kinzyjr

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society + First Coast Palm Society - Fall Field Trip & Meeting - Sat. 10/13/2018

kinzyjr

YOU’RE INVITED!!!

Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society
& The First Coast Palm Society

Fall Field Trip & Meeting

Saturday, October 13, 2018

11:00am – 3:00pm

Private Garden of John Rossi
8310 CR 13 South, Hastings, FL

First Coast will be providing Sonny's BBQ & Central Florida will provide a Low-Country Seafood Boil

About the garden:  At John Rossi's home and spectacular garden you will find over 100 species of palms, several types of cycads, many varieties of Agaves, Cacti, Yuccas and other desert plants!

Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to First Coast President David Casella so we have a good food count. 

David Casella: wxalert272@gmail.com or (904) 333-6106.

What you need to bring to the meeting:

1. A plant for the auction (does not have to be a palm, palm-companions are good too!

2. Beverages or dessert

3. A chair for your own personal enjoyment!

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

@kinzyjr Did you get the goodies yet??

kinzyjr

For those who love cycads, don't miss the auction.  Party favors donated by Tex.

20180919_191058_Cycads_800.jpg

• Upvote 2

tank

I’ll be there.  Excited about it.

• Upvote 2

kinzyjr

Hard to believe it is almost here!

• Upvote 1

tank

Is the address listed in the original post correct?  Google Maps puts me at the intersection of SR 207 and CR 13 S?

tank

Could this be the right address?

8310 Co Rd 13, Hastings, FL 32145

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Hurricane Michael, stay away!

5bbcef14afbcb_manincane.jpg.ffdf3e4c8d1b

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
Cindy Adair

Sounds like fun. Best to all!

I got to attend an informative South Florida Palm Society meeting last week at Fairchild Tropical Garden and then the excellent Palm Beach club’s sale at Mounts Botanical Garden last Saturday too. 

Yes, we need a palm society in Puerto Rico!

• Upvote 1

edbrown_III
23 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Sounds like fun. Best to all!

I got to attend an informative South Florida Palm Society meeting last week at Fairchild Tropical Garden and then the excellent Palm Beach club’s sale at Mounts Botanical Garden last Saturday too. 

Yes, we need a palm society in Puerto Rico!

alot to see in PR comig backsoon ----Mike Dahme is there in Barranquitas ------- perhaps you can get his sorry asss in gear ------ he was quite a force in the CFLPS ----

Cindy Adair

I had the pleasure of a tour of Mike Dahme's amazing collection pre hurricane Maria.

Rain cut my time short as driving in Barranquitas requires care even in dry daylight conditions. 

I am looking forward to planting out all the seedlings and seeds he gave me, with plenty left to share with other palm lovers on the island plus a return visit.

And it would be great to have Mike help with a club here.

Steve the palmreader
kinzyjr
20 minutes ago, Steve the palmreader said:

I plan on going but a map would help

Assuming you are coming from Bokeelia and that the location is accurate:

Take I-75 N to I-4 East to I-95 N, or any other route to I-95 N you so choose. 

On I-95 N, take exit 298 and turn left at the end of the exit ramp to get onto US-1 South.

After passing under the interstate, turn right after the Sunoco to get on County Road 204 West.

Go straight through the intersection with Old Brick Road to continue onto County Road 13.

Continue on County Road 13 and the location will be on the right. 

If you see the Mt. Olive Baptist Church on your right, you went too far.

I attached a map for your reference below.

201810102010_HastingsMap.png

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
On 10/9/2018, 1:17:22, tank said:

Is the address listed in the original post correct?  Google Maps puts me at the intersection of SR 207 and CR 13 S?

On 10/9/2018, 1:20:51, tank said:

Could this be the right address?

8310 Co Rd 13, Hastings, FL 32145

I can confirm the property at 8310 Co Rd 13, Hastings, FL 32145 belongs to John Rossi.  If you were having the same experience as @tank above when Googling/MapQuesting/GPSing the address as given in the initial post, copy the one in bold and paste it into Google and you should get the correct directions.  The map I posted above for @Steve the palmreader shows an accurate route to this location.  Sorry for any confusion.

201810081720_CFPACS_last_call.jpg

TexasColdHardyPalms

Well, how did everything turn out??

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
12 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Well, how did everything turn out??

A good question deserves a good answer ;)  I decided to stay the weekend so I just got back.  Let's just say that you were one of the stars of the show without even being physically present.  The auction was great and the cycad fans were noticeably impressed by the goodies you sent.  For me personally, this was the most fun meetup/field trip I've been to, so a special thanks from me in addition to the standard "on behalf of the organization(s) and host" thank you.  To list every single person who said thank you would take all afternoon.  A very successful meet-up in all respects.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      A few photos of the crew admiring Tahina spectabilis:

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      This will be a 3 day field trip.  Members can feel free to attend any or all of the days.  More information available here:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/65030-central-florida-palm-cycad-society-fall-meeting-fri-10022020-to-sun-10042020/
      If you are not a member, but would like to become one - or if you were previously a member and would like to renew: http://cfpacs.com/org/membership-info/
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      If you are a CFPACS Member or former member, you should have received an email regarding the itinerary for the fall meeting.  If you are not a past or present member, but are interested in joining and/or attending, please PM me at your earliest convenience.  CFPACS was able to get a block of rooms reserved at a special group rate in the Miami area for our attendees.  The details of how to lock in the group rate are included in the email sent earlier, but you will need to reserve a room by Monday, August 31st, 2020.  The tentative itinerary is shared below:
      Tentative Itinerary

Date

Time

Description

Friday, October 2nd, 2020

10:00AM
      to
      4:00PM

Nursery and Plant Sale Visits (starting at Searle ~10am)
      Some members are going down early Friday to check out some of the South Florida nurseries.  These are some of the South Florida nurseries that members have suggested they wanted to visit.
      Fall Searle Sale: 6640 SW 172nd Ave., Southwest Ranches, FL 33331
      Richard Lyons’ Nursery: 20200 SW 134th Ave, Miami, FL 33177
      Redlands Nursery: 18455 SW 264th St, Homestead, FL 33031
      Action Theory Landscaping and Nursery: 22401 SW 130th Ave,Miami, FL 33170
      Saturday, October 3rd, 2020

10:00am
      Montgomery Botanical Center: 11901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, FL 33156
      Attendees will be split in groups of 10 for tours of this wonderful 120-acre botanical garden.  Please bring a brown bag lunch and either a chair or blanket to sit on while you are eating.

Sunday, October 4th, 2020

12:00 Noon
      Private Garden Cookout: TBA, Hollywood, FL
      Attendees enjoy a hamburgers and hot dogs style cookout on a property large enough to allow plenty of social distance per CDC guidelines.  Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on while you are eating.  The garden contains plenty of mature palm specimens and a large pond, including several Tahina spectabilis.  There will be a garden tour and a palm raffle at this event.  Please bring long clothes and/or mosquito repellent.
      Optional

?
      Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens: 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, FL 33156
      Some members have expressed an interest in attending this wonderful 83-acre garden.  To our knowledge, they are not accepting reciprocal passes at the moment and are offering two 3-hour tours per day (10am and 1pm).  This can be done on your own if you wish as it is not formally scheduled.

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      SUMMER MEETING At our last meeting, it was announced that we would meet at Leu Gardens on or around June 13, 2020.  Unfortunately, due to health and safety concerns and Orlando cancelling all indoor meetings through June, we will not be holding an official meeting.  A group of members who have reciprocal memberships to Leu Gardens will go that morning to walk the gardens while respecting the social distancing guidelines.  Others are welcome to do the same should they deem it safe to do so.   QUARTERLY NEWSLETTER The Palmateer will still be published and those who wish to submit an article, photograph or other content are encouraged to email their content to palmateer@cfpacs.com by June 15th.  If you write an article with pictures, it is requested to also attach the original images as the images embedded in document files do not always resize properly.  For those looking for back issues to read during quarantine, they are posted here: http://cfpacs.com/org/palmateer/   While you are at the site, you should notice that it has a new look that is much improved.   SEED BANK The seed bank portion of the site is scheduled for a long overdue update to reflect our current inventory.  Those with seeds to donate should contact our seed bank coordinator at: Theseedbank@yahoo.com   LOOKING FORWARD The plan for the year was to have the Fall Meeting at Montgomery Botanical Gardens and the Holiday meeting somewhere on the east coast.  With the current situation being what it is, it's really a guess as to whether those plans will be altered, amended or cancelled as we move forward through tenuous times.  Notification will be through email if you are on our mailing list and will be posted on PalmTalk.   Stay safe everyone!
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Some photos from the CFPACS visit to Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.
      Ficus altissima

Licuala spinosa

Rhapidophyllum hystrix

Acoelorrhaphe wrightii

Satakentia liukiuensis

Thrinax radiata

Coccothrinax barbadensis

Howea forsteriana (1)

Howea forsteriana (2)

Sabal yapa

Coccothrinax crinita

Coccothrinax argentata