IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus Fortunei Winsan

Chris Wilson

4 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

I know this is an old thread but any recent pics?

This was a couple days ago, it's getting tall now and has probably already grown around 2 feet of trunk this summer.

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

360 leaves or not the "Winsan" seeds will produce a different looking palm to

Fortunei,I had some smaller plants a few years back and they had very interesting features.

With some of these Trachys the differences are so small you have to look closely.  Some have lumped

Manipur,Oreophilus and Takil together as the same palm but having all three in the garden(although still somewhat

small) you can definitely see differences.  They are not as easy to find these days(in the U.S.) like they were in the "good old days"

a few years back.:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColumbusPalm said:

This is amazing. Is it the only palm you have? Would love to see the others if not! 

Thanks! I have Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Minor, Sabal Causiarum, Chamaedorea Radicalis, Syagrus Romanzoffiana, and Washingtonia Robusta growing in the ground. I also have several in pots Phoenix Roebelenii, Dypsis Lutescens, Caryota Mitis, and Ravenea Rivularis. Also not a true palm but I have 2 Cycas Revoluta that have been in the ground for 4 years.

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

• Like 6

You must have a serious micro climate going on or the best protection method out there! Can’t believe that’s just an hour or so south of me! 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ColumbusPalm said:

You must have a serious micro climate going on or the best protection method out there! Can’t believe that’s just an hour or so south of me! 

Most likely just my protection method lol. That corner where my tall Trachy is at is definitely a microclimate though, I left some Chamaedorea Radicalis there unprotected this past winter and they defoliated but grew back. The lowest temperature was around 7F. The only palms I have in the ground that haven’t been through a winter is the Syagrus and the Washingtonia. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Mine with that growth habit changed this year.  The ice storm weighed all of the fronds and bent the petioles to the ground.  I had to cut off most of it and when it got new fronds, it looks totally different.

Before:

fortunei5.thumb.jpg.0edb67b927e37e5ced9d43bbb441eb4f.jpg

After:

fortunei2021x.thumb.jpg.5a7e7842a706576b62a7dbd49e3aac58.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

Update on my Trachy today. It has survived its 6th winter in Ohio and looks great. I haven’t measured but it looks like it’s about 18 feet tall now.

3F6462A1-A308-4615-9DF7-A58835971A90.jpeg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

Update on my Trachy today. It has survived its 6th winter in Ohio and looks great. I haven’t measured but it looks like it’s about 18 feet tall now.

3F6462A1-A308-4615-9DF7-A58835971A90.jpeg

Still one of my favorites on PT, even more so considering it’s climate. :36_14_15[1]:

Edited by RJ
  • Like 4

The palm is just awesome....reading through this thread again,I sound like a little b###h haha 

However I do agree with Vic that it looks like Nova...regardless she's a beauty and your place

looks super nice!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimhardy said:

The palm is just awesome....reading through this thread again,I sound like a little b###h haha 

However I do agree with Vic that it looks like Nova...regardless she's a beauty and your place

looks super nice!

That is an awesome specimen..Are you growing a nova? I may have asked before but how hardy is it?

• Like 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

12 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

That is an awesome specimen..Are you growing a nova? I may have asked before but how hardy is it?

I tried just about everything but I do not have a Nova sorry...

All I have in the ground now since I moved (palm wise) is 

T.Takil, T.Manipur(Naga Hills), T.Latisectus, T.Princeps, T.Orephilus, T.Gemenisectus and a T.Princeps x T.Wagnerianus

I have a few T.ferns too. I think T.Nova is probably slightly less hardy but it does grow fast

so recovery would presumably be fast.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My Trachy tonight. Growth hasn’t seemed to slow down at all, it has already grown 3 fronds so far this season.

BB84DBCA-FCAE-4A5D-9AE1-0EB30F82BE50.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

My Trachy tonight. Growth hasn’t seemed to slow down at all, it has already grown 3 fronds so far this season.

Wow, the uplighting on that is stunning!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Update on my Trachy, it looks like it grew about 2 feet again this year. In a couple months I will have to cover it for the winter.F259F55B-625E-4306-BD34-AE2370CA5BF1.thumb.jpeg.a9db891178f5290bb7545b4970fc31e6.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

... In a couple months I will have to cover it for the winter.

So ... how would you go about that? Curious.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

So ... how would you go about that? Curious.

I’ll try to do it the same way I did last winter. I wrap Christmas lights around it then cover it with tarps and plastic. The lights are plugged into a thermocube, it turns the lights on when the temp in there goes below 35F and then the lights go off once it reaches 45F. I’ll definitely have to get a ladder this year, last year I used a pool ladder and that’s not going to work this year lol.

1C7A6D6C-57F9-4CDC-98DF-9BDB1A02894F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I am not a trachy fan until I saw this particular Chris Wilson post this to Facebook. Does anyone know a Canadian supplier that sells these? Has anyone planted one or grow one in Canada? Where did you obtain it?

• Like 2

Nice palm there, but sometimes when you breed a regular T. Fortunei(male), and maybe for example a Winsan(female), you may get a hybrid(not neccesarily in the genes of the palm) with traits from the winsan and the regular T. Fortunei, so you can get a seedling that has 360 fronds but it has a trunk of a T. fortunei, or you get a seedling with traits of T. fortunei but the seed formation is different. It varys when it comes to breeding, especially his could be a hybrid crossed with a regular fortunei or the same hybrid, but it varys. For example, my friend has a sabal minor but it trunks a bit faster than normal. I may be either wrong or right about this.

Edit:

I realized I was reading the messages from 2019 lol

Edited by ChicagoPalma
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChicagoPalma said:

By chance, could I get some seeds or seedlings?

I think it’s a solitary palm, so no mate 🤕

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

By chance, could I get some seeds or seedlings?

Mine’s a male and it’s the only mature Trachy I have.

An update on this palm. Even though this winter has been pretty mild overall, the arctic air outbreak in late December may have heavily damaged or possibly killed my palm. I lost electricity for 14 hours that day and my palm was left unheated with temperatures around 0 to -3 Fahrenheit the entire time. I have peeked and I can’t see much but what I could see was brown fronds. It looked like some of the petioles are still green so maybe there’s a chance. I usually uncover at the end of February so I will probably update again in a week or 2.

• Like 1

If the spear is green and not fried, it's still alive, but the fortunei will still live, but you will have to heavily treat it with copper fungicide, these things can survive up to -5 farenheit sometimes, so don't lose hope. If it is still alive, it mind spend a lot of time pushing out new fronds.

Edit

I finally realized its a Trachycarpus nova, so it might be toasted, but as long at the center and the spear is green, you are good to go, and those green petioles show signs of life.

Edited by ChicagoPalma
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2023 at 7:12 PM, Jerrrod said:

Hey Chris, just found this thread, sorry to hear what happened. What's the outcome?

It survived! It lost most of its fronds but has already grown 2 new ones and is currently blooming.

957D20C6-503A-45C0-A375-6D79DDE4A7C8.jpeg

2D95D864-C208-4266-98E9-7B81CA8546A4.jpeg

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Chris Wilson said:

It survived! It lost most of its fronds but has already grown 2 new ones and is currently blooming.

957D20C6-503A-45C0-A375-6D79DDE4A7C8.jpeg

2D95D864-C208-4266-98E9-7B81CA8546A4.jpeg

Super Awesome.  And it's so tall!!

• Like 3

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Just realized you live in zone 6a/6b! Awesome results! I must say i forgot it was a fortunei but fortunei's are bulletproof by the time they mature.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Just realized you live in zone 6a/6b! Awesome results! I must say i forgot it was a fortunei but fortunei's are bulletproof by the time they mature.

Thanks! I’m in 6b. I had several plants surprise me, my Washingtonia Robusta is growing back along with Chamaedorea Radicalis. My Cycas Revoluta still has green fronds! And even my Meyer lemon is starting to grow back. 

• Like 2

Love that palm! Good work :greenthumb:

Side note,did you ever plant your Bulgaria x Nainital? Just put mine in this year, took the spot of a poorly performing takil.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Love that palm! Good work :greenthumb:

Side note,did you ever plant your Bulgaria x Nainital? Just put mine in this year, took the spot of a poorly performing takil.

I did and it barely grew and died before winter even arrived lol.

2 hours ago, Chris Wilson said:

I did and it barely grew and died before winter even arrived lol.

Well that sucks, hopefully mine doesn't act like that 🤞

Edited by N8ALLRIGHT
Misspelled
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on my palm, it’s recovering really well. So far it has grown 7 new fronds this year, I went ahead and removed all of the brown fronds a couple weeks ago. I think it will look decent by fall.41948859-051F-4FFC-AA9A-86C99E08514E.thumb.jpeg.5a2db937c8d4b0e1a71ba9781d117ad4.jpeg

• Like 7