IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bald Cypress Sprouted!

PalmTreeDude

So I completely forgot about my Bald Cypress seeds left in the fridge from last fall. Just one week and two days ago I put all of the seeds (that were in the fridge) in a big community pot and did not think anything would happen. Then I left to visit family for a week. I came back and four sprouted. I heard these can sometimes take months to sprout and they have bad germination rates (which is true, I had over 50 seeds and only four came up, so far). I thought this was pretty cool. 

20180808_222537.jpg

• Upvote 2

PalmTreeDude

Cool. Seedlings look like tiny starfish.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Good job! Im a compulsive seed collector. I pick up any seed I see of any type. I'm curious what your plant interests are other than palms.

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2018, 9:51:37, PalmatierMeg said:

Cool. Seedlings look like tiny starfish.

Haha, that's true! I thought they looked like little plastic palms. 

On 8/9/2018, 10:54:57, Josue Diaz said:

Good job! Im a compulsive seed collector. I pick up any seed I see of any type. I'm curious what your plant interests are other than palms.

I like any plant that grows in warm climates or from the Southern USA. I also like to grow hot peppers. Here are some Cayannes I planted (late in the season) and they are no bigger than I foot tall and getting flowers. 

20180811_144807.jpg

20180811_144813.jpg

PalmTreeDude

That's awesome!  None of mine germinated, but I'll try again this fall.  Probably needed to let them sit in the fridge awhile longer.  I'll see if I can find any Montezuma Cypress seeds (Taxodium mucronatum).  It's funny that this tree is recommended higher to grow here than our native Taxodium distichum!  I did buy and plant a Taxodium distichum because I couldn't find any Taxodium mucronatum last fall.

Jon Sunder

• 1 month later...

Update: Two of the four Bald Cypress seedlings died after my dog knocked over the pot. They were leaned sideways and I leaned them back up but apparently they did not like that and just died. The two that were not knocked around badly are still alive and I just reported them. Here they are today. 

20181007_185421.jpg

• Upvote 1

PalmTreeDude