IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Typhonodorum lindleyanum

edbrown_III

Typhonodorum lindleyanum -----anyone grow this in FL?     Daves Garden lists 9a growing zone ---- is this accurate ---implies we could potentially grow in North Fl ----its a helluva a plant -----any commentary or insults would be honored and appreciated 

I grew several of them from seed, they sprouted easily, but found them difficult to keep going and most just rotted away. Of about 6 seedlings I have only one survivor, now about three years old and a couple feet high in a pot with no holes. They also seem to be very sensitive to the cold, so I don't think outside in Jacksonville is an option. I've heard they have naturalized in south Florida, though I've never seen one.

I've been growing them for a while, they're sometimes called "Water Bananas". They look too much 'Aroid' to me and not really Banana-like. At my place height seems to peak at 3 metres and then they don't get any taller. They flower frequently and produce lots of seeds. Can't give away the seeds or seedlings, no one want them because of the size. Usually I compost the seed pods to prevent them taking over. Apart from Amorphophallus, they have the largest flowers (actually inflorescences) of all my aroids. Despite being so prolific they're easy to control. They're a no fuss plant you can forget about and will still grow well. But the large leaves are easily damaged by strong winds and falling fronds or branches. if broken right off, even at a low level, they'll just re-sprout.

ptn17031504.jpg.a8c4196f151528317a85cf8f

ptn09021740.jpg.9c77fe7bcb9092a0863e16b5

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

wow!

and thanks ---- I was just wondering it may be a pot plant or in the greenhouse permanently 

I have never gotten plants past seedling stage. Even though they are aquatic/ wet soil plants, seedlings have always rotted for me.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

That is the problem for me too - I've grown and sold hundreds if not thousands - but not a single one got past the seedling stage - I've tried them in water, in soil, and in "mud." Hmm 

None of my customers ever reported back - so I have no idea how they did after I shipped them. 

On a related note, I have never gotten Montrichardia arborescens to thrive either. I had a acquired a few plants years ago. Kept them in containers and sunken into a small pond. They would grow but not thrive. I finally planted a couple in the ground in a wet, mucky location. Grew a little bit but didn't survive low 30sF that winter.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

If any of the seeds at my place aren't removed they drop and sprout fairly quickly. Can't afford to let them grow, the pond's become too crowded already, all water loving aroids:
Lasia spinosa,
Alocasia cucullata,
Epipremnum amplissimum
Urospatha grandis
Cyrtosperma johnsonii
Spathiphyllum cv
Lagenandra lancifolia

They're at a reasonable equilibrium but run-away Typhonodorums could shade out and out compete them.

I put clayey type soil in the pond (concrete) when it was first built (about 10 years ago). Since then fallen leaves have been left to rot down normally. The water is always clear except for a short while after heavy rain and run off flows into the pond. The Typhonodorum seedlings seem to like that set up. I'm planning one day to make a much larger pond to accommodate a lot of them.

thanks so much ---- probably a long shot ------- it might be one of those plants tht I grow in large pot and drag in and out ----(just what I need _) 

It will need to be a BIG pot. I put one initially in a milk crate and later had to move it. A job for a tractor. It's even bigger now, not going to be moved again, not by me anyway.

ptn08030105.jpg.ca2ea691c1e8317d8b9f2ba9

• Upvote 1

I got three seedlings in a com-pot that were greenhouse grown. Kept them for over a year in a greenhouse were they grew quickly. We planted them in early summer in semi shaded, protected muddy areas that always have a few inches of water. They were badly set back by disentangling their roots before planting. They're recovering from the  transplant shock and lately seem to be doing better. Of course, even very close to the coast at Pinecrest Gardens, it's a gamble that they will make it through the winter in the ground.

• 9 months later...

I’m live in the UK and I’m looking for these seeds, so if anyone is willing to help me out, please let me know. I’m happy to pay

You'll need to find out what quarantine restrictions there may be for sending seed to the UK.  Also what conditions or restrictions there might be placed on doing it. Keep in mind, the seeds are fairly large, they're soft and easily crushed, and need to be kept moist to maintain viability.

@tropicbreeze- the seeds have been sold in Europe but suppliers seem to run out frequently. A phyto certificate may be needed but can’t see any other restrictions! 

Friends up the road have a big dam nearly full of them .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.