IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Jubaeopsis has decided to split!

Josue Diaz

Looks like my jubaeopsis decided it wants company. I've been noticing this extra robust spear emerging over the past couple of months. It turns out that it's a double spear.

20180804_100741.thumb.jpg.ef4602daa350b6

Edited by Josue Diaz
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Those are good news for you, cause it means imo that the plant feels quite comfortable in your garden. So you may expect that it will skyrocket in the following years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Josue Diaz said:

20180804_100837.thumb.jpg.fedb079e7c3879

Josue: That's great news! Mine hasn't skipped a beat during our triple-digit heat. In fact, growth seems to be accelerating this year. Eventually I hope to do as you have and plant mine in the ground.

Jubie-2018.png

• Upvote 7

Ok this is probably a stupid question I have a few different sizes of these planted one pretty descent sized on and 2 that are about this size the biggest one is already a double . But how do you know it is splitting? In the first picture all I am able to see is 2 Spears at once ? 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Ok this is probably a stupid question I have a few different sizes of these planted one pretty descent sized on and 2 that are about this size the biggest one is already a double . But how do you know it is splitting? In the first picture all I am able to see is 2 Spears at once ? 

From my understanding, a double spear in palms like jubaeopsis and dypsis decipiens is evidence of two growth points in the meristem.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Phoenikakias said:

There is a whole recent relevant topic about the split. 

Which is?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 8/4/2018, 8:07:56, JubaeaMan138 said:

Yessir it’s splitting!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

On 5/8/2018, 6:07:56, JubaeaMan138 said:

If you look carefully enough, you will notice, as the spears develop, that the do not emerge from a common center.

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2018, 12:00:23, Hillizard said:

Josue: That's great news! Mine hasn't skipped a beat during our triple-digit heat. In fact, growth seems to be accelerating this year. Eventually I hope to do as you have and plant mine in the ground.

Jubie-2018.png

I found that last year it burned from our extended 100F stretch. This year, I've watered it more and it has yet to burn despite seeing over 30 days in a row of triple-digit temperatures. 

On 8/4/2018, 10:14:27, Josue Diaz said:

39 minutes ago, Josue Diaz said:

I found that last year it burned from our extended 100F stretch. This year, I've watered it more and it has yet to burn despite seeing over 30 days in a row of triple-digit temperatures. 

20180804_100837.thumb.jpg.fedb079e7c3879

Good to know that lots of water will help prevent frond burning! :greenthumb:  We're not done with triple-digit temps this year. Mine gets some shade all day, which is why its leaves are somewhat elongated and a dark green!

On 8/6/2018, 12:18:54, Hillizard said:

Good to know that lots of water will help prevent frond burning! :greenthumb:  We're not done with triple-digit temps this year. Mine gets some shade all day, which is why its leaves are somewhat elongated and a dark green!

@xvang01 also has one here in Fresno in a shaded spot. His is very dark green.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Just thought I'd share a photo of this jubaeopsis from this morning. Looking back at the earlier pics, my entire yard looked so parched! Thanks to plenty of recent rain, all of my plants are full and lush. Active growth on my jubaeopsis too. 

20190405_075301.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Josue: Your front yard garden's looking good, esp. the Jubaeopsis. Not sure what's going to happen to one half of mine: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/36440-what-are-the-heat-requirements-for-jubaeopsis-caffra-and-dypsis-decipiens/&tab=comments#comment-887637

Maybe it's time I plant it in the ground and see what happens this year? :unsure:

4 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Just thought I'd share a photo of this jubaeopsis from this morning. Looking back at the earlier pics, my entire yard looked so parched! Thanks to plenty of recent rain, all of my plants are full and lush. Active growth on my jubaeopsis too. 

20190405_075301.jpg

Gotta admit. It does have a resemblance to a coconut palm. Very nice.

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

12 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

20190405_075301.jpg

Your yard looks great Josue. Very serene.

Here's a question: Josue, how do you know it's a split and not a succeeding spear? From the pictures I noticed that when the palm "splits" it forms two trunks.

I took two pics of my coconut palms'new spears. They are emerging right after the older spear.

I am oblivious to the whole splitting spear thing. I guess I need a instruction on the topic.

Thanks

20190405_230143-1470x3024.jpg

20190405_230108-1470x3024.jpg

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

When a palm starts splitting, it pushes a new leaf not exactly  from the central point of growth. In other words it creates a new, additional  lateral point of growth.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:00 PM, Hillizard said:

Jubie-2018.png

Like this, right? One can clearly see two heads/trunks. Is that because it split?

Or am I missing the point? (No pun intended)

Edited by GottmitAlex

15 minutes ago, Phoenikakias said:

When a palm starts splitting, it pushes a new leaf not exactly  from the central point of growth. In other words it creates a new, additional  lateral point of growth.

Does that form a new trunk/bowl?

Or is it like P.canariensis which shoots/grows multiple spears at once?

Edited by GottmitAlex

12 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Like this, right? One can clearly see two heads/trunks. Is that because it split?

Or am I missing the point? (No pun intended)

This is the end result of a splitting process.  In the very first stages one can observe a spear popping up from the axil of an existing leaf

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Here’s a update on mine looking pretty good I believe this one will turn out to be orange petiole it’s hard to see in the picture but looks different than my other one . 

890AA202-A762-495B-9284-56DB19FD92DC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

JubaeaMan138: Your J. caffra looks good! I would have planted my double out in the ground this spring too, but I pulled a spear out on one of the trunks a couple of months ago, so I'm waiting to see if it'll recover and resume growth. Fronds on both trunks look good, so I'm hopeful. :unsure:

Here is the second one this was near death little under 2 years ago I actually posted about it now it is doing phenomenal now . Need to clear back the ice plant a little 

CACC00C9-F1DC-4DC2-821B-5B351EE38929.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Here is the second one this was near death little under 2 years ago I actually posted about it now it is doing phenomenal now . Need to clear back the ice plant a little 

CACC00C9-F1DC-4DC2-821B-5B351EE38929.jpeg

The trick to it doing so well must be that pine cone mulch! ;)

• Like 1

Haha funny thing is the squirrels collect those and pile them around my plants . I can’t complain they aren’t eating the palms or digging around them so they can carry on 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Haha funny thing is the squirrels collect those and pile them around my plants . I can’t complain they aren’t eating the palms or digging around them so they can carry on 

Then your squirrels are better "trained" than mine!:yay:

On 8/4/2018 at 11:19 AM, Phoenikakias said:

Those are good news for you, cause it means imo that the plant feels quite comfortable in your garden. So you may expect that it will skyrocket in the following years.

Let's not get hasty about that skyrocket part. :rolleyes:

Maybe the same deliberation as before, just two fold. . . . .

• 1 month later...

Bump Josue! How is your 'opsis doing, after a cool and wet winter? Winter here is always cool to cold  and wet so I planted mine in pumice as a precaution against wet feet. Agreed that moisture in summer is never enough this way, which slows down its potential growth rate, but it remains healthy and solitary, keeping longer the resemblance to a coconut.

20190720_111935.thumb.jpg.0d5ff26d0e5603d6f01ad435de6d6a9c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 7/20/2019 at 2:43 AM, Phoenikakias said:

Bump Josue! How is your 'opsis doing, after a cool and wet winter? Winter here is always cool to cold  and wet so I planted mine in pumice as a precaution against wet feet. Agreed that moisture in summer is never enough this way, which slows down its potential growth rate, but it remains healthy and solitary, keeping longer the resemblance to a coconut.

20190720_111935.thumb.jpg.0d5ff26d0e5603d6f01ad435de6d6a9c.jpg

Yours looks great! Mine is pushing four spears at once (two spears per meristem) whereas before the split, it was just two spears at one time. 

Screenshot_20190723-205245_Gallery.thumb.jpg.11fb93443a9d660dd5991ce8e8971911.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion, the leaves on this species (particularly the leaflets) look as Cocos nucifera-like as any palm other than the coconut itself.

• 2 years later...