IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Jupiter1

Sure I can ship them. I just need some direction as to when and how to collect them. Photo was just taken today. 

The ripe seeds will turn orange and start falling in bunches, not all will ripen at once, of course, but it wouldn't take too long. There's alot that could be done with them. You could juice them or make jelly. The squirrels and other wildlife will go nuts for then, so they may start popping up in your yards as well. Just let me know. Thanks Mark

• Upvote 1

I have had much better germination rate  when the fruit is harvested green. Something about queens when the fruit turns orange germination drops fast.

Awesome I'm glad there is interest. I can go up and cut them down now if you would like. Many say wait till theyre orange others say they like em green. I'm really not sure what to do. Let me know and I'll collect them and mail them out. I'll need PM's with address and I'll give you shipping cost once I get them to the post office and you can send me the shipping cost via paypal.

• 3 weeks later...

So here is a current picture from about 10 mins ago. Still green and hanging on. How much longer should I wait before cutting them down?

20180918_190125.jpg

20180918_190159.jpg

20180918_190216.jpg

• Upvote 1

I usually wait until they are orange before harvesting them.  Might not be necessary, but the seeds I had sprouted.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

• 4 weeks later...

They typically ripen closer to winter.  I harvested a few seeds last January after our nasty advective freeze just to see if the seeds were still viable.  I now have a queen palm seedling to show for it.

I did see articles on the net stating that you can germinate the seeds from unripe fruits as mentioned above.  I agree with the sentiment that once they turn orange, you better harvest them, clean them, and sow them fast since they are a tropical/subtropical species.  Which month do you typically harvest your unripe seeds @Laaz ?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F