IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dumbest things you've heard about palms

NC_Palms

I was in the Kona Costco once and one of the sample ladys was handing out Acai berry smoothies. I said, "Oh, cool, we have one of these on the other side of the island" and that lady was QUICK to tune me up, insisting that the berries come from a special tree that you can ONLY grow in Brazil. I tried to explain but she would have none of it; that was her story and she was sticking to it.

• Upvote 1

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

On 8/25/2018, 1:13:54, Chris Chance said:

I have actually witnessed rats climbing and eating the fruit on a Canary Island Date Palm here in Socal. Not something that happens often. In my experience Italian Cypress attracts them more. 

For me the worse thing I have been told is overtrimming is actually good for palms. I have argued with people about this. Especially so called professional tree trimmers. Hard to find tree trimmers around here that know the truth. Also some of them over trim so they can charge more for labor and hauling. 

Well, there ya go! Don't believe everything you read on the internet.:rolleyes:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

19 hours ago, edbrown_III said:

John, in  Andalucia --------he would be talking to this fellow 

Owl1.jpg

That feathery predator looks like he wants the film out of your camera! :lol:

• 11 months later...

“Those thing are so weird. How can do much tree be supported by like five leaves?” :rolleyes:

“Palm trees aren’t really trees, they’re a grass”.

Palms certainly are a bit more closely related to grasses than they are to traditional woody trees, but they aren’t grasses, nor do they belong to any sort of grass family.

• Upvote 1

I guess this is an easy mistake for someone who doesn't know much about plants, but people always ask about my Musa basjoo in my yard:

"You can grow palm trees here?"

"Awesome palm trees!"

And I just politely nod and say through gritted teeth to myself "...they're not palms ffs..."

• Like 1

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” –Frank Lloyd Wright

'Never buy a palm that isn't self-cleaning."  (I suppose this is a matter of preference...but it eliminates at least half of my options!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Merlyn2220 said:

'Never buy a palm that isn't self-cleaning."  (I suppose this is a matter of preference...but it eliminates at least half of my options!)

Tell me about it. That piggybacks along the lines: "You cannot grow Cocos Nucifera in California".

For the deniers, this is a Parajubaea "affix your specie here". 

And yes, bats, mice and cockroaches make their havens inside the dead skirts of washingtonias (That's a fact in Cali). Nasty. 

20191015_185117.jpg

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

I know a lot of people who think plants like Trunked Yucca and Dracena are palms while assuming plants like Sabal Minor and Needle palm aren't palms but regular bushes.

The dumbest thing I have ever seen was at the place I got my 25$ date palm.

while this is on sale for 25$

1084758722_ScreenShot2019-10-15at11_21_40PM.png.783bc9d6b714b2d4e9d381f29e00f336.png

They wanted 269.99 for this Washy

1325589684_ScreenShot2019-10-15at11_22_23PM.png.ae7c8a23d262eb61752a54024d23e0a5.png

what?

• Like 4

That palms "cannot grow in England".

(My Deutschland ancesters are probably rolling in their graves by me pointing this out).

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 8/22/2018 at 10:20 PM, PalmTreeDude said:

It's funny that you ask this, I literally just heard someone while eating out say that only Sabal palmetto (what I heard him say was tall sabal palms, so I am assuming he ment Sabal palmetto, this was while we were waiting to be seated) are native to Florida. This is while I'm at West Palm Beach. 

Maybe I miss reading what you wrote. But the Sabal palm aka cabbage palm, aka sabal palmetto is native to FL also is the Florida State tree correct?

54 minutes ago, ErikSJI said:

Maybe I miss reading what you wrote. But the Sabal palm aka cabbage palm, aka sabal palmetto is native to FL also is the Florida State tree correct?

I think he meant that he was told that *only* sabal palmetto was a native FL palm.  That's definitely not true!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 2:54 PM, ErikSJI said:

Yes, the person who said this thought that it was the only native palm to Florida. 

PalmTreeDude

I was afraid to buy seeds of Dypsis decipiens, "a very difficult palm to grow" that needs very special growing conditions.... FACT was it is the easiest palm for me. Slow but never had any problem.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

On 10/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, Kim said:

Just want to add for those new to the forum -- there is no such thing as a dumb question.  Dumb pronouncements, yes, maybe, but not dumb questions! Please feel free to ask here, we welcome new people who want to learn.

Or, to quote Mr. Garrison, “There are no dumb questions. Only dumb people.”

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

6 hours ago, AZPalms said:

Palm trees attract scorpions. :rolleyes:

According to my wife palm trees attract halfwits which is very cruel, this is why I don't like her!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, jimmyt said:

I always knew I was a halfwit! :bummed:

That’s not a bad price, though. I may go pick them up and give a little educational lecture :interesting:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ryagra said:

EFD7CB00-CAB6-4177-854B-90855A2A7AF6.thumb.jpeg.6761ed76d39c0ecba9444c0534f411f3.jpeg

Wow, didn't know there was a new species of Queen.. Is this the legendary Syagrus  Bee'Ess'enphoolingiifolia?? :mrlooney: I heard ( from a reliable source, of course..) they grow near the Arctic Circle, where Unicorns roam.. :floor:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Wow, didn't know there was a new species of Queen.. Is this the legendary Syagrus  Bee'Ess'enphoolingiifolia?? :mrlooney: I heard ( from a reliable source, of course..) they grow near the Arctic Circle, where Unicorns roam.. :floor:

Amazing, huh?! These new Arctic Queens are a true diamond. Skinny like a Trachy, and completely cold hardy to zone 8. :greenthumb:

• Like 2

I will post some infuriating quotes I found and follow up with my own reply:

"it's nearly impossible to grow them". 

-Most palms are easy to grow.

"I understand that even in Columbia (SC), the palmetto trees need to be babied." 

-Sabal palmettos grow like weeds in Columbia, not to mention many others.

"the cost for a palmetto tree is exorbitant. I can't find any price examples, but I want to say that most people pay $20,000 for a mature tree."

-???????? There's a reason you cannot find any price examples. 

"Palm trees aren't suitable for the Upcountry of SC. They are a Lowcountry and possibly Midlands tree. It's all about the soil, climate, etc., and palm and palmetto trees are not made for the Upstate. Aside from that, they don't "fit in" with the surroundings there. Personally, I think they look out of place in the beautiful Upstate scenery, and I would prefer that they stay along the coast. The fact that you never see them in the Upstate should tell you something. smile.gif"

Sabal palmettos are actually temperate. Sabal minor is actually native to Greenwood county SC...very far inland. 

??????

• Like 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.