IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Which palm is hardier, Palmetto or Bermudana?

Palm crazy

People have tried both here and Bermudana always outlives the Palmetto in the long run. But neither is bulletproof here. Anyone else grows the sabal bermudana in z8 with some success? Have a picture?

Ever try the hardier varieties of palmetto like "Mocksville"? PDN touts it as being 7b hardy and Im about to buy one lol. Just figured Id ask. 

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto 

When it comes to trunking sabals here in the southeast, it's palmetto for the win.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

47 minutes ago, mdsonofthesouth said:

Ever try the hardier varieties of palmetto like "Mocksville"? PDN touts it as being 7b hardy and Im about to buy one lol. Just figured Id ask. 

Never even heard of this variety before interesting. Good luck with it let us know what happens! 

44 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

When it comes to trunking sabals here in the southeast, it's palmetto for the win.

It seems to me that Sabal palmetto does better with high heat climates whereas S. bermudana does grow better in cooler climates. But I would think both would do good in S.E. but you never see them together. 

Here is my little Bermudana a slow grower but still alive after a few years. The squirrels have chewed off some of the older leaves.  

DSC_0011.JPG

Edited by Palm crazy
  • Upvote 3

I have both large species and palmetto is more leaf hardy. Bermudana burn at 12f, defoliate under 10. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I have both large species and palmetto is more leaf hardy. Bermudana burn at 12f, defoliate under 10. 

That is really hardy, don't think either would survive 12F here. Hopefully, it will be a long time before I see another 8a winter.  Any pictures of yours?