Jump to content
Chris Wilson

Trachycarpus Fortunei Winsan

Recommended Posts

GottmitAlex
18 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Just thought I would post an updated photo of my palm, it has grown 2+ feet of trunk over the past 5 months.

WindmillPalm9-27.jpg

Quite stunning, to be sure!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson
53 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Quite stunning, to be sure!

 

Thank you!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aldert

Winsan about 10 years!

20191027_131901.jpg

20191025_140453.jpg

20191025_140424.jpg

20191025_140347.jpg

20191025_140356.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson
On 10/28/2019 at 5:53 AM, Aldert said:

Winsan about 10 years!

20191027_131901.jpg

20191025_140453.jpg

20191025_140424.jpg

20191025_140347.jpg

20191025_140356.jpg

Nice palm!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

I covered my palm today for the winter and before I covered it I took a picture with me for scale. I'm 5'4" and the palm is just over 12.5 feet tall. Also posting a comparison to show how fast it's grown, the first picture was spring 2017 and the second only 2.5 years later and 8 feet taller!

IMG_0249.jpg

FB_IMG_1573099409936~2.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen
5 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

I covered my palm today for the winter and before I covered it I took a picture with me for scale. I'm 5'4" and the palm is just over 12.5 feet tall. Also posting a comparison to show how fast it's grown, the first picture was spring 2017 and the second only 2.5 years later and 8 feet taller!

IMG_0249.jpg

FB_IMG_1573099409936~2.jpg

That's the fastest growth I've ever seen on a Trachy of any kind.  Huge fronds and a beauty for sure.  Do you have a pic of how you covered it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson
20 minutes ago, Allen said:

That's the fastest growth I've ever seen on a Trachy of any kind.  Huge fronds and a beauty for sure.  Do you have a pic of how you covered it?

Thanks, covering it this year was a challenge. I had 2 old metal arbors that I combined to make a frame around the palm then covered it with a tarp and plastic. I used c9 Christmas lights for a heat source, they are plugged into a thermostat controlled outlet called a thermocube, the lights come on at 35f and off at 45f. 

20191110_170730.jpg

IMG_0254~2.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allen

Thanks for the protection pics.  A tough one to cover for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

Last year I bought some Winsan seeds and I only got 2 out of 10 to germinate. Here they are right now at around a year old and they have spent half of that time in the house where they don't grow much. Do they look like they are growing faster than normal Fortunei as well? I've never grown Trachys from seed before so I really don't know. I will most likely plant these in the ground next spring.

20191116_005601.jpg

20191116_005624.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vic
2 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Last year I bought some Winsan seeds and I only got 2 out of 10 to germinate. Here they are right now at around a year old and they have spent half of that time in the house where they don't grow much. Do they look like they are growing faster than normal Fortunei as well? I've never grown Trachys from seed before so I really don't know. I will most likely plant these in the ground next spring.

20191116_005601.jpg

20191116_005624.jpg

That’s not bad for a 1 year old seedling. I too bought some of these a year ago but they have been outside all year round and saw -6 unprotected. They are about the same size as yours now.  

Edited by Vic
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyManUtah
On 9/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, Chris Wilson said:

Just thought I would post an updated photo of my palm, it has grown 2+ feet of trunk over the past 5 months.

WindmillPalm9-27.jpg

I need this in my life. Beautiful palm you have here!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson
1 hour ago, Ryagra said:

I need this in my life. Beautiful palm you have here!

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OC2Texaspalmlvr
On 11/26/2019 at 10:02 PM, Ryagra said:

I need this in my life. Beautiful palm you have here!

Definitely a specimen palm and love's its location :greenthumb:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

Unwrapped my palm today, it looks great. Probably would of been fine unprotected this year the lowest temp was only 12F, way above normal.

IMG_1407.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
7 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Unwrapped my palm today, it looks great. Probably would of been fine unprotected this year the lowest temp was only 12F, way above normal.

IMG_1407.jpg

Very nice!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold

So awesome..  that is impressive i agree.  Is that a Nova then?   What is the hardiness compared to Fortunei anyone have experiences there?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson
7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

So awesome..  that is impressive i agree.  Is that a Nova then?   What is the hardiness compared to Fortunei anyone have experiences there?

Thanks! I'm not sure it seems to be similar to Nova, the person that I bought it from grew both Nova and Winsan from seed and said that they obviously weren't the same thing. I had a Nova and lost it this year after 13F. I don't know how hardy it is but I have heard that it is less hardy than regular Fortunei. The lowest temp my palm has seen was probably around 19F.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David York
On 3/2/2020 at 3:46 PM, SailorBold said:

So awesome..  that is impressive i agree.  Is that a Nova then?   What is the hardiness compared to Fortunei anyone have experiences there?

Interesting question, but no definitive answer yet. I have young potted plants of various ages that live outdoors all year round. To be fair, these days I only get probably -6c at best here, and not that often either. Things have warmed up considerably here in recent times.

But I suspect they will be similar or better than oreophilus which is around -10/-12c.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jcalvin
On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, Allen said:

That's the fastest growth I've ever seen on a Trachy of any kind.  Huge fronds and a beauty for sure.  Do you have a pic of how you covered it?

Man, I wish Trachy's looked that good down here in the Southeast. One can have a decent looking one if they grow it in the shade. If they're in full sun, might as well hang it up. They look pitiful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

My 7 year old palm is about to bloom for the first time!IMG_2302.thumb.jpg.c8476ffd4bcfb865f5f15b1ad4bb75f7.jpg

20200402_182220.jpg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

Update on my bloom. It appears to be a male but does it look different than a regular Fortunei? Over the past week the bloom has been growing upwards and rotating around the back of the palm.

IMG_3037.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SailorBold

Awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

An update on my palm, it grew another 2.5 feet of trunk this summer. 

IMG_8502.jpg

IMG_8488.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vic

It really is a nice palm, and clearing liking it’s location. Are the leaves actually 360 degree? as it’s not clear from the picture. It does look identical to nova which also has quite circular leaves. 
 

Yours has grown incredibly quickly! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson
17 hours ago, Vic said:

It really is a nice palm, and clearing liking it’s location. Are the leaves actually 360 degree? as it’s not clear from the picture. It does look identical to nova which also has quite circular leaves. 
 

Yours has grown incredibly quickly! 

Thanks! It doesn't have 360 degree leaves, it could be nova but the person I bought it from grew both nova and winsan and said they were clearly different. Who knows lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chris Wilson

My almost 8 year old palm is now at least 15 feet tall. Going to have to cover it this week, not sure exactly how though.

IMG_9432.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimhardy

usually this fast of growth is found in hybrids....as far as not being able to 

find the population in the wild that is true of Wagnerianus but not Winsan.

 

 

Nice looking palm!

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk

That's a nice graceful looking palm, no matter what it is.  I have a regular T. fortunei that was planted from seed six years ago that gets the 360 fronds about half the time.  It also has the longer petioles but is not nearly as graceful looking.  It definitely looks different than all of the other T. fortunei around here and there are a ton of them because I'm in the PNW.  Occasionally someone pulls up to the curb to take photos of it.

fortunei360.jpg

fortunei5.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
23 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

That's a nice graceful looking palm, no matter what it is.  I have a regular T. fortunei that was planted from seed six years ago that gets the 360 fronds about half the time.  It also has the longer petioles but is not nearly as graceful looking.  It definitely looks different than all of the other T. fortunei around here and there are a ton of them because I'm in the PNW.  Occasionally someone pulls up to the curb to take photos of it.

fortunei360.jpg

fortunei5.jpg

I have a few that produce 360 fronds as well, but it's not 100% of the fronds.  However they don't have the long petioles like yours does.  I always liked the long petiole ones better, like yours and the others posted on this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fallen Munk
33 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I have a few that produce 360 fronds as well, but it's not 100% of the fronds.  However they don't have the long petioles like yours does.  I always liked the long petiole ones better, like yours and the others posted on this thread.

Thanks!  It has a very distinct fountain shape.  One thing I've noticed about this "variant" if you want to call it that.  They seem hang on to their fronds for many years, so the fronds go all of the way down the trunk.  Some of the lower fronds on mine are four or five years old.  It has yet to flower, but I'm thinking next year.  Hoping for a female.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chester B
1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

Thanks!  It has a very distinct fountain shape.  One thing I've noticed about this "variant" if you want to call it that.  They seem hang on to their fronds for many years, so the fronds go all of the way down the trunk.  Some of the lower fronds on mine are four or five years old.  It has yet to flower, but I'm thinking next year.  Hoping for a female.

I have one that has long petioles and doesn't drop fronds either, it's currently about 10-12' tall except it has always had slightly shorter stiff fronds.  I noticed one of the fronds on the ground has turned brown, it's the first time in over 3 years since I planted it that I will be removing a frond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • RaleighNC
      By RaleighNC
      In April 2019 I posted photos of some of my plants.  After two growing seasons many of them have grown a lot.  I have tried to take the update photos from the same perspective, but often this was not possible.  I will post a few at a time.
      Trachycarpus nanus April 2019

       
      Nov 2020

       
      Cycas revoluta x taitungensis (April 1019)
       

      Nov 2020

    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Update On the McCurtain...the leaf I thought might be a more mature frond is another two leaf strap...at 62, I need it to grow faster but I think I’ll chalk this one up as a lesson in patience. It’s not going to be what it’s not...but it’s a good candidate for my zone....

    • konarikcy
      By konarikcy
      Hello all
      For those of us who do not live in the States, the USDA Hardiness zone guidelines are a useful indication of what may grow in our country. I live in Nicosia Cyprus where we have relatively mild winters for most months - it is October and we are currently 36oC  with 20oC(night).  But it will suddenly change and by January, it will be continuous cold,  a little wet with possibly zero some nights which would normally I think put me on a 9b bordering 10a zone.
      However this can be misleading as I have found out the hard way. We have months and months of Mediterranean summer reaching 46oC this year (blame global warming). This means that the USDA zone alone is an insufficient guideline for us with more extreme weather as it does not take into account the max summer temperatures, the length of summer and winter conditions, rainfall etc.
      Nowadays, I often look at what other people are growing with similar climates nearest being  Southern California and even Sydney  (not in Cyprus as there are few of us pushing boundaries I think). Having recently joined this site, I look forward to following closely what people are growing in these areas. I currently grow Bungalow palms, livistona chinensis, bismarkia, robellina, trachycarpus fortunii and waggies, chaemadorea, and many cycas, dioone and encepalartus. Here is a picture of part of my garden.
      I would be interested in hearing how other people decide on what to try apart from the obvious desperate "must have this plant" garden urge.
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Any lessons on Sabal fronds collapsing? This one is growing in Bethany Beach, DE and has been in ground for about 4-years...seems very healthy...new growth fronds are huge...any advise appreciated...just want to rule in or out any nutritional deficiencies...they collapse at the petiole...most other fronds seem strong.
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Good morning folks...these updates will seem a bit boring but...
       
      That Sabal Minor seed I sprouted (first palm seed I’ve ever sproutEd) is getting a second strap leaf!

      and...my Brazoria is getting a trunk!...I think...
       

×
×
  • Create New...