IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Turning my dream into a reality

Hferrell87

Hello all,

As a fellow palm enthusiast, I’d often day dream of owning land and designing a nursery. For the past few years, I’ve scoured multiple reality websites, searching for the perfect plot. We found one and offered full price for a little over 12 acres and the owner accepted. This property was beautiful and was once a running nursery (perfect for me!). A few days went by after putting deposit down, when the realtor called me saying that the owner got cold feet and backed out of the deal. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. Many nights I spent plotting and scheming the lay of the land and what to do with it, just for them to pull the rug from under me. 

Flash forward to now, a year and some change later.

My wife and I fianlly closed on 9.06 acres, about 4 minutes from our house. It was a blessing in disguise when the other property didn’t work out, as it was in a very rural area with little development, while the newly acquired land is in the in the middle what feels like Sim City with unlimited funds. The property is fully fenced with a 4” well, pole barn and an insulated shed. The land is majorly covered by large water oaks with a few pockets of cleared land. We recently had about 3/4 acre cleared to start planting clumping bamboo and palms (potted and in ground).

Development of the nursery is going to take some time, as my wife and I both work full time jobs. But, with the property so close to the house, I’m out there every day. 

So, here’s to the start of our dream nursery and the progress along the way. 

Enjoy...

5052F06B-0515-4EDE-9F63-A85F223B79F2.jpeg

C31EF9A4-4162-4FEF-AD56-612087730937.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 19

Awesome! Congratulations to you and your family!

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

6 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Awesome! Congratulations to you and your family!

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Hferrell87 said:

Thank you!

So nice to see!

Remember: a chainsaw can be a good friend!

RNnnnnnnnNnnnn

see my PM (private message)

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

38 minutes ago, Neil C said:

What palms are you going to focus on and all the best in your new venture. Exciting times!!

Regards Neil

Actively growing the following: (Some I have by the hundreds, others I only have a few for my collection). Some palms listed aren’t practical for my zone, but I keep in pot or cover during winter. Those are purely for my collection. 

- Beccariophoenix Alfredii

- Pseudophoenix Sargentii

- Pseudophoenix Ekmanii

- Bismarckia Nobilis

- Archontonphoenix Purpurea

- Chuniophoenix hainanensis

- Chambeyronia Macrocarpa, Hookeri & Watermelon

- Phoenix Sylvestris

- Phoenix Canariensis

- Phoenix Reclinata

- Phoenix Dactylifera

- Wodyetia Bifurcata

- Hyophorbe Indica “red form”

- Copernicia Fallaensis

- Copernicia Baileyana

- Adonidia Merrillii “Golden form”

- Dypsis sp. Orange Crush

- Dypsis leptocheilos 

- Dypsis Leptocheilos x Decaryi

- Dypsis Saint Lucie

- Dypsis Albofarinosa

- Dypsis Baronii

- Dypsis Baronii “black stem”

- Dypsis Pembana

- Dypsis Decipiens

- Areca Vesteria “red form”

- Rhapis Excelsa

There will be many more, but here’s my collection off the top of my head. Im sure I’m forgetting a few.

Edited by Hferrell87
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@Hferrell87

Awesome story and loved the SimCity reference (still one of my favorite games).  Good luck with the nursery!

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Hferrell87

Awesome story and loved the SimCity reference (still one of my favorite games).  Good luck with the nursery!

I appreciate it and you gotta love Sim City!! Just wish their was a sim city “palm/garden” version!

• Upvote 1

What exciting times ahead! Congratulations!  This is also my dream! What part of central Florida do you live Hferrell? I gave the nursery thing a shot a few years back. Did it out of my sister's 1/2 acre house. I really enjoyed it but it was really hard for me. Working full time like yourself & all, especially in summer months. Don't do what I did & water everything by hand :P install a drip system when ever you can lol. I had a green house to which I should of installed some automatic sprinkler system in there aswell. In the end I had to give it up once I got into trucking but I gave it my best shot. Lasted about 2 years but I grew & sold 2 years prior. Eventually I'll give it another shot. I learned some valuable lessons that I know will only make next time a complete success :D

Sorry to ramble, I get excited just thinking about it. I'm excited for you! I wish you the best of luck buddy! Make sure you take those before & after pics of your nursery & the progressions :D

• Upvote 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106

Exciting times ahead, many congratulations.

I have a dream of purchasing at least 5 acres and planting a Palmetum someday in South Queensland, Australia. Something similar in theme to the Palmetum at Santa Cruz, Tenerife where they've grouped species together into zones that represent regions of the world. 

The dream is still a way off though as we're currently applying for a visa to emigrate, which by no means is guaranteed. So bloody difficult to get into Australia these days!!! Wish they'd bring back the £10 POM scheme. 

Edited by Jonathan Haycock
  • Upvote 3

For those of you that frequent Facebook, I’ve set up a group called “Pommy palms”, where many of the palms I’ve seen since emigrating to Australia have been documented. If you wish to be a member, copy and paste “Pommy palms” into Facebook to view the page and click “Join group”.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to the grand opening:greenthumb:

My wife and I just finished clearing the lot that we purchased in Feb. It neighbors our home so basically doubled the property. I have pots on top of pots waiting to move in! :yay:Another central Florida palm nut ..

Also fellow 80s kids! Woo woo

Working hard, getting sht done and following dreams:greenthumb:

20180716_173018.jpg

20180706_131254.jpg

20180627_172401.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, James760 said:

What exciting times ahead! Congratulations!  This is also my dream! What part of central Florida do you live Hferrell? I gave the nursery thing a shot a few years back. Did it out of my sister's 1/2 acre house. I really enjoyed it but it was really hard for me. Working full time like yourself & all, especially in summer months. Don't do what I did & water everything by hand :P install a drip system when ever you can lol. I had a green house to which I should of installed some automatic sprinkler system in there aswell. In the end I had to give it up once I got into trucking but I gave it my best shot. Lasted about 2 years but I grew & sold 2 years prior. Eventually I'll give it another shot. I learned some valuable lessons that I know will only make next time a complete success :D

Sorry to ramble, I get excited just thinking about it. I'm excited for you! I wish you the best of luck buddy! Make sure you take those before & after pics of your nursery & the progressions :D

Thanks for the kind words and am located in DeLand, between Orlando and Daytona Beach. I’ll definitely be automating the irrigation of everything and making it as easy on myself, as possible. Hope you one day have the time and resources to give your nursery another go! 

2 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

I have a dream of purchasing at least 5 acres and planting a Palmetum someday in South Queensland, Australia. Something similar in theme to the Palmetum at Santa Cruz, Tenerife where they've grouped species together into zones that represent regions of the world. 

The dream is still a way off though as we're currently applying for a visa to emigrate, which by no means is guaranteed. So bloody difficult to get into Australia these days!!! Wish they'd bring back the £10 POM scheme. 

Thanks!! It would be very cool to have different sections of palms/plants, depending on their origin... Good luck to your dream nursery one day and even having a tiny one at the house is great start. It is very easy to get bit by the palm bug. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jupiter1 said:

Awesome! I'm looking forward to the grand opening:greenthumb:

My wife and I just finished clearing the lot that we purchased in Feb. It neighbors our home so basically doubled the property. I have pots on top of pots waiting to move in! :yay:Another central Florida palm nut ..

Also fellow 80s kids! Woo woo

Working hard, getting sht done and following dreams:greenthumb:

20180716_173018.jpg

20180706_131254.jpg

20180627_172401.jpg

Awesome!!!!! Makes me happy to see others around my age chasing the same dream. That’s perfect that the lot buds up to your residence. I’m sure you’re out there walking the land and laying out the design every day. 

By the way, I have a Tri-Bear with your name on it. It ain’t going no where...

Take care!!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jonathan Haycock said:

Didn't cost my ancestors anything to get to Australia. ......well.....seven years hard labour and transportation on a rickety ship but no money changed hands!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Hferrell87 said:

Awesome!!!!! Makes me happy to see others around my age chasing the same dream. That’s perfect that the lot buds up to your residence. I’m sure you’re out there walking the land and laying out the design every day. 

By the way, I have a Tri-Bear with your name on it. It ain’t going no where...

Take care!!

Yes!!!! Thanks a bunch:yay:

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sandgroper said:

Good luck with your new venture mate, will be great watching it all take shape!

Thank you!!

Congrats! You should be able to grow Allagoptera arenaria up there too if it's not to low/wet. I think they are hardy to around 25F? Also a bunch of the Sabals, and Livistonas would do well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Warrior Palm Princess, Satellite Beach, Florida

9 minutes ago, NatureGirl said:

Congrats! You should be able to grow Allagoptera arenaria up there too if it's not to low/wet. I think they are hardy to around 25F? Also a bunch of the Sabals, and Livistonas would do well.

Thanks and will look into those Allgopteras. 

Your stuff is what we all here are dreaming about!

I am honestly wishing you all the best for your nursery, please keep us posted!

With best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

• Upvote 2

For my landscape projects here, I've been using Bambusa textillis 'Gracillis' with very good results and also Archontophoenix alexandre.

You're not far from me - maybe we can do business one day down the road.

Congrats on your new venture. When I first got out of school in 1977, I worked as a grower in Apopka and it's been in my blood ever since. It's a LOT of work though. Much respect to you - hopefully the weather will cooperate for us at least through the next decade! :)

Edited by Bazza
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, palmfriend said:

Your stuff is what we all here are dreaming about!

I am honestly wishing you all the best for your nursery, please keep us posted!

With best regards from Okinawa -

Lars

Will definitely keep everyone posted and appreciate the kind remarks!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bazza said:

For my landscape projects here, I've been using Bambusa textillis 'Gracillis' with very good results and also Archontophoenix alexandre.

You're not far from me - maybe we can do business one day down the road.

Congrats on your new venture. When I first got out of school in 1977, I worked as a grower in Apopka and it's been in my blood ever since. It's a LOT of work though. Much respect to you - hopefully the weather will cooperate for us at least through the next decade! :)

Bambusa textillis 'Gracillis' is one of the main bamboos I’ll be propagating. Plan on having around 20-25 different species of bamboo, all clumping and ranging from small hedge bamboo to large timber bamboo. With the property being so large, I plan to do an entire border of Old Hamii. Reach out to me anytime if you want to talk more and would be open to do some trading/selling along the way. 

• Upvote 1

My best wishes to you, your wife and everyone else here following a dream. You all are the future of palm growing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Recently I visited a palm grower who was so enthusiastic I was reminded of the old saying, "It's not work if you love what you do." While I know that's not exactly true 100% of the time - there is always some drudgery involved - it's nice to be among those lucky few whose passion is also their business. I wish you great success and enjoyment!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have fun and play well!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

At the well looking towards the front of the property. The irrigation is already somewhat in place from the previous owner and will need to tap into once I mark the placement of where everything is going. 

6B7B88BB-A92E-454C-9064-103A281B6AAF.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Awesome story. My family and I have a nursery in Samsula so if you need any help or contacts we have some great suppliers we work with for all the ground mat and shade cloth etc. 

• Upvote 1

Flagged where I’ll be placing all the Bambusa Oldhamii to create a vast border along the fence for privacy, wind block and sound dampening. In two years from planting, this entire line will be dense bamboo. Once that’s planted, I’ll then start doing rows of other species for future propagation. As of now, I will continue propagating palms at the house and bring over to the property. 

04FFD63F-3AA8-4805-86EB-57EEE3DEAA80.jpeg

• Upvote 1