Jdical

Cold Damaged Sabal - Any Help?

Jdical

Hi all this is my first post and I am in the Kill Devil Hills Area of OBX, NC. I have a few Sabal palms on my property and I recently planted 2 new 18 ft's last summer that rooted really well however I did not wrap them given the previous mild summer. So, of course, we had a terrible winter and all of my Sabals got some cold damage. Of the 2 I planted last year one is doing pretty good and has some really good growth and tight spears shooting through. The other has developed a soft trunk to about an inch in certain spots but is growing a nice spear but just incredibly slowly. I did dig around the palm and noticed that that around 18 inches it had solid roots that were alive and had grown significantly since I planted it. I cut off a lot of the brown fronds so it doesnt have a ton of nutrients getting to it. I included 2 pictures from June 11 and July 19. Any suggestions for further treatment beyond Copper Fungicide (I did treate it already)? Also, can these palms bounce back? Many thanks as this is my first post and I'm a recent memeber. 5b63171b75450_June11.jpg.23c3c97693730f7 

July 19.jpg

• Upvote 1

TexasColdHardyPalms

Keep them watered and well fed throughout the summer and they'll fine. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Poodles
      By Poodles
      Hello there, I am hoping that someone in this forum can tell me what is wrong with my sabal palm...
      I have noticed that the palm tree in question has a “soft” trunk. I am able to push my finger into the trunk. In addition to that, I have noticed other damage e.g. holes and trunk fibers (shown in pictures) along the trunk.
      I have another palm which was planted at the same time in my back yard and it’s doing great. I have no issues with this palm tree. 
      What is causing a soft trunk and the damages showing in the pictures? Is the palm salvageable or is it too late?
      is appreciate your input and feedback. 
      Thanks. 

• Jdical
      By Jdical
      Hi All. I had bird put a nice hole in my sabal a couple of years ago about the size of a tennis ball. I filled it with spray foam and then a rubber specticide. I went to check on it to find that the cavity has doubled inside, does not smell rotted, looks like it is composting with a black sludge. The tree is very healthy with nice crown even after the cold winter here in obx, NC. I need to know what to spray inside and what to fill it with if anything?? Suggestions would be awesome. See pics.
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      I commented on a few other threads that my archontophoenix alexandrae looked fine after our 28F advective freeze in January.  Some leaf tip burn, but overall healthy.  About a month later, I noticed the spear starting to get brown streaks and gave it a tug.  There was some movement, so I gave it a sharper tug and it came out with the entire bottom being brown and mushy.  I peroxided the hole, and it bubbled profusely.  The next day, I sprayed the hole full of copper fungicide.  One side of the crownshaft had a brown streak on it, probably from cold/wind damage.  At this point, that brown streak is splitting from a bulge in the crownshaft. 
      Surgery necessary on this one to clear a jam?
      Anyone have any input? 

• PalmTreeDude
      By PalmTreeDude
      I was watching a video of a family that went to Palmetto State Park, Texas, and at the start of the video it shows them driving down the road at the park, and at the time 0:30 you can see a large Sabal palm off to the left side. I am really bad with Texas palms. Do you think it is a Sabal mexicana? Video link https://youtu.be/W4arW3KJUic

• Tracy
      By Tracy
      While pulling weeds this weekend, I noticed a glossy material at the base of my Dypsis prestoniana.  Heavy and persistent rains had saturated the ground around it while mulch with a top coat of bark had obscured the saps accumulation.  It seems to be coming from just above the petiole base, of the lowest leaf.  The weight of the leaf has gradually caused the boot of the petiole to partially peel back from the trunk of the palm.  The palm is otherwise quite healthy, and has continued growing right through winter, albeit at a slower pace than it grows in the warmer months.  My first thought was to spray some copper sulfate (Liquid Copper Fungicide solution) where it would drip down to where the source of the sap is.  I can't see the source of the sap, except to know that is obscured by the boot of the petiole.  Anyone experienced something like this and/or have additional treatment advice, other than periodically using the copper sulfate and monitoring it? 
      Photos are after I treated, and you can see a little bit of the shiny sap where it has leaked down.  The blue in the soil, is from the Luiqid Copper Fungicide, which has drained down after I sprayed enough above to allow it to leak down behind the petiole base.  The location of the sap is not the source, it has drained down to that point.  I don't normally like shadows in photos either, but thought it was an easy way to show scale.