IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fox Droppings

Butch

4id95NP.jpg

IFL4Eva.jpg

w4VxYQf.jpg

ekt8tel.jpg

SpFwCuS.jpg

GUzDbH8.jpg

LGozxoV.jpg

These are all volunteers that have sprung up below my foxtail.... I also have a Veitcha on the property... Just wondering if the taller plant has any Veitcha in it....It has grown much faster than any other of the volunteers, and has lottsa tomentum on it...  And are the variegated plants kinda rare?... Most of the variegated plants I see in pics, the stripes run vertical, and these run horizontal... Maybe just because they are young?... I would love for these to be Foxyladys, but even just a variegated fox would be kind of cool... What have I got?

Thanks, Butch

• Upvote 5

Not 100% on the X Foxy Lady potential of the first specimen but considering you having a Veitchia in your yard as well, it is certainly possible, which would be great, no doubt. Also notice some slight color difference in some of the bigger leaflets in the 1st picture.  

Those seedlings however, are cool as heck.. Hope they hang on to that patterning as they grow.. 

Looks like a foxy lady to me also.Here is a pic of a typical sprouted foxtail seed in my yard.MUCH wider leaflets...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

1535064667463.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Oh forgot to say, you want to ship some to NorCal? :)

Edited by enigma99

Butch,

Those seedlings are very interesting. I like them.  Very foxy looking! 

I also have a Veitchia Arecina in the ground on my property. But mine struggles out of winter, all summer.... then recovers just in time for winter again.:unsure:

I bring this up because i live in La Mirada too. You must be doing something right! :D

9 hours ago, erin said:

Butch,

Those seedlings are very interesting. I like them.  Very foxy looking! 

I also have a Veitchia Arecina in the ground on my property. But mine struggles out of winter, all summer.... then recovers just in time for winter again.:unsure:

I bring this up because i live in La Mirada too. You must be doing something right! :D

Erin... Just luck on my part... For a lot of years, my wife would ask  me why I didn't get rid of that "Raggedy A$$ed Palm".... But it finally out grew it's "Torturous Teens". ;) .... It has been putting out a lot of seed over the last few years... This summers heat has taken a toll on it, but I think it'll be fine... The tree is in a raised planter, just a couple of feet from my pool, and I think, the good soil (Planers mix from Whittier Fertilizer) and the temperature mellowing from the pool water help a lot..

ktxzFoJ.jpg

gTRV2T3.jpg

Butch

• Upvote 1

Erin... Jackie/Rene... I just went back and looked at pics of your garden, on an old post.... Wow!!!... Really, really nice... I have but a few so-so palms, but your's are beautiful...

Butch

Butch,

Thanks for the kind words. Your palms look great to me. I have to ask... I drive by a house everyday on my way home from work that has a very cool hyophorbe lagenicaulis  in a pot near the porch. I literally admire it everyday.  Is that you? Just in case I wanted you to know I love that bottle.Rene actually stopped once and met the homeowner and told him how she loved it too! :)

• Upvote 1

Yea... I think that is me... A very kind young lady did stop and mention the lagenicaulis, a little while back... She was very gracious... I do not take the care to keep my stuff as nice as you... Your place is gorgeous!.... I wish I had more room to plant.... So many cool palms...So little space... Buy the way, I have mentioned in another post about looking for a palm to go beside that bottle, in the same size pot... Thinkin' dypsis of some sort (doesn't have to be)... Any suggestions?

Butch

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting more of these little variegated seedlings popping up.... I was wondering if something I did caused it... Back in spring, I added about 6-12"s more planters mix over the top of a bunch of seeds and seedlings (I removed 5 feet of dirt and filled the planter with planters mix 15-20 years ago, to get rid of the adobe, and the mix has decomposed)... Could these seedlings pushing up thru the added soil cause the variegation?... You know, sunlight, then dark, then sunlight again?... Just trying to get an idea why this is happening, when you all say that, the horizontal variegation is uncommon....

Butch

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some more pics of the newly popped up variegated seedlings.... I believe these are all different seedlings from the last pictures...

WdWKEia.jpg

PZD99sL.jpg

OBctJvp.jpg

OBctJvp.jpg

urKOG3B.jpg

Butch

• Upvote 1