Sign in to follow this  
PalmTreeDude

Weird Worm Things In Slime on Soil

PalmTreeDude

So I looked at the top of the soil that I have my Sabal minor in and there is a weird slime. I thought it was mold or something so I put it in the sun (to hopefully kill it) and when I put it in the sun I noticed it looked like it was sparkling, like water in a lake. I looked closer and there are these tiny worm or maggot things in it. Does anyone know what these are and how to get rid of them? Are they harmful? 

20180827_124113.jpg

mdsonofthesouth

Mosquitoes? 

TexasColdHardyPalms

That soil is entirely too wet. 

PalmTreeDude
2 hours ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Mosquitoes? 

They don't look like mosquito larva, at least not the ones I have seen before. They dried up in the sun. 

47 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

That soil is entirely too wet. 

I took this picture just after I watered it (literally seconds after, there is a hole at the bottom aswell). The slime was there before when the soil was pretty dry. It dried up in the sun though. I previously had it in a shaded area. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude

PalmatierMeg

I would repot it in a better draining soil mix. The stuff in your pot looks like sludge.

Pal Meir

… and in a smaller pot! Here 21 seedlings 47 days after germination in Ø6cm H6cm pots (later I repotted them into 8x8xH9cm plastic pots):

5b85b005ed5a1_Sabalseedlings2003-04-15DS

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      By LasPalmerasDeMaryland
      Well with frosts and freezes finally in the forecast, it’s time to mulch and wrap these palms up. But before I do, a little update on their growth this year. 
    • Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I planted a couple of hundred Sabal Mexicanas about 2 years ago. All look like the one on the right, the one on the left is the exception. I've never seen Sabal that small grow above the soil.
      Has anyone seen this before?

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      My Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant has produced a crop of 250 seeds this year. For info on this beautiful NC native Sabal minor check out link below from last year:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/58162-sabal-minor-emerald-isle-giant-wseeds-any-interest/&tab=comments#comment-868587
      I am selling this year's crop as follows:
      Sabal minor Emerald Isle Giant seeds: 50 @ $10.00
      Shipping: $5.00 in padded envelope. No shipping outside the US. No shipping to HI
      Total = $15.00
      Payment via Paypal. Pm me if you are interested.
      Photos

Mother palm

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      The Sabal minor population in and around Congaree National Park, which is just Southeast of Columbia, South Carolina, look really cool. They have basically 360° fronds that stick kind of upright. Look at this observation of them that I saw on iNaturalist in their habitat. I would recommend looking around the observation map as well, you can literally see the different ecotypes around the Southeast. 
       https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10726721