IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A couple of years ago, the Palm Society of Southern California had a meeting and tour of Jeff Brusseau's home in Vista.  At the end of the meeting Jeff had a bunch of cuttings from some undergrowth plants that he gave away to the attendees.  I remember talking to him about how special plants were to him that he received from others.  I always think of that tour and Jeff's generosity in hosting the event when I look at this plant.  I know I heard what it was at the time, but I don't remember it's name.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the colorful underside of the leaf of this plant.  Bottom line, I'm looking for the ID.  And thanks again to Jeff & his wife, I know that there were a lot of other folks who have propagated the many cuttings he shared that day.

20180827-104A0440.jpg

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Well those 2 big aroid leaves are a philodendron, I'm not sure which one, A different angle on the photo would be nice

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Looks like P. erubescens. There are a number of cultivars of it, but don't know which one that would be.

It could be Red Cardinal. Or Ace of Spades. I also see some monstera peeking out. I have two of the same erubescens cultivars, mine are Ace of Spades and Autumn Leaves. But are really fast growers and I have had to cut them back by half more than once to contain them.

I misspoke earlier, it isn't Ace of Spades (I must have been thinking about my Anthurium that I believe is Ace of Spades) its KING of Spades. I am almost certain that is what your hilo is. It looks exactly like mine. The leaves are a beautiful red underneath, right?

On 8/27/2018, 6:30:10, metalfan said:

Well those 2 big aroid leaves are a philodendron, I'm not sure which one, A different angle on the photo would be nice

Same plant, different angle and a "normal" 35mm lens instead of the fisheye 15mm.

20180829-104A0467.jpg

20180829-104A0468.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 8/28/2018, 4:34:10, metalfan said:

I also see some monstera peeking out

Actually not a Monstera deliciosa in that photo.  I bought it hoping it was, but its just a common variety of Philodendron which is often sold for indoor growth.  I do have Monstera deliciosa in some other parts of the garden though and it has much bigger leaves, which get the large swiss cheese look going as well as the "fruit".

20180829-104A0452.jpg

Hmmmm yours is not red leading me to believe it may be Black Cardinal not King of Spades. The variegated one os Philodendron domesticum variegata. You may see it advertised as Philodendron Imbe but that is not its correct name. The variegation on the new leaves often fades as the leaf ages. This plant can get huge, it is a very vigorous grower

The Monstera-looking plant isn't a Philo. It's Raphidophera tetrasperma, often sold incorrectly as "Philodendron sp.", sometimes also called "Little Monster".

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, metalfan said:

Hmmmm yours is not red leading me to believe it may be Black Cardinal not King of Spades.

The underside starts out red and then goes to the color depicted after the new leaf has matured.

50 minutes ago, tropicbreeze said:

The Monstera-looking plant isn't a Philo. It's Raphidophera tetrasperma, often sold incorrectly as "Philodendron sp.", sometimes also called "Little Monster".

Thank you for the correct ID.  They are sold here all the time incorrectly labeled as "Philodendron sp.", which is the reason for my ignorance.

13 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Oh I used to have that Rhaphidophera! May still I am still locating stuff in the greenhouse LOL