IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Brazoria habitat pics

TexasColdHardyPalms

I was lucky enough to track down this elusive palm in its native area. I only saw around 20 total palms and wouldn't be surprised if there are less than 50 mature specimens in habitat.  Pics are a little goofy because the geotags have been removed. 

Screenshot_20180903-200622_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20180903-200612_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 13

The mosquitoes in the brush were next level stuff. I used 1/4can of deet 40 and a cloud of mosquitoes that sounded like an RC helicopter followed me everywhere. Until today I'd never been bit on my lip or ear canal before.  Two bobcats, lots of snakes and hundreds of spiders made the trip even more memorable. 

• Upvote 7

12 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

The mosquitoes in the brush were next level stuff. I used 1/4can of deet 40 and a cloud of mosquitoes that sounded like an RC helicopter followed me everywhere. Until today I'd never been bit on my lip or ear canal before.  Two bobcats, lots of snakes and hundreds of spiders made the trip even more memorable. 

Nice pics.  Thanks for your adventure!  But beware of Deet!  It is toxic and bad for us despite what the manufacturer wants us to believe.  I have what I think may be a Brazoria Sabal, but I am not sure.  I will try to post some pics in a couple of days, once I have a chance to take some pics of it.

John

Yea i know its not good, but it was better than the alternative at the time. I was glad i had the super strength spray. 

I assume you were on one of the wildlife refuges? 

Trivia: I have seen small S. brazoria's auctioned off/ gifted in Brazoria county in the recent past......... at a few fundraisers........ 

Yes, the mosquitoes are ferocious on the marsh right now.......

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

Awesome pics of this unique sabal.  They have been very hardy in Dallas.  Neat to see large ones!

Great pics thanks!

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

• 5 months later...

Where exactly in Brazoria county did you locate these? I use to live in Manvel, and I’m currently in the next county over.