Sign in to follow this  
sandgroper

A walk around UWA

sandgroper

Today, with my Wife and Daughter, I went to the University of Western Australia, they had an open day with lots of fun activities for kids and adults alike. I decided to take some photos of the gardens, although we are still in winter here and the plants are not looking their best they are still quite lovely and provide a pleasant place for a quiet wander. Hope you like the pics,

cheers, Dave.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 3

sandgroper

image.png

• Upvote 3

greysrigging

Very tropical looking.... but you can't fool all of us.... Perth area is a sandy desert wasteland to those of us from up North..... lol

sandgroper

Plenty of palms like these growing in Perth, not too bad for a desert wasteland! Lol

• Upvote 2

Tyrone
3 hours ago, greysrigging said:

Very tropical looking.... but you can't fool all of us.... Perth area is a sandy desert wasteland to those of us from up North..... lol

Plenty of sandy desert up north. In fact the Great Sandy Desert is exactly that.

Tyrone
3 hours ago, sandgroper said:

Today, with my Wife and Daughter, I went to the University of Western Australia, they had an open day with lots of fun activities for kids and adults alike. I decided to take some photos of the gardens, although we are still in winter here and the plants are not looking their best they are still quite lovely and provide a pleasant place for a quiet wander. Hope you like the pics,

cheers, Dave.

image.jpeg

I always wanted to check out the Howeas from UWA when I used to live up there, but never got around too it. They're old plants.

Some facts. Howeas love sandy soil especially with a bit of limestone in it. The Perth coastal strip is exactly that. LHI is the same latitude as Perth also. Perth coastline winters aren't much different to LHI winters either. There are heaps of good looking Howeas on the west coast from about Perth down right to the south coast around Albany. Inland areas around Perth are too hot for Howeas in full sun in summer though. They tend to burn. LHI never ever hits 30C yet Perth averages 32C in January and February. Perth summers are generally low in humidity whereas  LHI has year round humidity especially in summer. With added humus and irrigation in the warm season a Howea can be very happy in Perth.

• Upvote 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• MarioPalmCUBA
      By MarioPalmCUBA
    • Glawyer
      By Glawyer
      I have several canary date palms (phoenix canariensis) which are showing problems with pests.  The first one forms hard bumps on the leaf. I sprayed it pretty intensely with neam oil, but I don't know if it is dead (and just the skeleton remains) or if the pest is still active. What scares me is that I saw the same type of pest start to appear on a different phoenix about 100 meters distant. All told, I have 5 on the property, and I want to kill this pest before it spreads further... and especially before it gets into the big one, I have no idea how I'd spray anything into that beauty.

One of my other small phoenixes has these little black lines on its leaf. I'm sure it is another type of nasty bug, and would love some tips on how to get rid of it.

Organic methods are strongly preferred. Man-made poisons just linger too long in the environment and have spillover effects.

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      Here is a catalog of all the bigger CIDP's around London and their locations, so that they can be monitored moving forward. It also helps for people to know where they can find them exactly, should they be in the area and decide to visit some. Many of these CIDP's are not well known, so I will be photo-documenting and logging quite a lot of fairly large specimens in the city and suburbs.
      Starting with the one at Lambeth Bridge...

River Gardens, Fulham

Hollands Park

Kensington

These CIDP's on the intersection are fruiting profusely and producing viable seed...

Another one further down the street...

There's two big CIDP's outside Hackney town hall. They've been there about 20 years. 

Egerton Place

It's in need of a trim, which will make the trunk look even bigger...

Mount Street gardens, Mayfair

Notting Hill

Richmond

White City, west London

Clapham

Next to a church in Ealing, West London.

Next to Wimbledon fire station. 

People's back gardens in Bermondsey, south west London

Wapping, East London

Eaton Square...

Islington

North Kensington...

Clapham again...

Camberwell...

Southwark...

East Dulwich

Croydon

Apartments in Fulham

St. Annes in Notting Hill

Front gardens kitted out...

Earlsfield

Another in Notting Hill...

A back yard in the London suburb of Leyton...

Decent sized specimen in Walworth...

That will do for now. I will upload the rest tomorrow as there are tons of other CIDP's in people's gardens/yards. I've barely scratched the surface on the London CIDP's yet...

• Aidan
      By Aidan
      hello, 
      I would be very grateful for some help with my Kentia (Howea Forsteriana). Some leaves have turned black, as you can see in the pics. The frond that is most affected also has some visible problem on the stalk (also in pics).  The plant gets good indirect sunlight (but was in a darker spot for a few weeks after I bought it) and no very cold temperatures or drafts. I don't think it has been seriously overwatered but maybe slightly overwatered on occasion in the past.
      I bought it about two months ago and repotted it at that time. I realised later (partly from reading on palmtalk) that the soil I used was probably a bit too heavy for it, and also I'm not sure the pot is suitable (it has taproots and likes to be a bit more potbound). When I read about the soil, I repotted it again about 2 weeks ago with lighter soil. I subsequently read that the plant hates being repotted! Oops. Bit of a learning curve. When I repotted it, I noticed a few dead roots, which I cut with a scissors. 
      Does the pot look too big? If it is too big should I leave it some time before repotting again or do it now, when it is dormant, in winter (in Dublin, Ireland)? Any thoughts on the black leaves and the stalk rot? The black leaves affects a few fronds including at least one of the young fronds (but most notable on the one photographed, which has the bad stalk).  I am thinking of giving it around 200ml every two weeks during winter (I have given it a bit more than that in the past, which maybe contributed to the issues). When watering, should I water from below (but I'm the roots don't reach down to the bottom of the vase)? 
      Very grateful for any advice!!
      Thank you! 
      Aidan. 

• DAVEinMB
      By DAVEinMB
      CIDP are really hard to find around here but looky what I stumbled upon. I didn't buy it but was super tempted. The nursery got 3 in to see how they'd do, if they still have them in March I think I may have a spot for it