IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sept 3-5 in San Diego. Where's the palms?

Dave-Vero

No one wants to fly right after Labor Day and American Airlines, thanks to an oddball promotion, is giving me VIP treatment till the 7th, so why not do a cross-country run from Melbourne International?  

For palms, the great Zoo for sure (think I can drop into the Center for Plant Conservation),  The San Diego Botanic Garden (formerly Quail).  Since it's weekdays, there won't be weekend things to do.  Might possibly try a no-car trip.  Sure, it's self punishment but I've bussed from zoo to Torrey Pines on my one previous visit.   Won't try to do a day trip to LA to do the Huntington's cycad collection.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

You can catch Mission bay and see a few palms you'll never see in Florida.  Helpful tip - you want to be on the East / NE side of the park.  You'll start seeing a few brahea edulis and then the Jubaea will pop up then further north are the finest examples of brahea armata that you'll ever see on the East side of the road. 

• Like 1

Mission Bay is a fairly logical area to stay--I guess thanks to Sea World, affordable hotels.  Good transit connections to downtown and La Jolla.  Braheas are neat and absolutely don't grow in Florida.  

If you stay in/around Mission Bay/ Mission Beach, take a walk around the Caramaran resort. The garden is breathtaking and they have a huge collection of mature palms. Some of the best looking Jubaeopsis are there. Balboa park and adjacent San Diego Zoo have lots of palms too, they're worth checking out. There are lots of rhopalostylis, howea, brahea, etc. 

You may want to connect with some of the palmtalkers on here from San Diego and Vista. I'm sure they'd be willing to give you a tour of their private collections. 

While you're at the zoo be sure to head to palm canyon. It wasn't looking too shabby when I was there a few weeks ago.

Quail is great and every bit of it is worth exploring, even the children's garden.

• Like 1

Catamaran West side Mission Bay/Mission Beach

Visitors Center just south of it next to Hilton is where all the Jubea C’s are. 

Balboa Park has Palms everywhere.  Start on the West Side of 163 on 5th ave then walk by lawn bowling area then cross bridge to museum of man then your in balboa park they are everywhere make sure you go to Botonical house/Pond, and then south to Palm Canyon are. 

If you want to see old Canary’s, go to Balboa park, Liberty Station, and PT Loma is where the tallest are.   

Zoo of course 

Also go to Taft St in La Jolla you’ll see the only Corypha U in So Cal : Drive up Mt Soledad you’ll have best view of SD after and a lot of great gardens  

• Upvote 2

Coryphas can be reasonably tough.  Disney's evidently used them in huge numbers at Pandora (Eric from Leu Gardens has looked around; I'm shy of crowds)

North Florida did fairly well with old Canaries, though I get a sinking feeling that many of the ancient ones in Jacksonville must have died.  Gotta visit the Riverside neighborhood.  

The ex-Quail looks like a priority.  Transit from Mission Bay looks pretty reasonable.  I've found that urban driving with a navigation device can work real well (there can be glitches and it can send you down quaint back lanes) but still am not real fond of city driving in unfamiliar areas.  

• Upvote 1

I wasn't a big fan of Balboa park and was expecting more.  I was there back in May. 

3 hours ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I wasn't a big fan of Balboa park and was expecting more.  I was there back in May. 

How much time were you able to spend there?  There's a lot of nice palms in Balboa, but yeah, there is a good bit of common stuff in the widely traveled areas.  Just east of Park Blvd., there's a nice Xeric exhibit, with lots of succulents and desert palms.  Tucked away, there are hyphanae, sabal, brahea, copernicia, phoenix, acromonia, and much more.  I've been discovering palms there, for years, that I never new about.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/39734-palms-of-balboa-park/

• Upvote 2

Looks like we missed the xeric section.  We walked around for about 90 minutes and i have no idea how we missed it. 

• Upvote 2

I think we may be at a Bismarckia maximum.  The things have invaded everywhere.

If you visit Disneyland, be sure to take the the Jungle cruise ride in Adventureland....

• Upvote 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

SD Zoo has a great collection of palms. I totally agree with GottmitAlex, Adventureland in Disneyland is amazing, especially Jungle Cruises, it's so dense and lush you'll feel as if you were in the tropics. 

From Disney's website: "Through the years, the tall trees engulfing the Jungle Cruise have created a lush canopy that regulates the temperature inside this Hollywood Jungle, allowing plants that you won’t find anywhere else in Southern California to thrive right here in Disneyland park."

• Upvote 2

Palos Verdes Estates - coastal Los Angeles - 33°45'N 118°24'W

On a cliff, 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. Zone 10b - Sunset zone 24

16 hours ago, Panamajack said:

SD Zoo has a great collection of palms. I totally agree with GottmitAlex, Adventureland in Disneyland is amazing, especially Jungle Cruises, it's so dense and lush you'll feel as if you were in the tropics. 

From Disney's website: "Through the years, the tall trees engulfing the Jungle Cruise have created a lush canopy that regulates the temperature inside this Hollywood Jungle, allowing plants that you won’t find anywhere else in Southern California to thrive right here in Disneyland park."

We went there on February of this year. And boy, was it hot. And that cruise ride, you feel you're in the tropics. (They do mist mist you, so you remain cool).   Sorry for the quality of the pics. 

20180204_133319-1494x2656.jpg

20180204_133434-2656x1494.jpg

20180204_133525-1494x2656.jpg

20180204_133627-1494x2656.jpg

20180204_133316-1494x2656.jpg

20180204_133937-1494x2656.jpg

20180204_133957-2656x1494.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Disney works hard at palms for Orlando, and things are looking good--no really bad freezes since 2010-11.  You can pretty much see what works there at Leu Gardens, where Eric has been growing lots of palms from seed with the help of volunteers.  I've got an Archontophoenix from Leu in the front yard.  

Down in Miami, the Montgomery Botanical Center is thriving.  It limits visitors and doesn't do botanical-garden type events, but the collections are fabulous and you might get to see a crocodile.  

I'm starting to wonder about doing a raid on the Huntington in Los Angeles.  Catch Amtrak at San Diego Old Town, go to central LA, transit to walking distance from Huntington.  Cycads galore.  

• Upvote 1

@dave-vero

10 minutes ago, Dave-Vero said:

Disney works hard at palms for Orlando, and things are looking good--no really bad freezes since 2010-11.  You can pretty much see what works there at Leu Gardens, where Eric has been growing lots of palms from seed with the help of volunteers.  I've got an Archontophoenix from Leu in the front yard.  

Down in Miami, the Montgomery Botanical Center is thriving.  It limits visitors and doesn't do botanical-garden type events, but the collections are fabulous and you might get to see a crocodile.  

I'm starting to wonder about doing a raid on the Huntington in Los Angeles.  Catch Amtrak at San Diego Old Town, go to central LA, transit to walking distance from Huntington.  Cycads galore.  

If you wanna go to the Big H, maybe check out my place, too.

Half an acre, 160 palm species.

But, San Diego is Jerusalem for palms in So-cal.

• Upvote 3

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

41 minutes ago, DoomsDave said:

@dave-vero

If you wanna go to the Big H, maybe check out my place, too.

Half an acre, 160 palm species.

But, San Diego is Jerusalem for palms in So-cal.

Hear, hear!

I honestly believe your place is Mecca for palms Dave. 

You have a true palm jungle. 

• Upvote 2

Relocated the La Habra palmetum.  The street across the fence still looks like a free-fire zone.  Nothing for terrorists to hide behind, nor anything for a hummingbird to feed on.

The logistics of flying mean that it's usually cheap & easy to go from Orlando to LA, Santa Ana less so (they seem to have de-emphasized John Wayne), and San Diego in between.  The problem with LAX is that while LA has an improving public transit system (you can get to a lot of the major attractions pretty easy), the airport remains kinda disconnected.   

The LA list includes taking in a concert at the Disney Hall, Huntington.  If I'd gone there instead of San Diego, Hollywood Bowl would have been a possible.  

San Diego surf forecast, this far out, is looking as flat as Florida. 

San Diego surf might be flatter than Florida.  Of course both coasts are coming to life on the 9th.

@Dave-Vero, if you can, try to see the San Diego Botanical Gardens. They're about 30 miles north of the airport, but lawdy miss clawdy . . . .https://www.sandiego.org/members/parks-gardens/san-diego-botanic-garden.aspx

OOPS I missed it.

Try if you can, and bring a swooning chaise for all the plants, palms included. Oh yes.

Edited by DoomsDave
mommy made me
  • Upvote 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah, the ex-Quail has a fine reputation.  Also, I have reciprocal free admission there.  Also (via another membership) to a raft of San Diego museums.

By the way, I found a photo of Chanticleer garden in suburban Philly.  They're using little Bismarckias as bedding plants.  Last year, the much bigger Longwood Gardens was using Latanias the same way.  

Right now, wondering about a cold-like ailment and maybe putting off the trip.  I think I have free rescheduling privileges with the airline, temporarily.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

How about an update?