IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Fortunei Winsan

Chris Wilson

18 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Just thought I would post an updated photo of my palm, it has grown 2+ feet of trunk over the past 5 months.

WindmillPalm9-27.jpg

Quite stunning, to be sure!

• Like 3

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I covered my palm today for the winter and before I covered it I took a picture with me for scale. I'm 5'4" and the palm is just over 12.5 feet tall. Also posting a comparison to show how fast it's grown, the first picture was spring 2017 and the second only 2.5 years later and 8 feet taller!

IMG_0249.jpg

FB_IMG_1573099409936~2.jpg

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

I covered my palm today for the winter and before I covered it I took a picture with me for scale. I'm 5'4" and the palm is just over 12.5 feet tall. Also posting a comparison to show how fast it's grown, the first picture was spring 2017 and the second only 2.5 years later and 8 feet taller!

IMG_0249.jpg

FB_IMG_1573099409936~2.jpg

That's the fastest growth I've ever seen on a Trachy of any kind.  Huge fronds and a beauty for sure.  Do you have a pic of how you covered it?

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

20 minutes ago, Allen said:

That's the fastest growth I've ever seen on a Trachy of any kind.  Huge fronds and a beauty for sure.  Do you have a pic of how you covered it?

Thanks, covering it this year was a challenge. I had 2 old metal arbors that I combined to make a frame around the palm then covered it with a tarp and plastic. I used c9 Christmas lights for a heat source, they are plugged into a thermostat controlled outlet called a thermocube, the lights come on at 35f and off at 45f. 

20191110_170730.jpg

IMG_0254~2.JPG

• Like 3

Thanks for the protection pics.  A tough one to cover for sure.

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Last year I bought some Winsan seeds and I only got 2 out of 10 to germinate. Here they are right now at around a year old and they have spent half of that time in the house where they don't grow much. Do they look like they are growing faster than normal Fortunei as well? I've never grown Trachys from seed before so I really don't know. I will most likely plant these in the ground next spring.

20191116_005601.jpg

20191116_005624.jpg

2 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

Last year I bought some Winsan seeds and I only got 2 out of 10 to germinate. Here they are right now at around a year old and they have spent half of that time in the house where they don't grow much. Do they look like they are growing faster than normal Fortunei as well? I've never grown Trachys from seed before so I really don't know. I will most likely plant these in the ground next spring.

20191116_005601.jpg

20191116_005624.jpg

That’s not bad for a 1 year old seedling. I too bought some of these a year ago but they have been outside all year round and saw -6 unprotected. They are about the same size as yours now.  

Edited by Vic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 10:55 PM, Chris Wilson said:

Just thought I would post an updated photo of my palm, it has grown 2+ feet of trunk over the past 5 months.

WindmillPalm9-27.jpg

I need this in my life. Beautiful palm you have here!

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 10:02 PM, Ryagra said:

I need this in my life. Beautiful palm you have here!

Definitely a specimen palm and love's its location :greenthumb:

• Like 2

T J 

• 3 months later...

Unwrapped my palm today, it looks great. Probably would of been fine unprotected this year the lowest temp was only 12F, way above normal.

IMG_1407.jpg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Unwrapped my palm today, it looks great. Probably would of been fine unprotected this year the lowest temp was only 12F, way above normal.

IMG_1407.jpg

Very nice!!

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

So awesome..  that is impressive i agree.  Is that a Nova then?   What is the hardiness compared to Fortunei anyone have experiences there?

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

So awesome..  that is impressive i agree.  Is that a Nova then?   What is the hardiness compared to Fortunei anyone have experiences there?

Thanks! I'm not sure it seems to be similar to Nova, the person that I bought it from grew both Nova and Winsan from seed and said that they obviously weren't the same thing. I had a Nova and lost it this year after 13F. I don't know how hardy it is but I have heard that it is less hardy than regular Fortunei. The lowest temp my palm has seen was probably around 19F.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2020 at 3:46 PM, SailorBold said:

Interesting question, but no definitive answer yet. I have young potted plants of various ages that live outdoors all year round. To be fair, these days I only get probably -6c at best here, and not that often either. Things have warmed up considerably here in recent times.

But I suspect they will be similar or better than oreophilus which is around -10/-12c.

UK zone 8b/9a. No heavy frosts. Occasional -6c. Dull wet winters. Cool summers.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, Allen said:

Man, I wish Trachy's looked that good down here in the Southeast. One can have a decent looking one if they grow it in the shade. If they're in full sun, might as well hang it up. They look pitiful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update on my bloom. It appears to be a male but does it look different than a regular Fortunei? Over the past week the bloom has been growing upwards and rotating around the back of the palm.

IMG_3037.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

It really is a nice palm, and clearing liking it’s location. Are the leaves actually 360 degree? as it’s not clear from the picture. It does look identical to nova which also has quite circular leaves. 

Yours has grown incredibly quickly! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vic said:

It really is a nice palm, and clearing liking it’s location. Are the leaves actually 360 degree? as it’s not clear from the picture. It does look identical to nova which also has quite circular leaves. 

Yours has grown incredibly quickly! 

Thanks! It doesn't have 360 degree leaves, it could be nova but the person I bought it from grew both nova and winsan and said they were clearly different. Who knows lol.

• 1 month later...

My almost 8 year old palm is now at least 15 feet tall. Going to have to cover it this week, not sure exactly how though.

IMG_9432.jpg

• Like 3

usually this fast of growth is found in hybrids....as far as not being able to 

find the population in the wild that is true of Wagnerianus but not Winsan.

Nice looking palm!

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Like 1

That's a nice graceful looking palm, no matter what it is.  I have a regular T. fortunei that was planted from seed six years ago that gets the 360 fronds about half the time.  It also has the longer petioles but is not nearly as graceful looking.  It definitely looks different than all of the other T. fortunei around here and there are a ton of them because I'm in the PNW.  Occasionally someone pulls up to the curb to take photos of it.

fortunei360.jpg

fortunei5.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

That's a nice graceful looking palm, no matter what it is.  I have a regular T. fortunei that was planted from seed six years ago that gets the 360 fronds about half the time.  It also has the longer petioles but is not nearly as graceful looking.  It definitely looks different than all of the other T. fortunei around here and there are a ton of them because I'm in the PNW.  Occasionally someone pulls up to the curb to take photos of it.

fortunei360.jpg

fortunei5.jpg

I have a few that produce 360 fronds as well, but it's not 100% of the fronds.  However they don't have the long petioles like yours does.  I always liked the long petiole ones better, like yours and the others posted on this thread.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I have a few that produce 360 fronds as well, but it's not 100% of the fronds.  However they don't have the long petioles like yours does.  I always liked the long petiole ones better, like yours and the others posted on this thread.

Thanks!  It has a very distinct fountain shape.  One thing I've noticed about this "variant" if you want to call it that.  They seem hang on to their fronds for many years, so the fronds go all of the way down the trunk.  Some of the lower fronds on mine are four or five years old.  It has yet to flower, but I'm thinking next year.  Hoping for a female.

1 hour ago, Fallen Munk said:

Thanks!  It has a very distinct fountain shape.  One thing I've noticed about this "variant" if you want to call it that.  They seem hang on to their fronds for many years, so the fronds go all of the way down the trunk.  Some of the lower fronds on mine are four or five years old.  It has yet to flower, but I'm thinking next year.  Hoping for a female.

I have one that has long petioles and doesn't drop fronds either, it's currently about 10-12' tall except it has always had slightly shorter stiff fronds.  I noticed one of the fronds on the ground has turned brown, it's the first time in over 3 years since I planted it that I will be removing a frond.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I uncovered my palm a couple weeks ago. Still looking good, it’s getting tall and is going to be a challenge to cover it next winter.

9A6FB9E9-9C0F-4642-889A-A2FD4C5EC738.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

I uncovered my palm a couple weeks ago. Still looking good, it’s getting tall and is going to be a challenge to cover it next winter.

9A6FB9E9-9C0F-4642-889A-A2FD4C5EC738.jpeg

Nice looking.  When they get tall you still have a couple options.   The fronds all the way down the trunk make it harder too.  In 6b you're at that limit where you almost could get away with very light covering.  You might also limit water and feeding to not encourage it to grow as fast.  

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

I'm just amazed the fronds look so good after being wrapped, year after year.

• Like 2

That palm absolutely loves that spot and the attention it gets. Amazing specimen :greenthumb:

• Like 1

T J 

I really like how that one holds it's fronds on down the trunk. Wish they all did that. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RJ said:

I really like how that one holds it's fronds on down the trunk. Wish they all did that. 

Yea I have 2 that do that, I think it has to do with how fast it grows because fronds are generally kept for about 2 years.  So one growing at 2+ feet per year will keep 4-5 feet of fronds on the trunk.  It must also have to do with water and nutrient availability which is related to growth overall.