IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Philodendron verrucosum

metalfan

Another plant I thought I'd lost....but didn't! Making a comeback. This was always perhaps my fave philo

arieljewelry 253.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Start it climbing ASAP. It gets bigger if it is allowed to climb, seems to stall out if left to range around on the greenhouse floor

• Like 1

Thanks! I have all my Philos up against a wall so they can go up. Now that you mention it, I do notice the leaves get bigger as they go higher the wall. Very neat. 

• 2 years later...

Hey, metal man! I know I’m 2 years late haha, but I’ve recently been collecting verrucosum types. I don’t seem to have this variation. I’m wondering if you’d be willing to sell a cutting? Or even a plant. Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 8:55 AM, Kay angel said:

Hey, metal man! I know I’m 2 years late haha, but I’ve recently been collecting verrucosum types. I don’t seem to have this variation. I’m wondering if you’d be willing to sell a cutting? Or even a plant. Thanks again! 

Lol I am not a man. Where do you live?

• 1 year later...

This is Philodendron verrucosum 'standard form'. It is the oldest form, which a decade or so ago, was the ONLY form available. Now, its the rare form. There are a lot of variations on the market now. No, I don;t really sell from online. I trade and sell locally where I live, we have a rare and unusual plant group.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, metalfan said:

This is Philodendron verrucosum 'standard form'. It is the oldest form, which a decade or so ago, was the ONLY form available. Now, its the rare form. There are a lot of variations on the market now. No, I don;t really sell from online. I trade and sell locally where I live, we have a rare and unusual plant group.

It looks pretty tender.  I assume this is something you are growing inside your greenhouse?  I ask because if it can't survive year round outside, I don't have an indoor or greenhouse growing space and am looking to add some color and additional Philo's to some shaded spots in my garden.  I know my climate is very different, but still interested in how it fares in your part of Florida.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Tracy, this would totally not survive outdoors here. It might be able to be covered with frost cloth during the worst bits, but, my part of FL gets at least one dip to the 20's every winter. We used to get a lot more of them, but the past 5 years, its been only once a winter, or twice. But, we do have a 'real' winter here, unlike Miami LOL. They squeal when it gets to be 50 at night. WE drop from the 70-75 overnights firmly into the 60's, then the 50's with a spattering of 40's, and the occasional 25-39. We can have things like Monstera deliciosa and Epipipremnum aureum outdoors here but they get damage in the freezes. What I think would do this plant and others like it in would be the continued sub-par temps at night. I am familiar with the old climate I had in So Cal in Culver City, I might have been able to grow this there but we were pretty cool routinely during the nights there in winter too even with the proximity to Venice and Santa Monica...40's-50's. But I have a friend in CC that has grown some pretty spectacular successes outside over the years. Jade vine, lots of orchids, heliconias and the like. Took them extra long to bloom though. His H. rostrata too 10 years to bloom, here they take 18 month-2 years.

I have had some success with growing Philodendron Jose Buono and Philodendron King/Ace of Spades outdoors here in protected locations. King/Ace is the old original name for Dark Lord. Jose Buono I had out for 5 years, growing on a bottlebrush tree. It was an experiment in zone pushing, I never protected it. The leaves would only be affected at temps freezing or below. If they froze off, the stem never did and the leaves grew back (even MORE variegated) in Spring. I finally had to take it down only because the bottlebrush died and started falling apart.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, metalfan said:

Jose Buono I had out for 5 years,

Thank you for the feedback.  I have a couple of cuttings of P Jose Buono that I planted in my garden back in September 2016 and both are doing fine, climbing on the shady side of my block wall.  That's sort of a benchmark I hope, so I'm looking for Philo's and Anthuriums with similar cool tolerance.  I don't see the extreme drops, but average winter temps overnight drop into the low 40's quite regularly in the La Nina years with the occasional high 30's.  Overnight temps start climbing right back up as the sun rises, because the coldest nights are always clear here.  I'm waiting to try a P. Congo Rojo or P Rojo Congo, depending on which is the correct nomenclature.  I understand these are surviving our winters outside. I recently acquired a potted one which is ready to go in the ground when overnight lows start their inevitable climb back up as we enter Spring.  It sounds like I'll have to pass on the P. verrucosum though.

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

You might research some of the high elevation Anthuriums. I have an Anthurium metallicum which I think I have been ***extremely lucky*** to keep alive so far. Its a cool grower from high elevation which really struggles in the extreme heat here in FL in late Spring and through even November. They like 70/50 and I give them 95/75 LOL. The only time I get new leaves is in winter. In summer, the plant sulks. I have even taken it into the house in winters past in summer into the A/C. I bought it at Ecuagenera USA when they FIRST opened in Apopka, its been I think 3 years ago. It was extremely inexpensive for this species...I paid $45. It looks pretty fab now, but in a month or 2 it will be in sulk mode. The problem with taking it into the house now is that this species grows extremely long adventitious roots. Mine has roots that are almost 7 ft long. They have rooted into the floor of the greenhouse. I may try using a little clip on fan this summer JUST for this damn plant LOL. This may be something that would do well for you though. I don;t know the lower end of the temp extreme it likes but I don;t think high 40's would be out of its parameters. You might research though 

IMG_2414.JPG