IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea Torallyi

xvang01

Well guys, after a few weeks of the triple digit we have here in the central valley, CA. My second largest P. tor-tor seem to gave up and slowly dying. This is the 6th Parajubaea that I have planted in my property and the only one that is dying. All other are doing fine. So I am not sure what I did wrong. 

20180723_154509.thumb.jpg.4b9357bd5ac3af

• Upvote 2

You probably didn't do anything wrong. They dont like my climate either.

8 minutes ago, xvang01 said:

Well guys, after a few weeks of the triple digit we have here in the central valley, CA. My second largest P. tor-tor seem to gave up and slowly dying. This is the 6th Parajubaea that I have planted in my property and the only one that is dying. All other are doing fine. So I am not sure what I did wrong. 

20180723_154509.thumb.jpg.4b9357bd5ac3af

Ever considered a Beccariophoenix alfredii? Or (pushing the envelope) a cocos nucifera?

Edited by GottmitAlex
  • Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

Someone told me and I can’t remember who it was that these do not like water during the heat of summer . I have two of them planted out one in full sun and one in shade . They seem to be doing fine even with a couple days we’ll over 110 actually my one in full sun seems to have finally started taking off in the last couple weeks . I think these guys do most of there growing during the cooler months . 

Neither of my sunkha have grown a millimeter in the last 45 days. In May they were growing about 1/2/day of spear per day. Bxpjs is growing faster and faster every day. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Someone told me and I can’t remember who it was that these do not like water during the heat of summer . I have two of them planted out one in full sun and one in shade . They seem to be doing fine even with a couple days we’ll over 110 actually my one in full sun seems to have finally started taking off in the last couple weeks . I think these guys do most of there growing during the cooler months . 

They all on the same water schedule and get watered every 3 days a week. 

Edited by xvang01

I water all of mine heavily during the summer and get good growth even during heat spells. They like their roots on the cool side so baking hot dry ground is not a good thing. My oldest are over 15 years old now so they’re getting BIG.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Try microcarpa. They are much more tolerant than normal torallyi. Torallyi hates heat plus water/humid conditions. Water only during the night once a week.

Edited by Cikas

9 hours ago, Cikas said:

Try microcarpa. They are much more tolerant than normal torallyi. Torallyi hates heat plus water/humid conditions. Water only during the night once a week.

P. mircocarpa, P. Sunkha, and then there are two other P. Tor. Tor about 20 feet away not affected. 

Man! What a bummer! I'm sorry to hear about your torallyi, Xiong. The torallyi var. torallyi I bought from Maria died last summer also. It just went into decline one day and within a matter of a week had completely rotted out. Are you going to replace it with another parajubaea?

Here is a picture I took of that parajubaea last sunmer. It was such a killer palm.

20180208_123917.jpg

11 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Man! What a bummer! I'm sorry to hear about your torallyi, Xiong. The torallyi var. torallyi I bought from Maria died last summer also. It just went into decline one day and within a matter of a week had completely rotted out. Are you going to replace it with another parajubaea?

Here is a picture I took of that parajubaea last sunmer. It was such a killer palm.

20180208_123917.jpg

Yep, very unfortunate. I am planning to pulled this thing out and thinking of putting something less likely to worried about. Over 3 years of hard worked going in the recycling bin. Maybe a blue jubaea x butia or butia x pjc in its place. 

20180716_151203.thumb.jpg.e225d770bae53a

Edited by xvang01
  • Upvote 3

I feel your pain. I have yet to lose a parajubaea to cold, but every once in a while, I lose one in the dog days of summer. My biggest one is about 12' with crazy 12' fronds. I've been checking it daily to see if it's going to survive this hottest July ever. Don't want to jinx it. But I looked up the temps in PJT home territory and found that Vallegrande's hottest month is somewhere in  the low-mid sixties:   https://weatherspark.com/y/28207/Average-Weather-in-Vallegrande-Bolivia-Year-Round

Here's this July's temps in Fresno. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fresno-ca/93702/july-weather/327144

Maybe 90 degrees?  So a whole month so far, hotter than the native habit by 25 +- degrees. Hotter than Miami, which does not tolerate PJs.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for me and you both that it cools off soon, 'cause I think it's not the humidity, it's the heat. Let's wish ourselves good luck that we don't lose any more.

5b5f8cad52bba_parajubaeatorallyi.thumb.j

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

39 minutes ago, Jon T said:

I feel your pain. I have yet to lose a parajubaea to cold, but every once in a while, I lose one in the dog days of summer. My biggest one is about 12' with crazy 12' fronds. I've been checking it daily to see if it's going to survive this hottest July ever. Don't want to jinx it. But I looked up the temps in PJT home territory and found that Vallegrande's hottest month is somewhere in  the low-mid sixties:   https://weatherspark.com/y/28207/Average-Weather-in-Vallegrande-Bolivia-Year-Round

Here's this July's temps in Fresno. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/fresno-ca/93702/july-weather/327144

Maybe 90 degrees?  So a whole month so far, hotter than the native habit by 25 +- degrees. Hotter than Miami, which does not tolerate PJs.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for me and you both that it cools off soon, 'cause I think it's not the humidity, it's the heat. Let's wish ourselves good luck that we don't lose any more.

Yes I agree. It seem to be that the heat kill them likely the humidity because I'm sure central valley show only 0-5% for the last couple weeks and we hit little over 109f degrees. They either  die or stop growth completely.

• Upvote 1

This week will mark 30 days of temperatures above 100 degrees here in Fresno. This Sunday we'll have a cool 98F.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jon T said:

Remember that the Southern Hemisphere is in winter right now. That 64F average is their coldest period. 75F is the average summer max with higher humidity and cloud cover then.

I think that in extreme heat periods the growing bud actually gets slow cooked and dies. At the very least it gets injured and fungus takes over.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

My observation in So Cal is that all the Parajubaea species do well for several years until they form trunks. Then the Cocoides are in first place for developing the funky fungus, followed by Toralyii, if watered too much. Sunka seems pretty solid in my experience. My theory is warm days AND warm nights with regular watering will start the decline. 

• Upvote 1

Mission Viejo, CA

Limited coastal influence

5-10 days of frost

IPS and PSSC Member

I’m in agree with Brett that’s exactly what I was told they do not like cut the water back during extreme heats

2 hours ago, Brett in Mission Viejo said:

My observation in So Cal is that all the Parajubaea species do well for several years until they form trunks. Then the Cocoides are in first place for developing the funky fungus, followed by Toralyii, if watered too much. Sunka seems pretty solid in my experience. My theory is warm days AND warm nights with regular watering will start the decline. 

That was my experience.

• Like 1