Sign in to follow this  
PalmatierMeg

Phoenix species ID requested

PalmatierMeg

The little Phoenix in the photos below has struggled in the past but is now healthy and happy. Despite being 4-5 years old it is only about 24" tall and just this season developed its signature spines. I germinated it from a batch of RPS seeds labeled as Phoenix roebelenii (Mekong) and described as follows, "the wild, unhybridized form of Phoenix roebelenii has a much daintier appearance than the commonly cultivated form, with thin, heavily clustering trunks and very finely pinnate, wispy leaves."

Only two seeds germinated, one died and the survivor is the palm in the photos. It grew excrutiatingly slowly for a Phoenix but after a couple years went pinnate. I planted it in a box on my garden lot. There it went into a slow decline even though I hand watered it during dry season. I realized it would soon croak in that spot so I repotted it. It lingered for months doing nothing, then slowly began to grow again. This spring I repotted it in a 3g size pot and placed it where it got sun and irrigation. It is finally taking off and has developed its signature spines.

My question is what species is this little Phoenix? It hasn't clustered in 5 years so it's likely not a Mekong roebelenii. In all those years it has grown to only ~24" tall. So, is it a garden variety solitary roebelenii? A hybrid? Something else? Whether I keep it or not depends on the answer.

Phoenix sp for ID

5b8414f04e74e_Phoenixsp0108-27-18.thumb.5b8414fd9b2c1_Phoenixsp0208-27-18.thumb.5b84150a3d9ac_Phoenixsp0308-27-18.thumb.5b84151a746ed_Phoenixsp0408-27-18.thumb.5b841528255d0_Phoenixsp0508-27-18.thumb.5b84153ac50e2_Phoenixsp0608-27-18.thumb.

• Upvote 2

Eric in Orlando

P. roebelenii. We have several planted out from a batch of the Mekong River clustering form but none have clustered, even after 8-10 years.

• Upvote 2

PalmatierMeg
27 minutes ago, Eric in Orlando said:

P. roebelenii. We have several planted out from a batch of the Mekong River clustering form but none have clustered, even after 8-10 years.

Thanks, Eric. Does it look like a "pure" roebelenii? So many Phoenix sourced in FL are hybrids. Did your Mekong River roebelenii palms seem to grow much slower than the "human-intervention" variety?

Stevetoad

I agree, looks like pure P.roebelinii to me too

• Upvote 1

Pal Meir

Yes, it looks like a nicely grown pure Ph roebelenii, but if it will be clustering (»Mekong«) you can see only after a couple of years.

Eric in Orlando
4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Thanks, Eric. Does it look like a "pure" roebelenii? So many Phoenix sourced in FL are hybrids. Did your Mekong River roebelenii palms seem to grow much slower than the "human-intervention" variety?

So far the only difference is they have been slower growing. Appearance wise they look the same as Florida nursery trade specimens.

• Upvote 1

PalmatierMeg

Definitely slow. I'll keep the little guy/girl. I'm not the world's most enthusiastic Phoenix fan but I've developed a soft spot for this one after all its struggles to survive.

• Upvote 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      I was a bit surprised by the girth of the trunks in this group of Phoenix which appeared to be a clumping species.  Unfortunately due to foliage and the lens that I had on at the time, I could only get the trunks as opposed to the entire palms when I was close.  YOu can see in the 2nd & 3rd photos the width of the trunk compared to the Washingtonia robusta adjacent to them.  Once up above I got the first photo of the crowns which is smack dab middle of the photo, with all the robusta's adjacent again.  The palms are in the San Diego Safari Park.  Everything was looking very green including the hills across the San Pasqual Valley after this winter's abundance of rainfall.  My first guess was a Phoenix reclinata hybrid with one of the thicker trunked Phoenix, but I don't claim to be that familiar with all the Phoenix species.  That said, I am also aware of the abundance of Phoenix crosses.  I've seen so many palms that appear to be Phoenix reclinata with varying length fronds, which are not necessarily linked to the light exposure, so I have little doubt that they are willing partners in hybridization.  What think you?
      Just a side note, that the signage on plants is sorely lacking at the Safari Park ,or as we old timers knew it the "Wild Animal Park", when compared to its big sister facility, the San Diego Zoo.

• Merlyn2220
      By Merlyn2220
      At a Mercedes dealership in Sanford, FL there are some rapidly dying Sylvester palms.  The palms have been there for several years, so it's not infant mortality on freshly transplanted palms.  The google images photo from July 2018 at one entrance shows a nearly dead one on the left side, two others on that side have already died and been removed.  The one in the google maps photo is now dead.  The middle one on the right side is now nearly dead, almost all the fronds are dessicated brown:
      https://www.google.com/maps/@28.792688,-81.3418081,3a,75y,338.93h,89.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sosfzshTLPCa5r2fjntLD-w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
      At the West entrance to the dealership there are three more, and one is in the "middle stage" of dying.  I took a couple of photos yesterday, the lower fronds died over the past 2 months and the deaths started at the tips.  In the photos you can see the tips dead, and the fronds don't show signs of the 1-sided death typical of Fusarium.  In the detail photo it appears the youngest spear is dead and brown.  The second youngest is green but unusually light green, and hasn't opened.  Normally a Sylvester's spear would have started to open by the time it got to that height.
      So is this TPPD in Sanford?  I didn't see any Ganoderma conks, but I was in a hurry and didn't check out the base of each palm.

• Ilovepalm
      By Ilovepalm
      Hi! I am writing this post on behalf of my friend. It has a date palm. From 2 months on some leaves has such spots. The phoenix is generally ok. Palm is stands on the south-eastern window sill. A colleague can not give a palm pot somewhere else. I advised him to overdo it in a pot and hand-made substrate with the addition of perlite, coconut fiber and keramzite, because it now has a universal soil mixed with peat. He sprinkles the palm twice a week. I wonder what these stains are, but I suspect that this is due to poor cultivation. What do you think about it? The worms are not visible there.

• Hferrell87
      By Hferrell87
      My wife and I were walking around the resort where we are staying at in Bermuda, when we came across this Phoenix. Looks to be a hybrid (I think)... They trimmed it to only grow as one palm, but the base showed many pups that were chopped. Is this just a Reclinata or Roebelenii x Reclinata? Something else? Either way, it is a beautiful palm and likes it’s look a lot!
      Thanks for any insight on this palm identification. 

• Estlander
      By Estlander
      Saw an interesting multi trunk Phoenix today in Destin. Must be a hybrid of some kind. My guess is Phoenix Canariensis and Phoenix Roebelenii hybrid. What say you!
      It was seeding too, so took a few and will try to germinate them.