IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Help with ID's

Josh76

Hi all,

Hello from London. I had a good clearout of my greenhouse this week and have some plants which I don't have ID's for. Hope some of you can help.

This one has a label in it saying 'Sabal texana' which I'm not sure is even a recognised species. I've had a look and S. texensis is described as having green leaves but this has very grey/glaucous leaves even at a young age. It could be plain old Sabal minor I guess but perhaps it could be a S. brazoria? Probably too early to tell as I know with Sabals it's the flowers that really help with identification. I think that's a long way off though!!

39467203_1791637440872023_1564683953464410112_n.jpg

This one is definitely a Livistona... most likely L. lanuginosa as I have a very similar looking one with this ID. But could it possibly be L. decora? I remember having some young plants of this in the greenhouse several years ago and can't remember what happened to them... could this be one of them?

39306175_347132295828499_7490033268956332032_n.jpg

39409015_228668637830770_6856047983843082240_n.jpg

And finally, this Phoenix was collected from a tree labelled as P. reclinata but growing in a garden with P. dactylifera and P. canariensis so could potentially be a hybrid. Can the arrangement of the leaflets/blades help identify the parentage?

39266555_2173500439566666_4303644689011048448_n.jpg

I’d say your IDs are correct. 

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Hi Josh,

You're right about the possibility of your Phoenix being a hybrid - I'd say it's likely a hybrid but no idea of what parentage although canariensis is a likely candidate.  I have a Livistona decora seedling that is just going palmate and it doesn't have the saw-like teeth along the edge of the leaf but only on the petiole.  Yours has both.  My juvenile L. nitida has both (it's a bit younger than yours).  I'm not familiar with L. lanuginosa, but my understanding is that L. nitida is the only Livistona with this particular trait.  I'm sure there are Livistona experts out there who could confirm or disprove that statement.

Jon

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder

• 3 weeks later...

L. decoras that I've seen at that size have the much droopier fronds for which the species is known. I'm not sure what it is (maybe L. mariae/rigida with that hint of red in the petioles) but it doesn't seem like L decora to me.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.