IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Have you ever gotten a scammer calling you?

Palm crazy

This week I had three different scam caller calling me... one I was being sued, another from the IRS, another one I just hang up on. 

Here is one of the most entertaining Scammer getting Scam back videos. It really funny! Please don't fall for these thieves tricks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ll_qnBNTY&list=RDY_ll_qnBNTY&start_radio=1#t=9 

• Upvote 1

Funny video! I was a recipient of the same scam problem recently and reported the caller's company name and phone number to:

- Treasury Dept: https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/contact_report_scam.shtml

- FCC's Consumer Complaint Center: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=39744

Also, I blocked the number. So far at least, that seems to have stopped the calls. :angry:

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Hilliard, that's good advice!  I google the numbers that called me and they all came up as scammers from other people.  

• 2 weeks later...

We got so many scam calls we gave up our landline. Now they call our cell phones. I don't answer my cell if the number is unknown. I figure if they really want to talk to me they will leave a voicemail. The worst is email scammers. I must block 25 people a day who send me scam emails

• Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

@Palm crazy I've gotten the lawsuit and the IRS one.  I didn't answer, they just left a partial voicemail.  I used to get them from "Microsoft" claiming that my computer had a virus.  A few of us at work started acting as if we knew absolutely nothing and would fire up a computer running a Linux distro and let them try their luck with it.

I have done what @metalfan and yourself have done and blocked the numbers, but it's probably just as easy to follow the "don't answer if you don't know" rule.  Scam emails... I get tons of them as well.  I read a report at one point that stated that a majority of the traffic on the net is actually SPAM of one form or another.  With all of the major tech companies collecting every piece of information on us as they can and selling the information, it's hard to protect yourself from all the targeted advertising.  Using a VPN can yield some interesting results.  It's fun to use a VPN in another country and get ads for singles in Norway LOL.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

Yeah, I got rid of my land line 10 years ago so I was surprised they called me and knew my name. I now just don't answer and they stop calling. All my spam emails go into the spam folder automatically. 

Edited by Palm crazy

28 minutes ago, Palm crazy said:

Yeah, I got rid of my land line 10 years ago so I was surprised they called me and knew my name. I now just don't answer and they stop calling. All my spam emails go into the spam folder automatically. 

Palm Crazy my daughter just got back from a trip up to Seattle and Olympia earlier this summer. She said its beautiful up there (I've been to Seattle a few times but never anywhere else around the state) and she wants to try and get a job there when she gets out of school. The photos she sent back were pretty breathtaking.

7 hours ago, metalfan said:

Palm Crazy my daughter just got back from a trip up to Seattle and Olympia earlier this summer. She said its beautiful up there (I've been to Seattle a few times but never anywhere else around the state) and she wants to try and get a job there when she gets out of school. The photos she sent back were pretty breathtaking.

Some very nice natural beauty here with forest, ocean, mountains. The first thing people from out of state say is ... "it's so green" even in winter.  Lots of plant choices here, with great nurseries.  Glad your daughter enjoy it. Olympia is a college town, a strong art community, the state capital. Mostly liberal city and a great place to raise a family.

Here some pictures of Olympia. 

cfiles5118.jpg

cfiles5116.jpg

cfiles5117.jpg

procession.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

That is why she is drawn to it. Her major is Illustration, she is gay, and she loves cool creative people and natural beauty

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2018, 7:22:30, metalfan said:

We got so many scam calls we gave up our landline. Now they call our cell phones. I don't answer my cell if the number is unknown. I figure if they really want to talk to me they will leave a voicemail. The worst is email scammers. I must block 25 people a day who send me scam emails

This is what I do for the phone calls.....99% of the calls do't leave a VM so I block the number.

Emails go into a spam folder. Delete them all.

• Upvote 1

I block them too. But they seem to have more than one number to use LOL

Not a lot of work for illustrator in Olympia, but Seattle has lots of Artist jobs. Olympia is more a fine arts town and lots of non-professional artists. LGBTQ are very welcome in both cities.  :D

Since I have been screening my calls the calls have stopped. Thank Goodness!