Jump to content
abdalav

Syagrus weddelliana or another species/hybrid?

Recommended Posts

abdalav

Hello, everyone. I'm a journalist from Brazil and I started to cultivate palms recently. I bought this palm in a shop here in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I'd like to identify it correctly. Is it a Syagrus weddelliana,another species, a hybrid?

It's about 80 cm tall. Its largest leaves have 58 cm rachis and about 40-45 leaflets on each side. 

 

20180731_171103 (1).jpg

20180731_171127 (1).jpg

20180801_181959 (1).jpg

20180801_182032 (1).jpg

20180731_171110 (1).jpg

20180801_182015 (1).jpg

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

The leaflets are wider then I would expect from a S. weddeliana. It looks somewhat like the hybrid weddel. x hoehnei I have, but probably its more likely to be a variation of a pure weddelianum.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

As I already wrote in the PM to you, it looks to me like a very nicely grown Syagrus weddelliana. It is a little bit more compact than mine, because my palms are mostly growing indoors so that they are more stretched. The only other palm species which is very similar looking is Syagrus insignis, but your palm is too tender for that genus. And there is no reason why it should be a hybrid. All features you mentioned are typical to S weddelliana.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav
2 minutes ago, Alberto said:

The leaflets are broader then I would expect from a S. weddeliana. It looks somewhay like the hybrid weddel. x hoehnei I have, but probably its more likely to be a variation of a pure weddelianum.

Thanks, Alberto. Do you have pics of your weddel. x hoehnei hybrid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav
6 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

As I already wrote in the PM to you, it looks to me like a very nicely grown Syagrus weddelliana. It is a little bit more compact than mine, because my palms are mostly growing indoors so that they are more stretched. The only other palm species which is very similar looking is Syagrus insignis, but your palm is too tender for that genus. And there is no reason why it should be a hybrid. All features you mentioned are typical to S weddelliana.

Thanks, Pal. Alberto mentioned that the leaflets are broader than the regular weddeliana. The middle series leaflets are about 0.6-1.0 cm. I don't know if it could indicate a hybridization.

Edited by abdalav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
57 minutes ago, abdalav said:

Thanks, Pal. Alberto mentioned that the leaflets are broader than the regular weddeliana. The middle series leaflets are about 0.6-1.0 cm. I don't know if it could indicate a hybridization.

That is absolutely normal. I have placed one of my S weddelliana (N°1303) since last year on my balcony, so that it got exposed also to direct sun and could grow more compact. All middle series leaflets are 1 cm broad. I’ll pos a photo tomorrow; now it is dark here, short after midnight.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

Here a middle leaflet of N°1303; I’ll post tomorrow more photos of that palm.

5b6249f651a02_N13032018-08-02P1040797.th

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Thanks, Pal! So my plant is probably a pure S. weddelliana. I look forward to seeing more pics of your weddelliana!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
9 minutes ago, abdalav said:

Thanks, Pal! So my plant is probably a pure S. weddelliana. I look forward to seeing more pics of your weddelliana!

Yes, it is a typical well grown S weddelliana:greenthumb:

But as promised I post here a couple of pics which show other shade grown S weddelliana for comparison. At first only the middle leaflets of N°1301 and N°1302; the measures are:

N°1301: 8 mm / 22 cm / 90 cm Rachis / 50+ leaflets on both sides

N°1302: 7 mm / 20 cm / 80 cm Rachis / 50+ leaflets obs

N°1303: 10 mm / 25 cm / 90 cm Rachis / 50+ leaflets obs

5b62e1c92ce3e_N13012018-08-02P1040798.th

5b62e1d03530e_N13022018-08-02P1040799.th

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

And Alberto, I've just seen your post about the hybrid S. weddelliana x S. hoehnei. In the overall aspect your hybrid really looks like a pure weddelliana, but we can see the differences just analyzing the leaflets in detail. 

Hybrid's leaflet has an intermediate width between weddel's and hoehnei's. Its middle leaflet probably measures around 1.0-1.6 cm, as weddelianna's width is around 0.4-1.2 cm and hoehnei's is 1.5-2.0 cm (I've also looked for Noblick's descriptions of the pure species).

Furthermore, hybrid leaflet shape is much more linear than lanceolate, while weddelliana tends to be more lanceolate.

One more detail I noticed is that hybrid's midrib seems more yellowish, tending to look more like hoehnei's than weddelliana's (that's is greener).

 

 

 

Edited by abdalav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav
8 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

Yes, it is a typical well grown S weddelliana:greenthumb:

But as promised I post here a couple of pics which show other shade grown S weddelliana for comparison. At first only the middle leaflets of N°1301 and N°1302; the measures are:

N°1301: 8 mm / 22 cm / 90 cm Rachis / 50+ leaflets on both sides

N°1302: 7 mm / 20 cm / 80 cm Rachis / 50+ leaflets obs

N°1303: 10 mm / 25 cm / 90 cm Rachis / 50+ leaflets obs

 

Awesome, is the rachis measured from the first leaflet to the tip or from the stem to the tip? Because my rachis (measured from the first leaflet) seems a bit shorter (just 58 cm).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
2 minutes ago, abdalav said:

Awesome, is the rachis measured from the first leaflet to the tip or from the stem to the tip? Because my rachis (measured from the first leaflet) seems a bit shorter (just 58 cm).

It is the rachis without the petiole and first leaflet. — Here the data of all three palms germinated on the same day; the first photo shows the three in Ø14.8 cm H17.4 cm pots when they were still grown together on the same place near a SW window.

N°1301: stembase 47 mm / height (without pot) 170 cm / grown at a SW window with shaded sunlight

N°1302: stembase 32 mm / height (wp) 130 cm / grown in the shade of N°1301

N°1303: stembase 42 mm / height (wp) 140 cm / grown on balcony since March 2017 with 4-8 hours sun at temps from 42°C down to ±0°C.

5b62e72e4710d_N1301-032015-07-15P1000742

5b62e73859c33_N13012018-08-02P1040801.th

5b62e74097483_N13022018-08-02P1040802.th

5b62e74a0a9ad_N13032018-08-02P1040805.th

And here a close up of N°1303:

5b62e7d34a120_N13032018-08-02P1040806.th

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

I see, your rachis are really long. My plant's is rather compact in comparison with yours. That's one characteristic that doesn't fit Noblick's description, as he writes that weddelliana's rachis are longer than 65 cm... My largest leaves are about 55-58 cm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
43 minutes ago, abdalav said:

I see, your rachis are really long. My plant's is rather compact in comparison with yours. That's one characteristic that doesn't fit Noblick's description, as he writes that weddelliana's rachis are longer than 65 cm... My largest leaves are about 55-58 cm...

Noblick’s data are mostly true for palms growing in their shady habitats in Serra dos Órgãos and Serra da Estrela, I guess – Following some data of two other S weddelliana:

N°1308 (cf. »The Lyto which wouldn’t grow bigger«): 7 mm / 16 cm / 66 cm Rachis / 50- leaflets on both sides / 37 mm trunk base / 110 cm height (without pot)

N°1306c (cf. »Lyto wedd as bonsai«): 5 mm / 12 cm / 43 cm Rachis / 35 leaflets obs / 16 mm stem base / 43 cm height (wp)

5b62f67e30010_N1306c2018-08-02P1040807.t

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Great, many thanks. Number 1308 is still bigger than mine, but still it's the most similar (regarding measures) of them all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

I have some questions to your palm, too: (1) How long do you own it? (2) Where did you buy it? (3) What is the size of the pot?

Another thing regarding the infos on S weddelliana: According to Noblick or Lorenzi it grows »from 50–800 m elevation«. I found on Google Earth palms growing near Petrópolis at over 900 m altitude (and perhaps also at Terésopolis at over 1000 m*).

(Similar in case of S insignis: »… at elevations of 1000–1800 m«, but I found several photos near Véu de Noiva/ES at 500 m altitude. And even in Noblick 2017, p. 118 are altitudes of 560 m and 600 m recorded.)

*) This could be the cause why seeds of L weddellianum were sold as L insigne in 2013/14 by RPS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav
2 minutes ago, Pal Meir said:

I have some questions to your palm, too: (1) How long do you own it? (2) Where did you buy it? (3) What is the size of the pot?

Another thing regarding the infos on S weddelliana: According to Noblick or Lorenzi it grows »from 50–800 m elevation«. I found on Google Earth palms growing near Petrópolis at over 900 m altitude (and perhaps also at Terésopolis at over 1000 m*).

(Similar in case of S insignis: »… at elevations of 1000–1800 m«, but I found several photos near Véu de Noiva/ES at 500 m altitude. And even in Noblick 2017, p. 118 are altitudes of 560 m and 600 m recorded.)

*) This could be the cause why seeds of L weddellianum were sold as L insigne in 2013/14 by RPS.

I've just bought it, Paul. I don't know how old is it or where has it been grown. I bought it in a shop that has its own greenhouse, but they don't cultivate it. They buy it from a producer about whom I have no information.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, just 60 km from Petrópolis, but the climate of these cities couldn't be more different. Rio is tropical hot. Petrópolis/Teresópolis are kind of temperate. The pot is small (I think 20 cm of height and probably 20-25 cm of diametre). Rio is altitude 0. As you said, Petrópolis is located in a mountain range.

My plant is about 80 cm from the pot. Is the size of the rachis is related to the size of the plant? That's why, maybe the rachis is small?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Oh, and 80 cm is the size of the plant, I'll have to measure the stem, but it seems my stem has the same size as your larger plants, the difference is that my leaves grow more horizontally and yours grow more vertically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
20 minutes ago, abdalav said:

I've just bought it, Paul. I don't know how old is it or where has it been grown. I bought it in a shop that has its own greenhouse, but they don't cultivate it. They buy it from a producer about whom I have no information.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, just 60 km from Petrópolis, but the climate of these cities couldn't be more different. Rio is tropical hot. Petrópolis/Teresópolis are kind of temperate. The pot is small (I think 20 cm of height and probably 20-25 cm of diametre). Rio is altitude 0. As you said, Petrópolis is located in a mountain range.

My plant is about 80 cm from the pot. Is the size of the rachis is related to the size of the plant? That's why, maybe the rachis is small?

You are lucky, you can visit the palm in its habitat, below a pic taken by Marcos L. Britto in 2012 at 900+m elevation: On the left margin you can see an adult S weddelliana with long petioles, but short rachis:

5b631a0961714_TravessianaSerradaEstrela1

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav
Just now, Pal Meir said:

You are lucky, you can visit the palm in its habitat, below a pic taken by Marcos L. Britto in 2012 at 900+m elevation: On the left margin you can see an adult S weddelliana with long petioles, but short rachis:

 

Awesome, thanks for the pics. I understand your point. Descriptions are based on a restricted number of specimens (sometimes just one). 

But my petiole isn't large as you can see in the pictures. It's probably a variation of the type specimen, as Alberto has said earlier...

 

 

20180731_171127 (1)_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

20180731_171103.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
22 minutes ago, abdalav said:

Oh, and 80 cm is the size of the plant, I'll have to measure the stem, but it seems my stem has the same size as your larger plants, the difference is that my leaves grow more horizontally and yours grow more vertically.

Your palm has already grown much more leaves than mine: N°1301, 03, and 08 are just pushing their 25th leaf … So they are beginning to grow a real trunk. When grown in shade the leaves of young palms try to grow as high as possible. N°1308 was grown on a window sill so that it is a little bit more compact.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Thanks for the insights! That's why I wanted your opinion in the first place! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
21 minutes ago, abdalav said:

Awesome, thanks for the pics. I understand your point. Descriptions are based on a restricted number of specimens (sometimes just one). 

But my petiole isn't large as you can see in the pictures. It's probably a variation of the type specimen, as Alberto has said earlier...

The petioles of your palms are shorter because it was grown in a more sunny place. The petioles of my N°1303 (grown on balcony) and N°1308 (grown on window sill) are shorter, too.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

My weddelliana from another angle.

20180802_173924.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

Very nice! It is a 100% typical S weddelliana, no hybrid at all. And it has already developed a real trunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

Your palm reminds me of this little one, growing in Serra da Estrela (©Marcos L. Britto 2012):

5b638081aa511_68354859Britto.thumb.jpg.9

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Yes, these specimens seem to have smaller rachis...

Have you seem the photos of Alberto's hybrids? They really resemble weddelliana, although their leaves are different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir
11 hours ago, abdalav said:

Yes, these specimens seem to have smaller rachis...

Have you seem the photos of Alberto's hybrids? They really resemble weddelliana, although their leaves are different.

The leaf #19 (out of 26) of the window sill grown palm N°1308 (1st pic) has 44 leaflets on both sides and the rachis is only 59 cm long. All S weddelliana with leaves having only max. 45 leaflets obs have a shorter rachis. If they were grown more sun protected than yours they produce a longer petiole (2nd pic, ©Horto das Palmeiras / Rio de Janeiro). The numbers in Noblick 2017 (3rd pic) should be corrected, at least for all palms which have 45 to 60 leaflets obs. — And to your other question: Yes I know Alberto’s thread, but (1) I would expect for an adult hybrid more leaflets (S hoehnei has up to 60 obs) and (2) why should they have in RJ hybrids with S hoehnei, being the home of S weddelliana?

5b64464adf3b6_N13082018-08-03P1040809.th

5b64464e4aaad_HortodasPalmeiras471.thumb

Noblick 2017, p. 216:

5b64465018330_Noblick2017p216.thumb.jpg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pal Meir

The picture of a leaf with ±50 leaflets on both sides in Drude 1881 (http://florabrasiliensis.cria.org.br/) is typical and similar to the blades of most of my S weddelliana. Only the short rachis differs from mine. 

5b64692dd7eab_Drude1881GlaziovaMartiana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Great, Pal. Number 1308's dimensions are similar to my palm (45 leaflets and 58 cm). 

Horto das Palmeiras's weddelliana is kind of ugly. And it costs US$65. I bought my palm for US$ 19 (and it's much prettier).

And your view on hybridization makes sense. There's no reason the producers would hybridize weddell witg hoehnei (a species that's even more rare than weddelliana) in Rio. Unless, they bought one of Alberto's plants and multiplied it :P.

But it's importante to talk to you because you have lots of weddellianas and they are different from each other. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

Abaxial side of the leaflets of (from bottom  to upper side of pic): 

1- S. insigne ES(older) and (from all the species,in this the two blades of the leaflet form an evident angle with the central nerve) All the leaflets of the other species are more flat)

2- S. hoehnei (old fruiting palms)

3- S. weddeliana (2 to 3 meters high fruiting palms, smaller leaflet from young palm)

4- S. weddeliana x S. hoehnei (young plants)

P_20180803_171506_vHDR_On.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

From aboveP_20180803_171758_vHDR_On.thumb.jpg.0f41

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

One of my S. weddel. x  S. hoehnei

P_20180803_165938_vHDR_On.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Your hybrid looks like a regular weddelliana... Did tou trade some of them with someone? Did they grow seeds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

The only noticeable differences are that the leaflets on this young palms  are bigger and wider then the leaflets of old, 3 m high, S.weddeliana 

P_20180803_165908_vHDR_On.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

I've noticed the midrib is more yellowish and the leaflets are more linear than lanceolate.

 

Did you manage to reproduce the hybrids? How old are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

Yes, there are other subtle differences. No, they are to young to flower. I only sent two seedlings to Verena in Germany

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Great. And what's your verdict about my plant?

20180802_173924.thumb.jpg.f57780f609cbdc20180731_171103.thumb.jpg.d5b235d1e85274

Edited by abdalav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alberto

In my eyes not the typical look. I think it's a weddeliana with wide leaflets....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abdalav

Not a hybrid though...

Edited by abdalav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I planted the following three Syagrus species and/or hybrids on my garden lot way back around 2013. I grew most if not all of them from seeds. At one time they were tagged but no longer. I believe one of them (#3) may be S. picrophylla but need confirmation. Nos. 1 & 2 are true unknowns. All of them are smaller and much slower growing than common queens. Nor have they been affected by the fursiarum wilt that killed off all my queens and mules in 2014/15. None of them has flowered yet. They are easy-growing palms that take my climate and soil in stride.
      Syagrus ID #1

    • Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone
      I need this Syagrus species identified please.  I tried under the "Cold Hardy" heading, but got no replies.  All inputs will be welcomed.
      Thank you





    • Marius
      By Marius
      Hi Everyone
      Another mystery palm.  Can anyone please help with identifying this palm.  I suspect it is a Syagrus sp.  Coronata?  Is there a green form?
       


    • masatepino
      By masatepino
      Went on a business trip to a very nice place near Sao Paulo, Brazil. Some seeds made it back home, maybe you can help me ID the species:
      The first one should be an Acrocomia. But maybe not aculeata. Not so spiny, no spines on the stems, and the seedlings without spines.


      The second one is an Attalea.  quite big seeds.


      more photos soon
    • Alicante
      By Alicante
      This Syagrus from Brazil thought that he/she was tired already of being just a simple Syagrus and evolved into a Roystonea. 

       
      Credits to kelen (palmtalk) http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/13535-variedades-de-syagrus-romanzoffiana/ 
      I also found this pic which I posted few years ago here in Palmtalk, within a field of the east coast of Spain. Those Syagrus look pretty cool too:

      Those ones also have a bit of a Roystonea feeling, isn't it? Not sure how they look nowadays. But that Brazilian one (1st pic) is just epic !

      Another Roystonea looking Syagrus. Add some green at the top of the trunk and it can perfectly pass as one. 
×