the seasonal quasi-wetland portions of the hammock are full of water and the hammocks themselves are saturated. The water table is at or above the surface EVERYWHERE. Our property abuts a huge state wildlife preserve and a lot of the animals we usually see all the time have had to relocate somewhere drier until fall when hopefully this mess will dry up

In my highland garden we get 3-6 inches everyday ! We get sun for maybe one hour, then fog and mist and then the rains begin. We now have daily lahars flowing from the volcano. The road to my house is closed every day from 3pm - 6am. I have to pass several roadblocks to get to my house.Our rainy season is from May to October.

I love to escape to my beach garden to see the sun.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

East central Florida was normally wet in August.  Seems a bit wet so far in September--no need to water.  National Weather Service.  Of course we get sea breezes that sometimes push rain inland.

I happened to visit the Big Island of Hawaii after Kilauea went to sleep and before the hurricane deluge.  Good timing.  They may be in for another tropical storm deluge.

A hurricane landfall, probably in the Carolinas, is looking very likely.  Maybe I should have visited Charleston or Wilmington NC.  

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I don't understand the objection to excessive rain, but then, I live in Mobile.(couldn't find a place in Mawsynram)  Lush and green for me!

• Upvote 1

Manalto I guess you might if you were in danger of flooding

• Upvote 2

True enough. I've only lived in places where flooding was a risk from tropical storms or hurricanes.

I returned to Connecticut after three months away and an unusually hot and wet summer. Castor beans, canna and fig were all over 10' tall.

Not sure where in FL you are, but we've been having a relatively dry summer here in SW FL up until a couple weeks ago!

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 9/12/2018, 8:42:01, Missi said:

Not sure where in FL you are, but we've been having a relatively dry summer here in SW FL up until a couple weeks ago!

North Central. I think it has rained at my house every day since May except possibly 3. It rained yesterday. It rained today. Can't wait for it to dry up. I hope its a dry winter.

On 9/13/2018, 9:56:26, metalfan said:

I hope its a dry winter.

You take that back!! :blink: lol

On 9/13/2018, 9:56:26, metalfan said:

North Central. I think it has rained at my house every day since May except possibly 3. It rained yesterday. It rained today. Can't wait for it to dry up. I hope its a dry winter.

It has been similar here.  Rain almost every day since May, with very few dry days.  The plants love it, but so do the mosquitoes.

Lakeland, FL

6 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

It has been similar here.  Rain almost every day since May, with very few dry days.  The plants love it, but so do the mosquitoes.

As long as the plants are happy... :wub:

7 minutes ago, Missi said:

As long as the plants are happy... :wub:

Coconuts are especially happy...  :)

Easiest job in the world: Weatherman in Florida. 

Script for May-September:  Temperatures in the low to mid-90s, 50%-70% chance of an afternoon shower

Script for October, November, February, March, April: Temperatures in the high 70s-low 80s, 30% chance of rain.

Script for December & January:  Highs in the 70s, a small chance of rain... unless we're wrong and the wind comes from the north... then your plants might die.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

1 hour ago, kinzyjr said:

Coconuts are especially happy...  :)

Easiest job in the world: Weatherman in Florida. 

Script for May-September:  Temperatures in the low to mid-90s, 50%-70% chance of an afternoon shower

Script for October, November, February, March, April: Temperatures in the high 70s-low 80s, 30% chance of rain.

Script for December & January:  Highs in the 70s, a small chance of rain... unless we're wrong and the wind comes from the north... then your plants might die.

This Summer I've mostly seen 30-40% chance of afternoon showers, with an occasional 60%. It's weird and I hate it. :rolleyes: