IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca Macrocalyx!

cobra2326

Grown in Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a). Obviously in the hoop house over the winter. So it is possible to enjoy these guys in a pot :)

vd9Ve-R3UoN83orAJ5dzBEBXIyoGD9_IHJQSM6GP

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

For awhile, sure. But a bigger pot would be better. And heavier. :rolleyes: Beautiful specimen!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Depends on how big a pot you can increment to. I have palms in pots of 650 litres that are 5 and 6 meters high and growing. As to "enjoy", do you mean that it must be large to do so? A pot WILL limit the height and girth of a tree for sure, so how  high does it need to grow to provide enjoyment? If it is a slow grower a pot can give you decades of enjoyment before having to look for an outdoor spot to transplant it to.

Richard

Gorgeous palms but soooo cold sensitive. I got a couple to that size a few years ago before they declined and died. I also lost several 1g before losing them. Reluctantly, I’m done with them.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

That's a beautiful well grown palm. One of those species you just can't have enough of. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks everyone. I started trying these almost 10 years ago and finally got a stunner. I've killed several, from general care issues (growing things in pots is challenging). I never let the temps drop below 50-55 so cold isn't really an issue. I have another that has about 3 feet of trunk but just never really developed much color. It's a beautiful palm regardless. The short petioles and large leaves with that ascending look along the crown really make it one of my favorite shaped palms.

I'm planning to pot it up into a 7gallon. It's already underpotted at this point. These palms have a robust root system and need space. 

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

On 8/24/2018, 8:31:46, PalmatierMeg said:

Gorgeous palms but soooo cold sensitive. I got a couple to that size a few years ago before they declined and died. I also lost several 1g before losing them. Reluctantly, I’m done with them.

Meg,

In your location, a small, heated hoophouse/greenhouse would allow you to grow almost anything and would only need to be heated a fraction of the winter. I've got a 7 gallon lipstick sitting by my pool right now :) 

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Thanks for the tip, Jon, but it just doesn't get cold enough, often enough here to warrant a greenhouse. I bought a 6'x6' one years ago and replaced the plastic with shade cloth because shade houses for residential home use are non-existant. In recent years I cover the top of our birdcage with commercial shade cloth we found on the internet and turned it into a 11'x31' shade house. I keep my potted tropicals on dollies I buy at Harbor Freight, then roll them indoors on rare cold nights. Even though I am only 120 miles south of you, my winters are significantly milder than yours.

BTW, I kept red and green lipsticks on dollies for years and they grew great for me - so great they hit the top of the birdcage and I had to sell them. My husband and I are getting too old to wrestle 200 lb palms indoors and out. The last palm to outgrow the birdcage was a Hydriastele dransfieldii I planted in my back yard jungle under canopy. It has survived two winters so far.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

1 hour ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Thanks for the tip, Jon, but it just doesn't get cold enough, often enough here to warrant a greenhouse. I bought a 6'x6' one years ago and replaced the plastic with shade cloth because shade houses for residential home use are non-existant. In recent years I cover the top of our birdcage with commercial shade cloth we found on the internet and turned it into a 11'x31' shade house. I keep my potted tropicals on dollies I buy at Harbor Freight, then roll them indoors on rare cold nights. Even though I am only 120 miles south of you, my winters are significantly milder than yours.

BTW, I kept red and green lipsticks on dollies for years and they grew great for me - so great they hit the top of the birdcage and I had to sell them. My husband and I are getting too old to wrestle 200 lb palms indoors and out. The last palm to outgrow the birdcage was a Hydriastele dransfieldii I planted in my back yard jungle under canopy. It has survived two winters so far.

Yes, I think I remember seeing some of your posts on here a couple of years ago. You have had some amazing specimens on your patio!

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

I have tried to grow these for years in south Florida 10a . They grow fast in summer and in the winter they either die or grow really really slow but I will tell ya they are worth the effort . The 2 in the pic are just recently put in the ground

20180817_074549.jpg

• Upvote 4

• 3 years later...