Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Weird Worm Things In Slime on Soil

PalmTreeDude

So I looked at the top of the soil that I have my Sabal minor in and there is a weird slime. I thought it was mold or something so I put it in the sun (to hopefully kill it) and when I put it in the sun I noticed it looked like it was sparkling, like water in a lake. I looked closer and there are these tiny worm or maggot things in it. Does anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them? Are they harmful? 

20180827_124113.jpg

mdsonofthesouth

Mosquitoes? 

TexasColdHardyPalms

That soil is entirely too wet. 

PalmTreeDude
2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Mosquitoes? 

They don't look like mosquito larva, at least not the ones I have seen before. They dried up in the sun. 

47 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That soil is entirely too wet. 

I took this picture just after I watered it (literally seconds after, there is a hole at the bottom aswell). The slime was there before when the soil was pretty dry. It dried up in the sun though. I previously had it in a shaded area. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmatierMeg

I would repot it in a better draining soil mix. The stuff in your pot looks like sludge.

Pal Meir

… and in a smaller pot! Here 21 seedlings 47 days after germination in Ø6cm H6cm pots (later I repotted them into 8x8xH9cm plastic pots):

5b85b005ed5a1_Sabalseedlings2003-04-15DS