IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Growing Breadfruit in Central Florida

mike-coral gables

My breadfruit tree is fruiting! IMO,One of the most beautiful tropical trees ever , ultra cold sensitive so it winters in out of the garage once the temp drops below 50F. 

874762BF-7E05-479E-853C-0ADA5B1E4997.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Congratulations on a beautifully grown breadfruit! I know it takes dedication to protect such a tree in FL.

Last year's hurricanes broke off most of these in PR, but they have easily resprouted.

• Like 1

Cindy Adair

Mike,

Congratulations. I did not think they would fruit in a pot. That's great. 

I have mine in the ground. It took some damage this past winter but has recovered. It has not fruited yet. Good to see orhers are growing this beautiful tree.

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

Thank you both ! Tracy , I was curious of your location and see that you live in Stuart. Do you think the tree has long term viability there? Being a Miami native I had tried in the past to grow the tree down there without long term success ( however there are a few growing on Key Biscayne and Miami Beach) . 

Great specimen! Would not have expected it in Mt. Dora,which is pristine spot but a bit north of the "Orlando/Heat Island". Good to see a young man from the Gables stretching the envelope!

• Upvote 1

What you look for is what is looking

Mike, 

I agree, it's a bit of a gamble trying to grow a breadfruit in Stuart.Although,  I have a nice little micro climate being across the street from the intracoastal and just a few miles from the ocean. I have had some success growing some zone 11 plants here although this past winter was the first really cold winter my garden has gone through.

Long term it may not last, but I would bet it will live at least until the next super cold  winter season. Those seem to hit every 10 years or so. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy while I can. 

Tracy

Stuart, Florida

Zone 10a

So many palms, so little room

On 8/5/2018, 6:48:53, mike-coral gables said:

My breadfruit tree is fruiting! IMO,One of the most beautiful tropical trees ever , ultra cold sensitive so it winters in out of the garage once the temp drops below 50F. 

874762BF-7E05-479E-853C-0ADA5B1E4997.jpeg

That's a male flower (flowers), have you had any female flowers yet? That plant looks very healthy. One thing they don't like is dry air with windy conditions. It knocks the leaves a lot as they're quite thin and don't hold much moisture.

Really, I’m disappointed! That’s the only flower I see on the tree , will keep looking , I assume that I will know if it is a female flower by its shape?

That's actually an inflorescence, a dense cluster of male flowers. Female flowers do the same but the cluster is more globular. If that's it's first year of flowering don't be surprised if you don't get anything. A lot of fruit trees when young have failed fruiting attempts. Be patient (maybe a couple of more years) and it should get its act together. It looks in good health so you must be on the right track.

Thats a nice specimen!

Years ago I planted a small Breadfruit here at Leu Gardens to see if it would grow as a dieback perennial. I planted a small knee high specimen in the warmest microclimate area at the garden. It grew to about 4-5ft tall. The first winter we only had down to about 38-40F. The tree defoliated and in spring resprouted about 2/3 down the stem. It was stunted and grew slow for most of the summer. The next winter we got down into the low 30sF. The tree did not grow back in spring. Curiosity satisfied.

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 10 months later...

Well last year failed with all “fruit” dropping but this year ......

2A3683A9-95F0-4DEE-9BAD-D0296FE70E8C.jpeg

4D328A55-7E5E-4B92-AA9C-236DFC48FD8B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

• 10 months later...