Tracy

A couple of years ago, the Palm Society of Southern California had a meeting and tour of Jeff Brusseau's home in Vista.  At the end of the meeting Jeff had a bunch of cuttings from some undergrowth plants that he gave away to the attendees.  I remember talking to him about how special plants were to him that he received from others.  I always think of that tour and Jeff's generosity in hosting the event when I look at this plant.  I know I heard what it was at the time, but I don't remember it's name.  Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of the colorful underside of the leaf of this plant.  Bottom line, I'm looking for the ID.  And thanks again to Jeff & his wife, I know that there were a lot of other folks who have propagated the many cuttings he shared that day.

20180827-104A0440.jpg

• Upvote 1

metalfan

Well those 2 big aroid leaves are a philodendron, I'm not sure which one, A different angle on the photo would be nice

tropicbreeze

Looks like P. erubescens. There are a number of cultivars of it, but don't know which one that would be.

metalfan

It could be Red Cardinal. Or Ace of Spades. I also see some monstera peeking out. I have two of the same erubescens cultivars, mine are Ace of Spades and Autumn Leaves. But are really fast growers and I have had to cut them back by half more than once to contain them.

metalfan

I misspoke earlier, it isn't Ace of Spades (I must have been thinking about my Anthurium that I believe is Ace of Spades) its KING of Spades. I am almost certain that is what your hilo is. It looks exactly like mine. The leaves are a beautiful red underneath, right?

metalfan

Here are photos of mine.Top of leaf 

IMG_2113.JPG

metalfan

Bottom of the same leaf (red with red stem)

IMG_2114.JPG

• Upvote 1

Tracy
On 8/27/2018, 6:30:10, metalfan said:

Well those 2 big aroid leaves are a philodendron, I'm not sure which one, A different angle on the photo would be nice

Same plant, different angle and a "normal" 35mm lens instead of the fisheye 15mm.

20180829-104A0467.jpg

20180829-104A0468.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tracy

A couple of others I received the same day.

20180829-104A0453.jpg

20180829-104A0454.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tracy
On 8/28/2018, 4:34:10, metalfan said:

I also see some monstera peeking out

Actually not a Monstera deliciosa in that photo.  I bought it hoping it was, but its just a common variety of Philodendron which is often sold for indoor growth.  I do have Monstera deliciosa in some other parts of the garden though and it has much bigger leaves, which get the large swiss cheese look going as well as the "fruit".

20180829-104A0452.jpg

metalfan

Hmmmm yours is not red leading me to believe it may be Black Cardinal not King of Spades. The variegated one os Philodendron domesticum variegata. You may see it advertised as Philodendron Imbe but that is not its correct name. The variegation on the new leaves often fades as the leaf ages. This plant can get huge, it is a very vigorous grower

tropicbreeze

The Monstera-looking plant isn't a Philo. It's Raphidophera tetrasperma, often sold incorrectly as "Philodendron sp.", sometimes also called "Little Monster".

• Upvote 1

Tracy
2 hours ago, metalfan said:

Hmmmm yours is not red leading me to believe it may be Black Cardinal not King of Spades.

The underside starts out red and then goes to the color depicted after the new leaf has matured.

50 minutes ago, tropicbreeze said:

The Monstera-looking plant isn't a Philo. It's Raphidophera tetrasperma, often sold incorrectly as "Philodendron sp.", sometimes also called "Little Monster".

Thank you for the correct ID.  They are sold here all the time incorrectly labeled as "Philodendron sp.", which is the reason for my ignorance.

metalfan
13 hours ago, tropicbreeze said:

Oh I used to have that Rhaphidophera! May still I am still locating stuff in the greenhouse LOL