IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potted palm cold tolerance Mule, trachy and Palmetto

Allen

What's best guess on low SAFE tolerance temps (excluding windchill) for these palms.

Large trachy fortunei in 30 gallon double walled plastic pot with 2' trunk.    (last year left outside down to 20F)

6' mule palm F1 in 15 gallon clay pot.  (last year left outside to 25F)

Small Sabal Palmetto 1.5' in 3 gallon nursery pot.  (new additions didn't have last year)

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

The general rule I see is one growing zone colder when in a pot regardless of size.  So if its a 8a plant you should treat it as 7a.

I saw a large waggie (15') die in a large box at the nursery, when we experienced a bad winter a couple back.  That was in the top 5 worst we've ever had, which was equivalent to an 8A.

21 minutes ago, Chester B said:

The general rule I see is one growing zone colder when in a pot regardless of size.  So if its a 8a plant you should treat it as 7a.

I saw a large waggie (15') die in a large box at the nursery, when we experienced a bad winter a couple back.  That was in the top 5 worst we've ever had, which was equivalent to an 8A.

I like this rule of thumb to get you started really you don’t want your roots to freeze period and that happens way faster in pots than in the ground. Assuming there not near some kind of heat sourse

Thanks Do you think the small palmetto's can take 20F sitting right beside the house in the pot?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

A windmill that size will have zero issue at 10F in a pot.

Palmetto can handle high teens in a pot without issue.

That mule better go inside at anything less than 25F though.

Thanks.  I'll be careful about the mule it has started to look real nice.  It is growing real fast.  Not many fronds but the new ones are much larger.  I think 2 more years and I can't keep it potted as it will be too big to move. 

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Allen said:

I think 2 more years and I can't keep it potted as it will be too big to move. 

IMG_1095.JPG

Allen, When it outgrows its pot, I know someone who may be able to take the mule down to the Gulf Coast on his next road trip there.:innocent:

Edited by Manalto

I think you should try putting that trachycarpus in the ground! Might do well there at its size. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

1 hour ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

I think you should try putting that trachycarpus in the ground! Might do well there at its size. 

I agree.  The plan is to do that when I just can't keep in a pot anymore.  I have so many palms in the ground I can't look after anymore easily and there is little room so it's staying in the pot as long as I can.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Manalto said:

Yes I'll keep this in mind.  I do plan on giving it away if it makes it.  I expect it will be about 8 feet tall when I can't deal with it anymore.  It really grows WIDE fast.   Pics make these palms look small, these are really large pots.   That mule palm pot is as big as I can get on a dolly and the trachy pot is over 3 feet tall.  The coffee cup elephant ear in the background on the trachy is about 6.5' tall for reference.

Not to go off subject, but as far as getting too big to move around, I have a 9ft. Concert grand piano and to move that I have a furniture dolly that sits horizontally on 4 heavy duty casters. It's rated for 1100 lbs. If the base of the pots is big enough not to go through the opening in the bottom, you could use those to move them around.if worse came to worse you could cover the top of the dolly with plywood or close off sections of the opening, then if the pots were left on the dollies it would still leave drainage openings. Just a suggestion.

I think these palms you have are beautiful. A couple months ago someone here offered to sell me mule palm seeds but never heard anything more about them. Had they sent me their PayPal address I most certainly would have bought them.

Thanks Mark

On 9/7/2018, 10:07:19, Allen said:

I agree.  The plan is to do that when I just can't keep in a pot anymore.  I have so many palms in the ground I can't look after anymore easily and there is little room so it's staying in the pot as long as I can.

My wife feels the same way! If you need me to take it off your hands I have the perfect spot for it lol. But yeah I am not a potted plant guy. They require too much work, and after this season other than carrying over plants to be planted in the ground Ill likely stick to a few small pots in the shop like venus fly trap or some kind of chamaerodea for fresher air. Definitely something bullet proof in a pot...maybe a cycad...

Edited by mdsonofthesouth

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto