IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus schizophylla x romanzoffiana

Josue Diaz

Update for the two out front. Looking good. One went to seed and I didn’t even know it

3B73B49B-D15A-4C17-9BA3-F588DE9B896E.jpeg

59699321-A0B6-49EE-85C0-AFD19EFF0329.jpeg

• Like 11

Damn I think the monty confused me, I see another purchase is imminent.  Anyone growing this, would love to see some pics?

16 hours ago, Fusca said:

Yeah Craig, they're generally considered hardy to just 9b and up.  :(  Looks like Patric Schafer has made this cross with Butia - it's on his latest list that I sent you.  It's the 7th one from the top listed as "Butia x Monty".  Could be a winner for our zone!

@8B palmsJon is right, Patric is making this hybrid right now. I believe @Ben in Norcal posted he got 1 atleast. Also I'm thinking Butia x Lyto wedd could possibly be a 9a palm 

• Like 1

T J 

I am going to have to get one of those hybrids, I got one of his Butia odorata x Lytocaryum Hoehnei, however its just a strap leaf but has already pushed out over an inch since I repotted it into a 7 gallon pot, wanted to give it plenty of room, I am hoping it proves to be a go cold hardy impressive palm.

Im really digging my BxLyto so far in the short time I've had it. Definitely doesn't seem to be as squat as all the other butia hybrids. 

T J 

1 hour ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@8B palmsJon is right, Patric is making this hybrid right now. I believe @Ben in Norcal posted he got 1 atleast. Also I'm thinking Butia x Lyto wedd could possibly be a 9a palm 

Yes - anyone who gets a Butia x Monty, that's made with pollen from my Coco Queens.  :D

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

No but I need to get one, I just got 4 palms from Patric and I could kick myself for not getting one of these, I got too excited by his list, its like Christmas morning when you get to see what goodies are there. Does anyone have pics of how these are turning out as they get some size?

Im pretty sure these BxMontys are fairly new so I'm doubting anyone has a mature one. Could be wrong tho haha. @Ben in Norcal can we see a picture of Coco queens 

T J 

Here are some of the parent plants on the Butia x Monty. You will note that Patric has some seeds bagged here - we are trying to make hybrids with the Coco Queen as the mother plant. It would be great if someone knows how to fix the images - they always post wrong on PT!

CF7848F1-3235-451A-9644-9994583C4941.jpeg

CE5A097A-F4BB-42C2-B789-1AE2ED1AF1B4.jpeg

AE1D14A8-8867-424D-A775-DCB11DC6B0EA.jpeg

• Like 3

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Man those are soooo much better looking then a regular queen 

T J 

I second that, I can only imagine how cool the Butia x Monty would look, that probably would have to be cold hardy into the upper teens.  

8 minutes ago, 8B palms said:

Hi Gonzer, is this the Butia x Monty or Syagrus x Syagrus (Cocos queen)? 

There are no Butia x Monty more advanced than seedlings.  At least, not from Patric - my trees have only been flowering 2-3 years.

Ben Rogers

Thanks Ben, well that puts that question to bed, we will all have to wait to see how cool this hybrid will turn out to be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 8B palms said:

Hi Gonzer, is this the Butia x Monty or Syagrus x Syagrus (Cocos queen)? 

x Montgomeryana

From a 1 gallon planted 10 years ago from John Ingwersen.

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

x Montgomeryana

From a 1 gallon planted 10 years ago from John Ingwersen.

So what is the actual cross ? 

T J 

2 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So what is the actual cross ? 

Syagrus x montgomeryana is another name for Syagrus schizopylla x romanzoffiana.  AKA coconut queen, super parrot.  Now the question is why Patric chose Butia x 'Monty' for the name of his new cross.  Since he used Ben's coconut queen maybe Monty is Ben's nickname?

Jon Sunder

5 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Syagrus x montgomeryana is another name for Syagrus schizopylla x romanzoffiana.  AKA coconut queen, super parrot.  Now the question is why Patric chose Butia x 'Monty' for the name of his new cross.  Since he used Ben's coconut queen maybe Monty is Ben's nickname?

No.  Patric is old school...Coco Queen is a relatively new marketing name...x montgomeryana has been used a lot longer.  

Ben Rogers

3 minutes ago, Ben in Norcal said:

No.  Patric is old school...Coco Queen is a relatively new marketing name...x montgomeryana has been used a lot longer.  

Ah, Monty short for Montgomeryana!  Didn't pick up on that!  Duh!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

29 minutes ago, Fusca said:

Gotta love it , learn something everyday on PT B)

thanks @Ben in Norcal

• Like 1

T J 

5 hours ago, Fusca said:

A good example of why common names/nursery names are a pain in the a$$. The proper botanical nomenclature is there for a reason.

Edited by Gonzer
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Gonzer said:

A good example of why common names/nursery names are a pain in the a$$. The proper botanical nomenclature is there for a reason.

Isn't that the hard thing about hybrids tho ? They may never get a botanical name. When most people talk about certain hybrids , they use a common name or abbreviation. Noone hardly ever call Mule palms by an abbreviation or botanical name =/ I love calling palms by there latin names , hybrids not so much haha 

• Like 1

T J 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2020 at 11:13 AM, Fusca said:

Are you sure it's S. Schizophylla x Rom. and not S. romanzoffiana x schiz. to make the Coco Queen?/ Howfam

3 hours ago, howfam said:

Are you sure it's S. Schizophylla x Rom. and not S. romanzoffiana x schiz. to make the Coco Queen?/ Howfam

You might want to ask Erik since he actually does the cross himself:

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...

Just noticed a flower starting on mine. Didn't think I would see that yet but very interesting to see. This palm is definitely going to have a thin trunk but starting to look great. I know I probably won't get seed but still cool. 

20200806_145802.jpg

20200806_145836.jpg

20200806_145820.jpg

• Like 5

They all flower very young.  Every one of mine is flowering, and Patric is setting seed on a bunch of them.  LOL.

If any of y'all get a Monty cross from Patric, it's from my yard. :D

• Like 1

Ben Rogers

I was actually going to ask if anyone is crossing these with something else. I don't have anything else to cross with at the moment but might give it a try at some point. 

9 minutes ago, Chris Chance said:

I was actually going to ask if anyone is crossing these with something else. I don't have anything else to cross with at the moment but might give it a try at some point. 

We've had success with Butia x Monty, and plants are available (I have a seedling.)  Not sure what else Patric is trying - he's got labels on everything but has his own unique, unintelligible nomenclature! :lol:

Ben Rogers

25 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

Yesterday, they do seem to flower a lot but won’t get any seed

5B7225D0-B165-471E-A838-263F5BE0625A.jpeg

Don't be so sure, Derrick.  I have open sets we think look viable on cutting them open.  Could be a cross with my nearby Butia yatay, or nearby Queens.

Ben Rogers

8 hours ago, Ben in Norcal said:

Don't be so sure, Derrick.  I have open sets we think look viable on cutting them open.  Could be a cross with my nearby Butia yatay, or nearby Queens.

Here is one that was cut open. It’s full of something and they are getting big. This one look viable? Middle was full of clear water 

94781475-BC26-4CB6-B235-4245ABA3B828.jpeg

Edited by enigma99

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/17/2018 at 4:02 PM, enigma99 said:

Couple of mine.. still kinda small but have been solid growers. Only have 3 total but they are nice

4-A7-C0-AF4-FB6-F-4-A21-9-E82-892209-F47

Update. Saw one flower laying on the grass.. not a typical sight with palms but these do flower early.

F4B68CD8-80F0-47ED-A863-34206BE12EB1.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 8/7/2020 at 2:31 PM, Ben in Norcal said:

We've had success with Butia x Monty, and plants are available (I have a seedling.)  Not sure what else Patric is trying - he's got labels on everything but has his own unique, unintelligible nomenclature! :lol:

Hey how’s your butia x Monty doing ?

2 hours ago, Robbertico18 said:

Hey how’s your butia x Monty doing ?

I’d love to see some update pics as well!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...