Chris Wilson

Trachycarpus Fortunei Winsan

Jesse PNW

I know this is an old thread but any recent pics?

Chris Wilson
4 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I know this is an old thread but any recent pics?

This was a couple days ago, it's getting tall now and has probably already grown around 2 feet of trunk this summer.

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Jimhardy

360 leaves or not the "Winsan" seeds will produce a different looking palm to

Fortunei,I had some smaller plants a few years back and they had very interesting features.

With some of these Trachys the differences are so small you have to look closely.  Some have lumped

Manipur,Oreophilus and Takil together as the same palm but having all three in the garden(although still somewhat

small) you can definitely see differences.  They are not as easy to find these days(in the U.S.) like they were in the "good old days"

a few years back.:)

• Like 1

ColumbusPalm

This is amazing. Is it the only palm you have? Would love to see the others if not! 

• Like 1

Chris Wilson
3 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

This is amazing. Is it the only palm you have? Would love to see the others if not! 

Thanks! I have Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Minor, Sabal Causiarum, Chamaedorea Radicalis, Syagrus Romanzoffiana, and Washingtonia Robusta growing in the ground. I also have several in pots Phoenix Roebelenii, Dypsis Lutescens, Caryota Mitis, and Ravenea Rivularis. Also not a true palm but I have 2 Cycas Revoluta that have been in the ground for 4 years.

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

• Like 5

ColumbusPalm

You must have a serious micro climate going on or the best protection method out there! Can’t believe that’s just an hour or so south of me! 

• Like 2

Chris Wilson
12 minutes ago, ColumbusPalm said:

You must have a serious micro climate going on or the best protection method out there! Can’t believe that’s just an hour or so south of me! 

Most likely just my protection method lol. That corner where my tall Trachy is at is definitely a microclimate though, I left some Chamaedorea Radicalis there unprotected this past winter and they defoliated but grew back. The lowest temperature was around 7F. The only palms I have in the ground that haven’t been through a winter is the Syagrus and the Washingtonia. 

• Like 4

Chris Wilson

My palm today, I’m going to have to cover it sometime within the next couple weeks.

80D211F6-B284-4D2A-A2DB-CDF5AC7ADF88.jpeg

• Like 7

Fallen Munk

Mine with that growth habit changed this year.  The ice storm weighed all of the fronds and bent the petioles to the ground.  I had to cut off most of it and when it got new fronds, it looks totally different.

Before:

fortunei5.thumb.jpg.0edb67b927e37e5ced9d43bbb441eb4f.jpg

After:

fortunei2021x.thumb.jpg.5a7e7842a706576b62a7dbd49e3aac58.jpg

• Like 5

Jimhardy

Chris

Nice job growing that palm so large in Ohio...very cool!

• Like 1

Chris Wilson

Update on my Trachy today. It has survived its 6th winter in Ohio and looks great. I haven’t measured but it looks like it’s about 18 feet tall now.

3F6462A1-A308-4615-9DF7-A58835971A90.jpeg

• Like 8

RJ
6 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Update on my Trachy today. It has survived its 6th winter in Ohio and looks great. I haven’t measured but it looks like it’s about 18 feet tall now.

3F6462A1-A308-4615-9DF7-A58835971A90.jpeg

Still one of my favorites on PT, even more so considering it’s climate. :36_14_15[1]:

Edited by RJ
  • Like 4

Jimhardy

The palm is just awesome....reading through this thread again,I sound like a little b###h haha 

However I do agree with Vic that it looks like Nova...regardless she's a beauty and your place

looks super nice!

• Like 2

SailorBold
4 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

The palm is just awesome....reading through this thread again,I sound like a little b###h haha 

However I do agree with Vic that it looks like Nova...regardless she's a beauty and your place

looks super nice!

That is an awesome specimen..Are you growing a nova? I may have asked before but how hardy is it?

• Like 1

Jimhardy

12 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

That is an awesome specimen..Are you growing a nova? I may have asked before but how hardy is it?

I tried just about everything but I do not have a Nova sorry...

All I have in the ground now since I moved (palm wise) is 

T.Takil, T.Manipur(Naga Hills), T.Latisectus, T.Princeps, T.Orephilus, T.Gemenisectus and a T.Princeps x T.Wagnerianus

I have a few T.ferns too. I think T.Nova is probably slightly less hardy but it does grow fast

so recovery would presumably be fast.

Will Simpson

Nice growth habit ..

Will

• Like 1

Chris Wilson

My Trachy tonight. Growth hasn’t seemed to slow down at all, it has already grown 3 fronds so far this season.

BB84DBCA-FCAE-4A5D-9AE1-0EB30F82BE50.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Fallen Munk
21 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

My Trachy tonight. Growth hasn’t seemed to slow down at all, it has already grown 3 fronds so far this season.

Wow, the uplighting on that is stunning!

• Like 1