IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix roebellini pot question

Rickybobby

Hey everyone I bought this palm this year from a local nursery. Actually there are 4 in the clump. The roots were bursting out of the 3 gallon nursery pot and out of the top. So I put it in this decorative pot like all my bigger ones. Probably around 4 gallons. I wonder if maybe I should have put in something larger? It’s in a great spot drainage is great I have some fronds that yellow here and there and a ton of fresh green new spears opening. Just wonder what you guys think I tried to stay smaller cause I learned my lesson about too large of a pot and soil staying wet

4607AA79-A15B-4139-B4C6-67DCBF54682F.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

FOUR (4 !!!) stems in one pot ??? :blink:

Here two examples of pots I was using for only one Ph roebelenii per pot:

5b7f02060de49_Phoenixroebelenii2008-09-2

5b7f020c13ae8_Phoenixroebelenii2008-09-2

I know it’s crazy this is how Florida nursery’s ship palms up north. Same as my adonidias. This is why I got into germinating my own. Don’t think the next size pot would do it justice?

These palms prettt pot bound but healthy I found a couple pots today same style one size bigger and I’m sure this Palm will be happy

DC04E7A5-1548-4E81-997C-F6721E3792E4.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Ricky, I think that the importance of pot size is also dependent on other factors too. You may have been able to fix the over wet soil previously by changing the growing medium to a more freely draining one, or putting it in a clay pot of the same size or a windier or hotter position, or watering less. Lots of things need to balance to keep a potted palm happy in less than an optimum climate.  I agree with you, but not everyone would pot that up or consider it pot bound. It would depend on how much daily care that you could give it. If you give it fertilizer it won't need to have it in the soil. Think hydroponics.

I have seen pics on here of very healthy looking plants but with the pot almost solid with roots and very little 'growing medium', no soil or potting mix. Such a plant requires daily and exacting applications of water and fertilizer that varies throughout the year - apparently. I am however the last person who should be advising on potting, having divested myself of all but one last indoor pot that will end up out in the garden too, sometime. We found them to be too demanding of our time, and we go away a lot. And I nearly forgot we have one huge pot outside with a small Bismarkia in it with cheap badly draining potting mix that survives almost solely on rain and neglect. But what I can get away with here, you won't get away with there.

The point that I was trying to make was that if you change one thing you will probably also need to change something else to balance it.

Cheers Steve

It is not dead, it is just senescence.

2 hours ago, gtsteve said:

Ricky, I think that the importance of pot size is also dependent on other factors too. You may have been able to fix the over wet soil previously by changing the growing medium to a more freely draining one, or putting it in a clay pot of the same size or a windier or hotter position, or watering less. Lots of things need to balance to keep a potted palm happy in less than an optimum climate.  I agree with you, but not everyone would pot that up or consider it pot bound. It would depend on how much daily care that you could give it. If you give it fertilizer it won't need to have it in the soil. Think hydroponics.

I have seen pics on here of very healthy looking plants but with the pot almost solid with roots and very little 'growing medium', no soil or potting mix. Such a plant requires daily and exacting applications of water and fertilizer that varies throughout the year - apparently. I am however the last person who should be advising on potting, having divested myself of all but one last indoor pot that will end up out in the garden too, sometime. We found them to be too demanding of our time, and we go away a lot. And I nearly forgot we have one huge pot outside with a small Bismarkia in it with cheap badly draining potting mix that survives almost solely on rain and neglect. But what I can get away with here, you won't get away with there.

The point that I was trying to make was that if you change one thing you will probably also need to change something else to balance it.

Thanks for the info. The size larger I went was only a gallon or so. So the roots have some room now but the adding of soil was not major enough to hopefully cause issues.  The palms look fantastic and all 4 of them constantly are putting out new fronds. 

On 8/24/2018, 2:04:02, Rickybobby said:

These palms prettt pot bound but healthy I found a couple pots today same style one size bigger and I’m sure this Palm will be happy

DC04E7A5-1548-4E81-997C-F6721E3792E4.jpeg

Forget the palms, I think everyone missed out on seeing that sweet Crappy tire bucket.:lol:

• Upvote 1