IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Just a few pics from around the yard today

ruskinPalms

Mystery clumping Dypsis, probably cabidae or something close, that has not ever really liked where it is planted. Little coconut doing pretty good. New Thrinax radiata, I need more fan palms… 

FB652E3D-34F5-40CA-807E-94EA6CB29E9A.jpeg

• Like 5

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Another Thrinax radiata, not doing too good; and V. arecina that I grew from seed just planted out a month ago or so. 

26CFFAB5-88C5-4B56-9B9E-B7DCC591CDF0.jpeg

• Like 4

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Southwest corner with a spindle palm, Rhapis excelsa and A. cunninghamiana and other non-palms smashed in there.  

D0DB01ED-BC0E-4719-8721-699E9534F83F.jpeg

• Like 5

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Now for some bad news, lost two of the four Adonidia I had I guess due to prolonged cool this last winter and/or disease. Two survived and are flourishing. Ripped out the bird of paradise and added three C. argentata that seem to be pretty happy there so far. The palms in pots are P. elegans that I am growing from seed. 

7E67BFF8-F733-40A1-AAC1-278897BAAC85.jpeg

BAF7FDAE-6A62-4EEA-B46F-111274E68F9F.jpeg

57D3B0C4-797A-467F-8580-4A2E0D4F2277.jpeg

• Like 5

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

More bad news, my trunking coconut took a pretty good beating this last winter too. I guess too much cool and dampness. It may ultimately be heading the same way as my two Adonidia that kicked the bucket. I dumped peroxide down the crown a couple times and the new growth has been pretty abnormal this summer. I doubt it will make it as December is approaching quickly…

D3ACAB69-3F14-4349-B203-6E66458E569A.jpeg

00020C45-E38C-4BF0-8F77-B29171FD63BF.jpeg

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Last one is one of last years new additions. A V. arecina that I had grown from seed. Seems to be doing ok given all the competition it has where it is planted. 

1AC4ECF0-E14D-4EBD-9022-42FF67FA1285.jpeg

• Like 4

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I am a bit surprised I lost some palms this last winter because I do think it went below 35F here. I guess too much coolness and unfortunately my neighbors don’t stop running even during cold periods.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Wow.  That Majesty got fat.  You must be fertilizing it with double cheeseburgers.  Everything looks great.  I love your use of the borders and the non- palm accent plants.  Everything is layering and filling in nicely.  What kind of heliconias are those little ones?  I got some for my planter box that look similar.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Looking Glass said:

Wow.  That Majesty got fat.  You must be fertilizing it with double cheeseburgers.  Everything looks great.  I love your use of the borders and the non- palm accent plants.  Everything is layering and filling in nicely.  What kind of heliconias are those little ones?  I got some for my planter box that look similar.  

Thanks! As far as fertilizing, I have been a really bad palm parent this last year and haven’t fertilized at all. They get whatever the lawn care company puts down for the st Augustine grass lol. And I have no idea what the heliconias are. Just whatever Home Depot had several years ago. Bought one pot and dig up shoots and moved them around. Maybe someone can ID them for you on here. 

DECB51ED-6F3C-4981-B016-443CCDFFD74B.jpeg

• Like 4

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

6 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

And I have no idea what the heliconias are. Just whatever Home Depot had several years ago. Bought one pot and dig up shoots and moved them around. Maybe someone can ID them for you on here. 

DECB51ED-6F3C-4981-B016-443CCDFFD74B.jpeg

@Looking Glass Looks like Heliconia "Lady Di".

Nice garden @ruskinPalms

Edited by The7thLegend
  • Upvote 1

Very nice, great share! I'm surprised you lost two adonidia and the coconut suffered as well...since everything else is clearly thriving. 

In Miami, we had prolonged cool weather as well. My coconuts had a lot of browning on their lower fronds and even some crotons on the south side of the house looked ragged after having over 10 plus AMs in the 40s. The problem was we had constant cold fronts throughout all of December and January and very little warmth during that period, even outside of the coldest days and nights.

I especially love your Dypsis in the corner, they look so elegant and healthy. Congratulations!

38 minutes ago, The7thLegend said:

@Looking Glass Looks like Heliconia "Lady Di".

Nice garden @ruskinPalms

I just put these in, after the iguanas mowed down my latest additions to the roots (choco chillies) in 2days.  It seems they won’t eat these, as they’ve lasted a week with no damage.  The flowers look similar.  I thought perhaps “Lady Di” too.   

E66D50BA-F8C6-4D7D-BA58-60EFD73F8128.jpeg

Edited by Looking Glass

Yep, definitely Lady Di.  I had that one and the generic orange psittacorum.   They both burned to the ground at 28-32F the last 2 years, but the orange ones didn't survive the first winter.  Lady Di came back both winters.  

The yard looks great!  I lost Adonidia the same way, no particular freeze but a few cold nights 2 winters ago and they just went into decline and rotted away.  I won't bother with them again.

9 hours ago, ruskinPalms said:

Now for some bad news, lost two of the four Adonidia I had I guess due to prolonged cool this last winter and/or disease. Two survived and are flourishing.

More bad news, my trunking coconut took a pretty good beating this last winter too. I guess too much cool and dampness. It may ultimately be heading the same way as my two Adonidia that kicked the bucket. I dumped peroxide down the crown a couple times and the new growth has been pretty abnormal this summer. I doubt it will make it as December is approaching quickly…

I am a bit surprised I lost some palms this last winter because I do think it went below 35F here. I guess too much coolness and unfortunately my neighbors don’t stop running even during cold periods.

I'm surprised you had this experience as well.  We have an inordinate amount of Adonidia merrillii here in town that have survived the major freezes, so I grew a few seedlings from them and tossed them in the ground as strap leafers just to see what would happen.  Even with the perpetually chilly winter, I didn't see any go into decline.  Actually, they grew the entire winter to my astonishment.  As far as coconuts went, the big surprise this winter was how well the Maypan handled the perpetual chill.  The Jamaincan Talls got their foliage nipped by frost in spots, but are overall growing well.  The temperatures here are pretty similar to what you experienced, so the difference seems to be the neighbors running the irrigation.

I really like the layout of your property.  The Ravenea rivularis is particularly robust!  Definitely a jewel in the crown there!

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, Merlyn said:

Yep, definitely Lady Di.  I had that one and the generic orange psittacorum.   They both burned to the ground at 28-32F the last 2 years, but the orange ones didn't survive the first winter.  Lady Di came back both winters.  

The yard looks great!  I lost Adonidia the same way, no particular freeze but a few cold nights 2 winters ago and they just went into decline and rotted away.  I won't bother with them again.

I honestly am not sure about what took out my adonidia.  Many have randomly gone down this year in my neighborhood even during the summer.. I’m thinking disease, probably lethal bronzing which is rampant here. I thought my coconut had the same but it seems to be actually recovering….except winter is coming so it will probably not make it through the next six months barring a miracle. 

• Like 1

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B