IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dumbest things you've heard about palms

NC_Palms

What is the absolute most dumbest thing you have heard either online or in person about palms?

For me, I have found a few website articles stating that Palmettos (sabals, sereona, rhapidophyllum, etc) were not true palms. The BHI Conservancy also said on their website's sabal palmetto factsheet that sabal palmettos aren't true palms because they don't produce coconuts. LIKE WHAT!? HAHAHAHAH

• Upvote 2

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

It's funny that you ask this, I literally just heard someone while eating out say that only Sabal palmetto (what I heard him say was tall sabal palms, so I am assuming he ment Sabal palmetto, this was while we were waiting to be seated) are native to Florida. This is while I'm at West Palm Beach. 

Edited by PalmTreeDude
  • Upvote 3

PalmTreeDude

I once mentioned to a very famous youtuber  (palm genre) that I was growing coconuts 6 miles south of the San Diego border. He replied : "Oh! You can grow anything down in Mexico."

And because of that I usually say I am in SoCal... not Puerto Vallarta.....

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

“Palms are desert plants are don’t need to be watered.”

”I have too many palms”. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

‘all palms look the same’

and also every instagram that reposts the same nauseating “sunset + coconuts/washingtonia” trope over and over to reinforce this idea, especially the ones that just want followers so they can start selling you lame t-shirts... but i digress

Edited by knell
  • Upvote 4

In the aftermath of the Corona Coconut, the many pueril and uninformed Foghorn-type "I declare!" statements from certain folks who have armchair pontificated the ad nauseum rhetoric: "Cocos cannot grow in California" have ceased. Thank God. 

ETA: At the very least, they have taken a step back. 

Edited by GottmitAlex
Above all: Common sense prudence.
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Palms aren't real trees.

What they should really be saying is palms are monocotyledons not dicotyledons but trees they are if they are arborescent.

• Upvote 3

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

"Palms are People. too"

"No Palm collusion"

"No palms have been killed by this message"

and finally:

"You can have too many palms"

• Upvote 2

"All palms come from the tropics"

When I first visited (Orlando) FL in 1985 I rode a hospitality bus to our hotel outside the Rat's House (Disney World). I noticed all the shrubby saw palmettos along our route. I said to the bus driver, "Are those palms?". He snapped back, "Nah, just scrubby weeds. People should rip them out and burn them." Thirty plus years later, municipalities value them as native palms and plant them in parks and medians.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Someone I know came to visit and this is what the knucklehead told me:

"I don't like South Florida...You guys have way too many palms here...You need to start planting real trees, like those we have in Virginia"

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, paquicuba said:

"I don't like South Florida...You guys have way too many palms here...You need to start planting real trees, like those we have in Virginia"

"Oh, we've got plenty of those.  They are planted at the crocodile petting zoo out in the Everglades." ;)

• Upvote 4

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Once on a guided tour of the Huntington bontaical gardens the tour guide said that washingtonia robusta where native to CA and washingtonia filifera where not. I kid you not! After some discussion, She finally agrees she may have been wrong. LOL. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

In the aftermath of the Corona Coconut, the many pueril and uninformed Foghorn-type "I declare!" statements from certain folks who have armchair pontificated the ad nauseum rhetoric: "Cocos cannot grow in California" have ceased. Thank God. 

I would not be calling folks 'pueril' unless you said it to their face. Easy to hide behind a keyboard.

Edited by Gonzer

2 hours ago, Gonzer said:

I would not be calling folks 'pueril' unless you said it to their face. Easy to hide behind a keyboard.

I hope you caught this threads title.

Employing the words uninformed and pueril are not the same as "dumbest". However, I hope I have not offended you or anyone else for that matter. Nor will I be offended because folks get offended. Too much PC today in age.

-Sigh-

Gentlemen, please!  It is 'puerile',  ..juvenile, childish, or silly.   Spelling counts !!!!     :mrlooney: 

• Upvote 4

San Francisco, California

When I moved to Florida, several people advised against planting any palm trees saying they all attract roaches. They said their properties are palmless for that reason.

Um, its Florida. There are roaches everywhere regardless of palms. 

• Upvote 5

10 hours ago, pj_orlando_z9b said:

When I moved to Florida, several people advised against planting any palm trees saying they all attract roaches. They said their properties are palmless for that reason.

Um, its Florida. There are roaches everywhere regardless of palms. 

I heard this same drivel, but the cleanest places I stayed were completely decked out with all kinds of palms.  That was one of those comments where I just smiled, maintained eye contact, and said, "Wow, I didn't know that.  Thank you for sharing!" :) 

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

A neighbor once told me that, “In nature, palm trees only grow on the beach.” What????!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

"PALMS ARE SO UGLY"

Idiot. 

• Upvote 5

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

On 8/23/2018, 11:34:27, paquicuba said:

I love South Florida. I would move there in a heartbeat!

4 hours ago, Surfrider14 said:

A neighbor once told me that, “In nature, palm trees only grow on the beach.” What????!!!! 

My biology teacher said this to me once lmao

• Upvote 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

Nearly all the trees that grow “up north” can’t grow in SFL. Our winters aren’t cold enough.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Palms attract rats

• Upvote 2

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Somehow I haven't heard any comments as described above from people around me: but probably the closest thing is all the people in Northwest FL that would persistently plant pygmy date palms, spindle palms, queens, and other such tender things that would inevitably get nuked in winter by temps in the upper teens/low 20's. This was most evident near the beaches where people seem to think that it is some kind of tropical island- reality check is the climate of Northwest FL is closer to that of Birmingham, Alabama than Tampa or Orlando FL and our temps are simply brutal for most palms (one time I made a rough calculation of the total number of palm species that could survive in zone 8b NW FL and it was something like 3%)

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, NC_Palms said:

I love South Florida. I would move there in a heartbeat!

My biology teacher said this to me once lmao

Wow, really bad biology teacher then. :blink:

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, palmislandRandy said:

Palms attract rats

I have actually witnessed rats climbing and eating the fruit on a Canary Island Date Palm here in Socal. Not something that happens often. In my experience Italian Cypress attracts them more. 

For me the worse thing I have been told is overtrimming is actually good for palms. I have argued with people about this. Especially so called professional tree trimmers. Hard to find tree trimmers around here that know the truth. Also some of them over trim so they can charge more for labor and hauling. 

• Upvote 8

On 8/25/2018, 9:41:06, Cikas said:

Wow, really bad biology teacher then. :blink:

It was a horrible teacher. Easy A though lol

• Upvote 1

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018‎ ‎12‎:‎58‎:‎13‎, GottmitAlex said:

:blink:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

On 26/08/2018, 1:13:54, Chris Chance said:

I have actually witnessed rats climbing and eating the fruit on a Canary Island Date Palm here in Socal. Not something that happens often. In my experience Italian Cypress attracts them more. 

For me the worse thing I have been told is overtrimming is actually good for palms. I have argued with people about this. Especially so called professional tree trimmers. Hard to find tree trimmers around here that know the truth. Also some of them over trim so they can charge more for labor and hauling. 

About palms attracting rats, if you have rats, virtually any fruit tree will attract rats if they are hungry. My mandarine tree sometimes has eaten out husks of mandarines on it. Solution, rat poison, or a hungry boa constrictor. 

Dont blame the palms Man!!!!!!!!

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

14 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

About palms attracting rats, if you have rats, virtually any fruit tree will attract rats if they are hungry. My mandarine tree sometimes has eaten out husks of mandarines on it. Solution, rat poison, or a hungry boa constrictor. 

Dont blame the palms Man!!!!!!!!

No blame on the palms themselves. Like you said any fruit will attract them. I don't have any rats around my place probably because so many cats are in the neighborhood. I think king snakes around here could help out as well haha. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Just to add, kind of like PalmatierMeg's post, some of my friends when I was down in Hilton Head Island, S.C. refused to believe the Saw Palmetto and Sabal minor where palms, they thought they had to have tall trunks. 

PalmTreeDude

On 8/28/2018, 6:36:49, Tyrone said:

Solution, rat poison, or a hungry boa constrictor. 

Rat poison outdoors is a risky idea. It can kill non-target animals.

Edited by Manalto
clarity
  • Upvote 1

1.Green Bisimarkias are less cold hardy than silver and blues --------- the only one that survived all my freezes since 1995 was a green B. nobilus 

2. Acrocomia totai -----  are super cold hardy ,   A. aculeata are not.----I collected A. aculeata from PR, Mexico --- A . totai from habitat in Brasil 

All 3 survived the cold here equally---- A. totai succumbed to a disease in the spring. 

3.   Palms attract rats ----but they also attract Hawks Owls cats and other predators that will balance it out----plus they attract Monk Parrots and other shell eating birds 

• Upvote 1

Just want to add for those new to the forum -- there is no such thing as a dumb question.  Dumb pronouncements, yes, maybe, but not dumb questions! Please feel free to ask here, we welcome new people who want to learn.

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

11 minutes ago, Kim said:

Just want to add for those new to the forum -- there is no such thing as a dumb question.  Dumb pronouncements, yes, maybe, but not dumb questions! Please feel free to ask here, we welcome new people who want to learn.

Hear, hear!