kinzyjr

Central Florida Palm & Cycad Society + First Coast Palm Society - Fall Field Trip & Meeting - Sat. 10/13/2018

kinzyjr

YOU’RE INVITED!!!

Central Florida Palm and Cycad Society
& The First Coast Palm Society

Fall Field Trip & Meeting

Saturday, October 13, 2018

11:00am – 3:00pm

Private Garden of John Rossi
8310 CR 13 South, Hastings, FL

First Coast will be providing Sonny's BBQ & Central Florida will provide a Low-Country Seafood Boil

About the garden:  At John Rossi's home and spectacular garden you will find over 100 species of palms, several types of cycads, many varieties of Agaves, Cacti, Yuccas and other desert plants!

Please R.S.V.P. by the Monday before the meeting to First Coast President David Casella so we have a good food count. 

David Casella: wxalert272@gmail.com or (904) 333-6106.

What you need to bring to the meeting:

1. A plant for the auction (does not have to be a palm, palm-companions are good too!

2. Beverages or dessert

3. A chair for your own personal enjoyment!

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

@kinzyjr Did you get the goodies yet??

kinzyjr

For those who love cycads, don't miss the auction.  Party favors donated by Tex.

20180919_191058_Cycads_800.jpg

• Upvote 2

tank

I’ll be there.  Excited about it.

• Upvote 2

kinzyjr

Hard to believe it is almost here!

• Upvote 1

tank

Is the address listed in the original post correct?  Google Maps puts me at the intersection of SR 207 and CR 13 S?

tank

Could this be the right address?

8310 Co Rd 13, Hastings, FL 32145

• Upvote 1

DoomsDave

Hurricane Michael, stay away!

5bbcef14afbcb_manincane.jpg.ffdf3e4c8d1b

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
Cindy Adair

Sounds like fun. Best to all!

I got to attend an informative South Florida Palm Society meeting last week at Fairchild Tropical Garden and then the excellent Palm Beach club’s sale at Mounts Botanical Garden last Saturday too. 

Yes, we need a palm society in Puerto Rico!

• Upvote 1

edbrown_III
23 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

Sounds like fun. Best to all!

I got to attend an informative South Florida Palm Society meeting last week at Fairchild Tropical Garden and then the excellent Palm Beach club’s sale at Mounts Botanical Garden last Saturday too. 

Yes, we need a palm society in Puerto Rico!

alot to see in PR comig backsoon ----Mike Dahme is there in Barranquitas ------- perhaps you can get his sorry asss in gear ------ he was quite a force in the CFLPS ----

Cindy Adair

I had the pleasure of a tour of Mike Dahme's amazing collection pre hurricane Maria.

Rain cut my time short as driving in Barranquitas requires care even in dry daylight conditions. 

I am looking forward to planting out all the seedlings and seeds he gave me, with plenty left to share with other palm lovers on the island plus a return visit.

And it would be great to have Mike help with a club here.

Steve the palmreader
kinzyjr
20 minutes ago, Steve the palmreader said:

I plan on going but a map would help

Assuming you are coming from Bokeelia and that the location is accurate:

Take I-75 N to I-4 East to I-95 N, or any other route to I-95 N you so choose. 

On I-95 N, take exit 298 and turn left at the end of the exit ramp to get onto US-1 South.

After passing under the interstate, turn right after the Sunoco to get on County Road 204 West.

Go straight through the intersection with Old Brick Road to continue onto County Road 13.

Continue on County Road 13 and the location will be on the right. 

If you see the Mt. Olive Baptist Church on your right, you went too far.

I attached a map for your reference below.

201810102010_HastingsMap.png

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
On 10/9/2018, 1:17:22, tank said:

Is the address listed in the original post correct?  Google Maps puts me at the intersection of SR 207 and CR 13 S?

On 10/9/2018, 1:20:51, tank said:

Could this be the right address?

8310 Co Rd 13, Hastings, FL 32145

I can confirm the property at 8310 Co Rd 13, Hastings, FL 32145 belongs to John Rossi.  If you were having the same experience as @tank above when Googling/MapQuesting/GPSing the address as given in the initial post, copy the one in bold and paste it into Google and you should get the correct directions.  The map I posted above for @Steve the palmreader shows an accurate route to this location.  Sorry for any confusion.

201810081720_CFPACS_last_call.jpg

TexasColdHardyPalms

Well, how did everything turn out??

• Upvote 1

kinzyjr
12 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

Well, how did everything turn out??

A good question deserves a good answer ;)  I decided to stay the weekend so I just got back.  Let's just say that you were one of the stars of the show without even being physically present.  The auction was great and the cycad fans were noticeably impressed by the goodies you sent.  For me personally, this was the most fun meetup/field trip I've been to, so a special thanks from me in addition to the standard "on behalf of the organization(s) and host" thank you.  To list every single person who said thank you would take all afternoon.  A very successful meet-up in all respects.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      The CFPACS 2019 fall meeting and field trip took us to three locations in Southwest Florida.  The first stop was Naples Botanical Gardens.  The rainy weather from Nestor didn't stop those of us in attendance from having a great experience.  Plenty of umbrellas and rain gear were present as well as members from as far away as Jacksonville.
      Upon entering, you're greeted by a few Florida natives:

Progressing further up the sidewalk gets you to this mixed planting:

There were plenty of Thrinax radiata around dropping their white fruit.  A very positive sign for one of our native palms.

A few Copernicia baileyana in the median against a background of Roystonea regia.

The entrance to the Visitor Center with more Thrinax radiata standing guard.

A rock garden inside the entrance:

The next two photos show the types of gardens and plants present in the gardens.  Gardens with Latitude!

You have this view after entering the metal building:

No jungle is complete without a torrential downpour:

Cannonballs!

Water features add calm to the garden:

Greeted by silk floss on the way to the cafe:

Circle of Friends - perfect for our meeting:

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Overview
      The PalmTalk forums contain thousands of observations on the cold tolerance from a variety of locations and climates.  One of the primary difficulties in determining cold hardiness of a particular species or variety of palm is that observations vary greatly, even at the same temperature in the same location.  Therefore, hardiness can be more accurately expressed as a probability rather than in absolutes.  
      The goal of the attached list is to more accurately calculate the probability and degree of damage one could expect from a freeze on a particular species or variety of palm by consolidating the available data into one document.  This list is provided without any warranty or guarantee, expressed or implied.
      Several factors can influence the effect of a low temperature on a palm.  These include:
      Ultimate low temperature Duration of the freeze – time below 28F, time below 32F, number of days with low temperatures Weather before freeze – was it warm and sunny with plants in active growth or were the palms given time to harden off by a slower onset of below average temperatures? Advective vs. Radiational freeze? – Advective freezes are usually more damaging due to wind chill and less stratification. Overhead canopy/protective siting – Was the plant out in the open or under cover?  Are there structures or plants being used as windbreaks?  Canopy typically mitigates frost formation during a radiational freeze and windbreaks lessen the windchill effect during an advective freeze. Frost – did frost form? Wet vs. Dry – did the freeze come with wet/damp soils from a preceding rain storm or was the ground dry? Size and overall health of the plant – A healthy, mature palm is usually more likely to survive than a palm that was juvenile or unhealthy. Another consideration is how long a grower waited after the freeze to report damage.  Sometimes damage will manifest itself weeks or months after the actual freeze.  If a report comes too soon after the freeze, then the report could change.
      When possible, the list is an attempt to consolidate observations into an easily searchable list that captures as many of the factors influencing damage and survival.  Because new observations are constantly being added, this list is a perpetual work in progress.
      Credits
      The following resources were and are being used to build this list:
      http://www.trebrown.com/palms_arecaceae.php - Used to build the initial list of palms since it is fairly complete and up to date.  Observations added to the list were checked against this list.  If the check failed, it was either because the name given is a synonym or another name needed to be added to the list. http://www.theplantlist.org – Used to check for synonyms of the palm species and varieties in the Trebrown list when no match could be found.  www.palmpedia.net – Invaluable as a tool to check for synonyms and species potentially not listed by the Trebrown list.  http://www.cfpacs.org/freezes-central-florida/ - The freeze observations at this site were added to this list and are also posted in the PalmTalk forums in the Freeze Damage Data section at the following URL: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/40159-aaa-florida-general-palm-hardiness-data/ https://www.bg-map.com/noblick.html - The two tables available here were merged and duplicates were removed before expanding the list giving each observation its own row in the table.  When the name of the palm in this list could be identified as a synonym, the name in this list was preserved in the Description field in brackets [].  There is a full list of citations at this page that includes several active forum participants. https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/ - Some of the hardiness observations throughout the forum have been loaded into this list.  This portion will always be a work in progress. 201909190030_HardinessObservationsMasterData.xlsx
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Please save the dates of October 19th and 20th for the Fall Meeting and plan on it taking place in the Naples/Ft. Myers area.  Last I heard, Naples Botanical garden was to be one of the stops.  If you are  interested in serving on the board or having your garden included at an upcoming event, please feel free to respond to the email you received if you are a current or former member.
      Further details and updates will be provided at the following thread: CFPACS 2019 Fall Meeting
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      Please save the dates of October 19th and 20th for the Fall Meeting and plan on it taking place in the Naples/Ft. Myers area.  Last I heard, Naples Botanical garden was to be one of the stops.  If you are  interested in serving on the board or having your garden included at an upcoming event, please feel free to respond to the email you received if you are a current or former member.
      Further details and updates will be provided as they are finalized on this thread.